Re: Your Gabba XI

mad
16:52, Mon 6 Dec
Yep forget what India were able to do last year at the Gabba they are a very good team who went toe to toe with the Aussies slugged out a series clinching win there. England won't do that.

What England need to do to come away from Brisbane with anything (if it doesn't rain for 4 days) is repeat what Jeremy Coney's Kiwi's did there in 1985 and have a worldie like Richard Hadlee take 15 wickets and then batters get double tons. "overcast, cloudy, a bit humid, the pitch was frisky the first morning and they were on and off the field through weather which meant he could bowl for most of the day"

Broad is England's closest equivalent to Hadlee he needs to have one of his "spells" in both innings and inbetween Root and Stokes to get big runs - Jimmy could do likewise
16:53, Mon 6 Dec
Dan
Dan
Hameed
Burns
Malan
Root (c)
Stokes
Pope
Buttler (wk)
Woakes
Robinson
Leach
Anderson

Is the correct answer

thats what i've got
19:57, Mon 6 Dec
mad
As mentioned the weather forecast suggests there will not be too much play. I think a draw would be good for England. Little prep and Australia have a great record at the Gabba.
mad
20:51, Mon 6 Dec
Not sure of the playing regulations there this year but when I've been they even start play early to make time up as there's not the morning dew factor to be concerned about but rather the fading light after 6pm.

Aus v Windies 2000 scheduled start was 10am and they brought it forward to 9.30am on days 2 and 3 there was similar at the MCG in 1998 after the Boxing Day's play was washed out - Dean Headley bowled them out on Day 4 which began early, became a very long day's play with almost a 4 hour last session possibly the longest day's play in a test match.

The ground is apparently quick drying but it does look like a lot of rain will fall although it could be mostly showery and come and go

Not in the best place to judge but from here the best scenario will be to win the toss and insert them otherwise it'll be difficult to win if it becomes a 2 and a half day game. Aussies will probably insert England too if they win the toss as they'll want to get at our fragile batting
20:55, Mon 6 Dec
Dan
Dan
Hameed
Burns
Malan
Root (c)
Stokes
Pope
Buttler (wk)
Woakes
Robinson
Leach
Anderson

Is the correct answer

I like this. The batting looks fragile but it’s the best of what’s there.
21:25, Mon 6 Dec
IanT
Agreed.

Robinson's the first name on the list for me. He can do for us what Hazlewood does for them....keep it tight, top of off, etc.

If Stokes can bowl there's no need for Anderson AND Broad.

Agree re Robinson - he also strikes me as pretty tough mentally which is always an asset in Oz. The lesson from the last away Ashes series is that you need variety in the seam attack, so need Woods as the only genuinely fast bowler left standing needs to be on top of his game and to stay fit. I hope he proves me wrong but got a feeling this may be a tour too far for Broad.
21:33, Mon 6 Dec
BlueWire
IanT
Agreed.

Robinson's the first name on the list for me. He can do for us what Hazlewood does for them....keep it tight, top of off, etc.

If Stokes can bowl there's no need for Anderson AND Broad.

Agree re Robinson - he also strikes me as pretty tough mentally which is always an asset in Oz. The lesson from the last away Ashes series is that you need variety in the seam attack, so need Woods as the only genuinely fast bowler left standing needs to be on top of his game and to stay fit. I hope he proves me wrong but got a feeling this may be a tour too far for Broad.

Every time I start thinking that he puts in a match winning stint. 🤞
mad
21:59, Mon 6 Dec
Interesting (or is it a bluff?) about how they've changed the Kookaburra

[www.theage.com.au]

Stays harder for longer apparently and incorporates a new "plastic lining under the leather, added by the manufacturer after a request from Cricket Australia to find ways of getting it to swing and seam for longer periods."

Can't figure out if this is good/bad for England's chances
Dan
22:49, Mon 6 Dec
mad
Anderson is injured. Wood in for him in my team
mad
22:53, Mon 6 Dec
Dan
Latest from the Brisbane 7-day forecast.

[www.weatherzone.com.au]

Wednesday looking better at least for the first session, Thursday and Friday not looking good at all.
Saturday looks like the best bet for a full day. Rain again Sunday afternoon
07:03, Tue 7 Dec
mad
1. Hameed
2. Burns
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Pope
6. Stokes
7. Butler
8. Woakes
9. Broad
10. Wood
11. Leach

I like the look of that. Wood at 9 is one place higher than I’d like.
09:37, Tue 7 Dec
Dan
He’s not injured.
Dan
09:42, Tue 7 Dec
You don't leave your best bowler out of the first test of a series if he's fully fit and wanting to play, not a chance.
09:43, Tue 7 Dec
Dan
Yep seems a bit of smokescreen
The all night frowning and grumbling starts again..
Heart says 2-1 England.
Head says 3-1 Aussies.