19:06, Thu 25 Nov
I guessed that would be the case. To the letter of the law, it is a red card offence. It's just so annoying that no other ref, in no other match, carries out the letter of the law. We'll all see something similar in a match this weekend that will only be deemed to be a yellow. 😡
Do you ever ask yourself
Is there a Heaven in the sky
Why can't we get it right
Cause we all live under the same sun
We all walk under the same moon
Then why, why can't we live as one
19:12, Thu 25 Nov
BluenoseMo
I guessed that would be the case. To the letter of the law, it is a red card offence. It's just so annoying that no other ref, in no other match, carries out the letter of the law. We'll all see something similar in a match this weekend that will only be deemed to be a yellow. 😡

It wasn't, though. Not the way I was trained, at least. For me it doesn't get near the threshold for serious foul play, which is what I understand it was put through as.

Violent conduct for going for the player rather than the ball, perhaps. Wales lost a player to this during Euro 2020. If it was a sending off for serious foul play, though, this shouldn't come into consideration.
19:14, Thu 25 Nov
Aren’t violent conduct and serious foul play the same thing I’d have thought?
Edit - no they aren’t. They’re still separate offences. Woods’ was serious foul play
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
19:19, Thu 25 Nov
Sadly, the ref deemed it as serious foul play so they're never going to pull him up on that decision
Do you ever ask yourself
Is there a Heaven in the sky
Why can't we get it right
Cause we all live under the same sun
We all walk under the same moon
Then why, why can't we live as one
19:46, Thu 25 Nov
It's a joke the whole thing. I've never seen a red given in those circumstances before where a player has clipped someone's trailing foot for a professional foul.
Not 10 mins ago in the Spurs game a player did it, yellow card.

Not saying I don't think these fouls need red carding, but if you do Woods, you do all.
19:50, Thu 25 Nov
In fairness he missed in the Spurs game. And didn't have such a wild swing. But it's so easy to do someone's Achilles. Sessegnon got a yellow first half for threading on a lads Achilles, I'd have sent the chump off for that
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
20:09, Thu 25 Nov
Bluesince62
It's a joke the whole thing. I've never seen a red given in those circumstances before where a player has clipped someone's trailing foot for a professional foul.
Not 10 mins ago in the Spurs game a player did it, yellow card.

Not saying I don't think these fouls need red carding, but if you do Woods, you do all.

It does happen reasonably often. Xhaka has been sent off for it, so has Harry Wilson.
But mostly referees give yellow cards and do not appear to be disciplined for it.

The problem I have is giving different cards for what is essentially the same offence. And the disciplinary committee effectively upholding this by not charging players with serious foul play if they get a yellow, but refusing to overturn a similar red card.

I don't want random decisions and there is no need for it. All the referees should be given the same instructions on tackles from behind. If it is a red card if you make no attempt at the ball then fine, but it should be red for everyone doing it. Not just 5-10% of challenges.
20:12, Thu 25 Nov
Surprised at the time and still am that the referee gave a red for that. No one would have made anything of it if he just issued the standard yellow for that type of foul.

Personally got no problem with a sending off for the taking out of players once they are away from you. We see it to often nowadays and a mandatory red would pretty well cut it out.

Thing is yellow is the normal and that’s why all the pros and the majority of supporters think it was just yellow.

The rule was brought in for professional foul but soon turned into the forensic last man. Resulting in fractionally late challenges seeing an unjust red card and hauling down a player once you have been skinned just being a booking.

Doubt this will be a sea change though, things will just carry on as they are and 95% of this type of offence will be just a booking.
20:13, Thu 25 Nov
Spot on. It shouldn't be this difficult
20:20, Thu 25 Nov
FA rule book says:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

It wasn't that.
20:26, Thu 25 Nov
It was a lunge from behind specifically to take the opponent out. Of course it endangered the opponent.
People have three minds made up, but that rule is clear. And why I've kept my stance for years. If you lunge, feet off the floor and swing wildly, at a player and not the ball, you deserve to go. You're setting out to endanger them basically
20:32, Thu 25 Nov
Rab C Nesbitt
It was a lunge from behind specifically to take the opponent out. Of course it endangered the opponent.
People have three minds made up, but that rule is clear. And why I've kept my stance for years. If you lunge, feet off the floor and swing wildly, at a player and not the ball, you deserve to go. You're setting out to endanger them basically

I don’t think it was a ‘lunge’ or endangering. He hooked his leg back, albeit at speed.

Do you really believe he was setting out to endanger the player? Rather than just stop play because he was too slow and unfit to catch him?

I do agree about people making their minds up and think this was actually an emotional misuse of the rule because it was sooo cynical and unsporting… but that wasn’t the ‘rule’ applied.
20:33, Thu 25 Nov
Which is why my initial refereeing assumption was that he'd dismissed him for violent conduct as a deliberate attempt to take the man rather than challenge for the ball.

That would've been a completely understandable, almost bang-to-rights decision. Upholding a decision of SFP for that challenge doesn't make anywhere near as much sense.

Though, in fairness, I've only watched it back once on a phone screen. I could well be talking out of my arse when it comes to watching it properly on a normal-sized screen.
20:37, Thu 25 Nov
Last one from me on this thread from me.
I think he lunged, swung wildly to kick him, not hook his leg, and by doing that endangered him.
Imo you can’t kick a player purposely without going for the ball. Same as you can’t head someone without going for the ball. I understand people don’t agree, but myself and a few others on here do think he deserved it. More importantly I think we all agree that the lack of consistency is the biggest issue 👍