Re: Ashes predictions?

mad
20:57, Tue 7 Dec
Scheduled close of play will be 7am UK time with the extra half hour making it 7.30 but with all the rain interuptions expected these times could slip but I doubt they will slip by much due to the quickly fading light beings as they are sub tropical the sun slips behind the CBD buildings and disappears into the bush quickly - so they won't go too far past 8am even with floodlights assistance

In terms of the weather there's not much chance of it wiping out entire days of play.
There's at least some chance of rain every day. But this is not the sort of weather pattern where relentless steady rain will lash the southeast Queensland coastline, washing out entire days of play. More likely, an hour or two will be lost here and there, especially post-lunch and into the afternoon sessions.

Of course, severe storms could throw a spanner in the works.

Based on this the best bet for those still working will be to stay up and watch the first session then hit the sack as soon as lunch is called at 2am and catch up with the remainder/highlights in the morning
21:01, Tue 7 Dec
mad
mad
Scheduled close of play will be 7am UK time with the extra half hour making it 7.30 but with all the rain interuptions expected these times could slip but I doubt they will by much due to the fading light they won't go too far past 8am even with floodlights assistance

In terms of the weather it's not much chance of it wiping out entire days of play.
There's at least some chance of rain every day. But this is not the sort of weather pattern where relentless steady rain will lash the southeast Queensland coastline, washing out entire days of play. More likely, an hour or two will be lost here and there, especially post-lunch and into the afternoon sessions.

Of course, severe storms could throw a spanner in the works.

Based on this the best bet for those still working will be to stay up and watch the first session then hit the sack as soon as lunch is called at 2am and catch up with the remainder/highlights in the morning

That’s my plan nailed on, just need the nipper to sleep past 6am….
mad
21:05, Tue 7 Dec
Some absolutely cracking hailstorms have hammered the Gabba over the years, and that sort of weather can never be ruled out in this type of weather set-up.

There was one last year or the year before and they still managed to mop up and get some play after tea

If anyone's never seen rain in Brisbane let me tell you it is PROPER rain but the ground will have 30 degree sun on it as soon as it stops so will dry quite quickly

Rain did save England from certain defeat at the Gabba in 1998 when Day 5 was wiped out
22:42, Tue 7 Dec
mad
Starting to get excited….. watching some ashes pre test bits on tele to get ready.
mad
22:51, Tue 7 Dec
Sounds like Leach is in. Fair enough but will potentially miss Broad unless Woakes can do the bizo
22:57, Tue 7 Dec
mad
Are you sure Woakes is in, not Broad and Leach?
23:20, Tue 7 Dec
mad
mad
Sounds like Leach is in. Fair enough but will potentially miss Broad unless Woakes can do the bizo

You are correct, Leach in!
23:21, Tue 7 Dec
no Broad
23:26, Tue 7 Dec
GBlue
no Broad

No Broad or Anderson, bold move, maybe it not what the Aussies have planned for.
23:34, Tue 7 Dec
We won the toss
What did the Knights in White satin?
23:40, Tue 7 Dec
Tall
We won the toss

Batting first…. Christ I hope we get through the first session.
23:42, Tue 7 Dec
I was there in 2010 when we got 535-1 in the second innings. Sat in the row behind John McCririck and then on the flight to Adelaide all the England team were on there and got to speak to a few, in the queue for the loo next to Alastair Cook! Wish I was there now!!
23:43, Tue 7 Dec
Was Adam Gilchrist a double for the Orcs in lord of the rings?
23:51, Tue 7 Dec
Hope so too. Three number 11’s in the batting lineup though
What did the Knights in White satin?
23:55, Tue 7 Dec
I was there in 2006 - not such happy memories, Nasser won the toss and elected to bowl.

Harmy's first ball went to 2nd slip and it went downhill from there.

I first went there in 1998 when it was still a cricket ground rather than a concrete bowl, a far better ground.

The security was so strict in 2006 I vowed never to go to the Gabba ever again.

I've done 5 tours to Oz and was fortunate to witness a 3-1 win in 2010, but in the other 4 tours seen only 2 wins.

My prediction - Pain.