09:42, Tue 7 Dec
On another thread I have referred to constantly changing the manager being a recipe for disaster.

However, even I had forgotten or tried to forget just how bad the situation has been at the Blues until something reminded me this morning that next week represents five years since Rowett was sacked.

We are now on our SEVENTH manager in that time.

Yet some still wonder why each season we seem to struggle.

Each manager has his own ideas on style of play and the players he wants resulting in muddled thinking and "consistent inconsistency".

To be fair our owners aren't alone in this. Look throughout the Championship and you can see a number of clubs who have fallen into the same trap.

Non-football businesses don't generally make the same mistake so why do so many club owners think it a good idea to constantly change the man at the top?
09:48, Tue 7 Dec
Five dark dark dark years.

I still remember the day we made that absolutely ludicrous decision.

Like when JFK was shot. It'll never leave me.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:05, Tue 7 Dec
I agree with you but none of the departed have covered themselves in glory since. Rowett ballsed it up at a couple of clubs and is now treading water. Redknapp……well, Cotterill is at the wrong end of the table with Shrewsbury, Monk turned out to be a busted flush in Sheffield and Pep, having overachieved before getting sacked at Brescia is currently underachieving at Spal.

Gardner, of course, has gone on to greater glory.

More to the point, what has Rowett done to himself? suave and handsome with us, haggard old tramp at Millwall.
10:07, Tue 7 Dec
Zola hasn't messed up since leaving Blues.
10:09, Tue 7 Dec
In hindsight Pep did quite well with us didn't he. Or was he aided by having the best teenager in the world carry us at times?

Monk really annoyed me, if he could just have been happy being a manager rather than fiddling with agents we were onto something good.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:12, Tue 7 Dec
I dunno, we played some decent stuff early on but he was up against it from the start and people weren't really prepared to give him a chance. I think he was better than he was given credit for. Went a bit tits up after the post covid resumption and whether it was him, the players us or all of it, there was no heart or joy left.
10:16, Tue 7 Dec
Post Covid was a weird, perfect storm that I don't really blame Pep for. Players downed tools, they panicked, the management panicked. The stupid "stepping down" thing didn't help.

He played nice stuff and then shit himself, like Bowyer has a bit but I hope that's down to injuries.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:17, Tue 7 Dec
One thing I would say is that if you have the wrong manager and he is clearly the wrong manager you do hve to get rid of him as soon as possible. This clearly applies to four of our managers
Zola, Redknapp, Cotterill & Karanka and probably a fifth in Clotet.

Each of them was damaging the club more the longer they stayed. With Clotet I don't think he was cut out to be a manager, but without the pandemic and cutbacks it didn't have to end so badly.

The question is why we keep appointing such unsuitable people and falling out with the ok appointments? With such a record it is amazing we haven't been relegated.
10:17, Tue 7 Dec
I can't see yet another change of Manager as doing any good. I don't reckon Pep Guardiola could get much more out of the present players than LB is doing ,mid table is as good as they are.
10:28, Tue 7 Dec
Most of the managerial changes were absolutely necessary

Cotterill was a disaster, we were going down, same goes for Zola and Karanka. Redknapp didn't seem to want to be there.

For the most part the problem hasn't necessarily been sacking managers, it's been appointing the wrong ones in the first place.
10:45, Tue 7 Dec
Le Mod

Cotterill was a disaster, we were going down, same goes for Zola and Karanka. Redknapp didn't seem to want to be there.

For the most part the problem hasn't necessarily been sacking managers, it's been appointing the wrong ones in the first place.

Spot on. With the addition that the shite managers seem to be the ones who are backed financially (Cotterill aside) while the good ones are counting the pennies.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:45, Tue 7 Dec
Le Mod

Agreed, even with the ridiculous Rowett sacking. Zola was the main problem.

We should absolutely stick with Bowyer for a couple of seasons at least.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:46, Tue 7 Dec
Super Hans
Le Mod

Spot on. With the addition that the shite managers seem to be the ones who are backed financially (Cotterill aside) while the good ones are counting the pennies.

It's almost as if the clown in charge of the transfers picked the bad managers and sulked whenever his boss picked a good one.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
10:48, Tue 7 Dec
Le Mod

I am not suggesting any of those who have been replaced, including Rowett and Monk, were necessarily the long term answer and agree it is vital to appoint the right man in the first place.

Failure to do so results in seven managers in five years and we know where that gets us.
10:54, Tue 7 Dec
Five dark dark dark years.

I still remember the day we made that absolutely ludicrous decision.

Like when JFK was shot. It'll never leave me.

😁