Dan
You don't leave your best bowler out of the first test of a series if he's fully fit and wanting to play, not a chance.

Of course there is a ‘chance’ that’s what’s happened. He’s a 39-year-old pace bowler.
Do you think Anderson has five tests in him in this series then? If so and fingers crossed we make a good start, at what point do you leave him out?
Because trust me, they will leave him out, at least once.
13:29, Tue 7 Dec
Redditch Blue
Dan
You don't leave your best bowler out of the first test of a series if he's fully fit and wanting to play, not a chance.

Of course there is a ‘chance’ that’s what’s happened. He’s a 39-year-old pace bowler.
Do you think Anderson has five tests in him in this series then? If so and fingers crossed we make a good start, at what point do you leave him out?

Then they would just say he's been rested for this one, he's injured, theres no need to lie about it, its irrelevant to whether he can play 5 tests or not.

Chances are they would have rested Broad for this one as he's coming off a previous injury.

Re: Ashes predictions?

14:35, Tue 7 Dec
mad
I don’t agree with this at all.

England aren’t going to win with trundling medium pace, if you have one actual fast bowler you have to play him.

Using a trundling medium pacer as variety from…another trundling medium pacer, will not work.

You need the spinner, even if it’s not turning. There is no reason to suppose Leach would get smashed out of the attack any more than one of the dobbers would.

If the weather goes the way it’s supposed to for this match the workload on the seamers shouldn’t be too bad and we are undercooked going in so unless we play really badly (which of course is always possible) or knock the Aussies in a heap, which seems less likely, this may be hard to call either way.

And the other point is that in all the years I have been watching England trying to go with an all seam attack has been a bit crap. I only have to think back as far as the summer when we were going to blow New Zealand away with pace…and that was in our own conditions.
14:43, Tue 7 Dec
You're correct Spike.

Variety in the attack is essential in Australia.

Both Saqib Mahmood and Reece Topley are both out in Australia, and both would give us variation if Wood isn't fit and the others are too similar.

I'm not even sure why Overton is in the squad if I'm honest. He's bang ordinary.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
14:45, Tue 7 Dec
Is Topley a left armer?

We’ve needed a good one for a long while, to add variety
What did the Knights in White satin?
14:46, Tue 7 Dec
Tall
Is Topley a left armer?

We’ve needed a good one for a long while, to add variety

Yes, and the only reason he'd be considered really....6ft 7in and a left-armer for that variation.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
HackneyBlue
Redditch Blue
Dan

Then they would just say he's been rested for this one, he's injured, theres no need to lie about it, its irrelevant to whether he can play 5 tests or not.

Chances are they would have rested Broad for this one as he's coming off a previous injury.

That’s what Buttler pretty much has said. They’ve left him out as a precaution, ie they could pick him if they want, but they know he hasn’t got five tests in him.
As you say, why lie, because if he is crocked then I doubt he’s going to appear at Adelaide either, and then they’ll look pretty daft. But I don’t think they are lying.
Going back to Dan’s post, it’s also highly debatable to say that Anderson is in theory our ‘best’ bowler in Brisbane. The bloke has been an absolute beast for us and he’s my favourite ever England player, but I wouldn’t pick him, over say Broad for example, at the Gabba now.
Of all the confirmed venues, this is definitely the one where history suggests Jimmy will be least effective.
You don’t have to agree with me and obviously don’t, but I don’t think we need to say people are lying either when you have no evidence whatsoever of that.
Dan
15:05, Tue 7 Dec
I like to be cynical and make brazen, sweeping statements with nothing factual to back them up though.
15:15, Tue 7 Dec
Dan
Haha. If Anderson is injured, then it’s incredibly foolish of England to have him bowling at a good lick in the nets yesterday.
You’d have him in cotton wool until the end of this test surely? And then try and get him in the nets once in Adelaide.

Re: Ashes predictions?

mad
16:34, Tue 7 Dec
If we happened to have a half decent spinner yeah I'd agree. But we haven't. Therefore just playing one for the sake of it when we have better options in the seam department and on pitches that won't spin is as much of a gamble as any other option (in Brisbane particularly). Brisbane won't be anything like Leach's minefield Ciderabad nor Simon Harmer's Chelmsford.

If the pitch looks like it might offer something and the weather conditions look set to enable a 4 day game then sure pick Leach. It won't though it'll be a typical Brisbane wicket and a 2 and a half day game so you're better off picking your best 4 bowlers and stiffening up the lower order.

I suppose at least now Jimmy's out there won't be three number 11 rabbits in the line up - just Wood and, if selected - Leach

Stokes through the air and Root into the pitch between them will do whatever holding job Leach is being sent out to do (should it go wrong and Aussies are 300-2) from one end in overs 65 till the new ball. Rain delays and breaks are likely to negate the need to go down that route in Brisbane. Potentially can keep Robinson, Woakes, Broad and Wood at them for better part of 2 days
Dan
18:22, Tue 7 Dec
mad
Jack Leach is a much better spinner than you're giving him credit for.
mad
19:34, Tue 7 Dec
Dan
If we had 5 glorious uninterrupted days of sunshine ahead I too would pick Leach and hide behind the sofa

He'll be very handy at Sydney and might be useful if it's dry in Melbourne

Personally feel he's just waste of a batting spot anywhere else (better off having a number 9 in Robinson and a number 10 in Broad alongside the pace of Wood at number 11) and he will only come on to bowl after 55/60 overs by which time if England haven't got well into their middle order it's too late anyway. Wood will be needed at this point to blow their tail away. Unlikely to be getting a chance to bowl 2nd innings

Probablu should have picked Livingstone not for Brisbane but for the 2 pink ball tests
20:02, Tue 7 Dec
mad
Jack Leach has 62 test wickets at an average of below 30.
Nathan Lyon gets his wickets at an average of 32 (albeit he has nearly 400 wickets)
The King of Spain got his wickets at an average of over 40.

Leach is the least of our worries.
"supporters should be patient a little while longer - sunshine days are just around the corner."
Ken Wheldon - March 18th 1988
20:48, Tue 7 Dec
What time is play expected to end (UK time?) Hoping to set an alarm to catch the last couple of hours play in the morning

Just seen that BBC will have a highlights package on the iplayer after 5pm each day for anyone without BT sports too
20:57, Tue 7 Dec
I’ve just paid £25 for the rolling monthly contract to Bt, worth it. I think play is scheduled to finish at 7 am, but stand to be corrected, with the rain around it might be longer anyway.