20:24, Fri 7 Jan
gerry1875
I would take blooming Ken Wheldon back, over these lot now

I wouldn't be unhappy if Ashley was our owner since he would look to ensure that the Club would operate within its means.

Hence my remarks about Derby noticing a difference when compared with their Mel Morris era.
20:29, Fri 7 Jan
Dirty Bertie
gerry1875

I wouldn't be unhappy if Ashley was our owner since he would look to ensure that the Club would operate within its means.

Hence my remarks about Derby noticing a difference when compared with their Mel Morris era.
Ashley would be great for us, if only we could get the shackles of the present owners off us, they have held us back for years now, they must realise they are flogging a dead horse, let someone else have a go and at least ive us something to look forward to
20:48, Fri 7 Jan
gerry1875
Dirty Bertie
gerry1875

Ashley would be great for us, if only we could get the shackles of the present owners off us, they have held us back for years now, they must realise they are flogging a dead horse, let someone else have a go and at least ive us something to look forward to
It may be an unpopular opinion but I don't think that we are seen as having sufficient potential to attract someone like Ashley.

And this image of us existed before Carson and the current lot came on the scene.

The Gollivans were unsuccessful in finding any other investors and weren't inundated with offers when they chose to sell.

For as long as I can remember we have kidded ourselves on regarding the size of our support and our standing in the game.

I have been going to St Andrews since 1958 and I'm afraid we have never been seen as potentially a "big" club.
20:59, Fri 7 Jan
Dirty Bertie
gerry1875
Dirty Bertie
gerry1875

It may be an unpopular opinion but I don't think that we are seen as having sufficient potential to attract someone like Ashley.

And this image of us existed before Carson and the current lot came on the scene.

The Gollivans were unsuccessful in finding any other investors and weren't inundated with offers when they chose to sell.

For as long as I can remember we have kidded ourselves on regarding the size of our support and our standing in the game.

I have been going to St Andrews since 1958 and I'm afraid we have never been seen as potentially a "big" club.
I have actually said this myself mate, Big in name carrying the name of the 2nd city, but on the football front we are no bigger than clubs Burnley, Preston etc, but even clubs like these have had successful periods in their history, winning leagues and FA Cups, we cant compete with that, its a shame because a city the size of Birmingham should have successful football clubs, the thing that annoys me is the amount of middle aged men now wearing Chelsea, Man City etc tops, these guys were born and bred in birmingham long before the Premier League, Sky, Internet era, when i was a lad growing up it was Villa or Blues, maybe a few West brom, there is no way these middle aged men were chelsea or Man City fans back in the 70s
21:11, Fri 7 Jan
True.

Back in those days the only club that attracted much, if any, non heritage support was Man U off the back of the Munich tragedy.

Different these days. I was recently asked by an acquaintance (having acknowledged that I was a Blues fan) who my team was in the PL.

Choked on my beer!!
21:16, Fri 7 Jan
Surprised, big debts to pay off. Ashley would be brilliant compared to our owners.
21:18, Fri 7 Jan
Dirty Bertie
True.

Back in those days the only club that attracted much, if any, non heritage support was Man U off the back of the Munich tragedy.

Different these days. I was recently asked by an acquaintance (having acknowledged that I was a Blues fan) who my team was in the PL.

Choked on my beer!!
There is a chap goes in my local, used to come everywhere with us home and away with the Blues, he reckons he is a Chelsea fan and said he always was even growing up and only came to Blues games for the craic, its aload of piffle, he has a Blues crest on his right arm, which he now conveniently never shows
21:18, Fri 7 Jan
Super Hans
Redditch Blue
That’s debatable, certainly.

Is it? Newcastle stayed in the PL plenty when he was around and when they did drop they came straight back up. Then when he did sell it was to some of the wealthiest people in the world.

Of course it’s debatable. If it’s not debatable, then tell me what you think Derby and Ashley will go on to achieve together in, say, 5-10 years’ time? Nobody has anywhere idea how it will work out, surely?

Regards Newcastle, this largely established premier league team never came anywhere near actually winning anything during his tenure despite being a pretty big club in terms of attendance.

Not sure how much credit you can give him for selling to the Saudis either. I think that’s despite him not because of him, but that’s only my opinion. By your logic, Tony Xia did a great job at Villa.
21:57, Fri 7 Jan
Tilton shark
Over what we have now I would take him in a heartbeat.

Without a doubt.
21:59, Fri 7 Jan
Most Newcastle fans have the IQ of a bag of Quavers
What did the Knights in White satin?
22:13, Fri 7 Jan
I think Ashley will save them from folding for a start and then potentially get them up to the PL, there’s no debate that would be a good job.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
22:17, Fri 7 Jan
I agree.
22:51, Fri 7 Jan
Dirty Bertie
gerry1875
Dirty Bertie
gerry1875

True, apart from the early 1970s after we were promoted. Blues averaged over 36,000 fans at home games in 1972-73 and were the 4th best supported team in the country! Only Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal boasted higher averages. The following season we dropped to 5th highest, but in the 15 years that followed, we slid down to something like 50th in the country for many reasons that have been discussed before.

It's those years of the Francis, Latchford, Hatton era that have given us the sleeping giant tag, although of course almost 50 years on, the world is a completely different place with money and tv now dictating who the true giants are.

But the potential is still undoubtedly there to punch far higher. Less than 20 years ago we were filling our 29,500 capacity most weeks and would no doubt have attracted more if we'd had a bigger ground. Sadly, at the moment there's absolutely nothing about our club that can possibly rekindle that level of support.
23:13, Fri 7 Jan
But even in our PL days the attendances soon dropped after the novelty wore off.

Sadly I think that if we were to get promoted we wouldn't average more than 25,000. Hardly big club numbers.
23:33, Fri 7 Jan
The attendances dropped off when Longbridge closed down - and when we were spending buttons on DJ Campbell when teams around us were spending £30m on reforming their squads.