11:12, Sat 8 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Dirty Bertie
Rab C Nesbitt
Owners is how you have the best chance of being established, definitely. We’re stuffed

I have known 7 different ownership regimes in my time and in all honesty it has never really been much different.

Okay the present lot are truly something else but,no matter who was in charge, we have never looked like being a major club. Certainly not in the medium to long term.
I think there was a hope and a chance of that happening just under 20 years ago. We blew it though. Now it's vile or Newcastle money for us to get us top 10 prem in 5 years. And that's very unlikely to happen

Tbf I don't think that we blew it so much as the realisation of what was needed.

The Gollivans did much good for us but once we were in the PL it became clear that they were either unable or unwilling to make that financial commitment themselves.

They looked for other sources of investment but,perhaps because our lack of potential was obvious even then, none was forthcoming.

Hence the opportunity was lost.
11:13, Sat 8 Jan
Birmingham has a population of 1.2 million roughly, more than enough punters to go around for owners with a bit of foresight.
11:16, Sat 8 Jan
Yeah fair. We were also very good to them financially and they were happy having the prestige of owning a Club and would only have sold us to someone paying silly (or dirty) money. Which of course happened and we now the rest.
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
11:18, Sat 8 Jan
There's far more to assessing the potential of a football club than population.

Otherwise Burnley would not be in the PL.
11:19, Sat 8 Jan
Owners are not looking at crowds these days. But reach. Man Utd are not a Manchester club. They are a global brand. Even though 98% of their bandwagoners couldn’t find Manchester on a map of Greater Manchester.

And crowds are less important than the television income stream. Look at how the Premier League tried to stuff the Football League in the pandemic.

The thing is, Blues could easily be, and more easily than (say) Chelsea because of the city name recognition. But of course that needs a spare billion or so. And I’m not sure I’d like that.

There’s also the class issue to consider. I know there are plenty of working class Vilers but it is indisputable that they also have many more richer and better connected supporters. Who is the most connected Blues fan? The city’s mayor is Vile, I think most of the MPs are Vile, even the effing next but one king is Vile. Easy enough for them to pull strings. Who have we got? A couple of actors and the Carrott.
11:22, Sat 8 Jan
True. It did them no harm and provided the resources for them to move in at West Ham.

It soon became clear that they weren't bothered about the consequences to us of selling to Carson.

So much for all the talk when they were with us of how much they had come to love the Blues.

Yeah right 🙄
11:26, Sat 8 Jan
Absolutely Bertie 👍
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
11:37, Sat 8 Jan
Dirty Bertie

6 premier league clubs with decent owners in the prem, 2 in manchester 2 in liverpool, but only 1 in birmingham. The potential is there.
12:09, Sat 8 Jan
Greebo joe
Dirty Bertie

6 premier league clubs with decent owners in the prem, 2 in manchester 2 in liverpool, but only 1 in birmingham. The potential is there.

Man U are successful despite their owners, not because of them and Liverpool were a worldwide club/brand long before the current owners came along.

Not certain that the majority of Everton fans would agree about their owners.

As for potential it is the same with players, they need to display something that suggests it exists.

Aside from population which is,in any event, a weak metric we have displayed little to suggest we have much potential.
12:14, Sat 8 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Yeah fair. We were also very good to them financially and they were happy having the prestige of owning a Club and would only have sold us to someone paying silly (or dirty) money. Which of course happened and we now the rest.

Is the reason they couldn't attract other investment the fact that others didn't want to work with them or they just wanted too much money. Nothing to do with us but them ? It says a lot that the only person willing to pat their price was bent.

As for the crowds in the Prem we left there 10 years ago and tickets are still considerably now than then, that answers the dropping crowds - Gollivans pushed the price too high for the product on offer.
BCFC - Letting me down for 49 years
12:25, Sat 8 Jan
👍
12:37, Sat 8 Jan
I wasen’t comparing us with Liverpol or United 😁 potential was there when we were in the prem but sully fecked that up. Palace and Brentford doing alright Everyon have spent millions and are moving to a new stadium ( if only).
15:46, Sat 8 Jan
Dirty Bertie

Of course it's there, just because blues haven't had the right owners yet doesn't mean they never will. I know Blues fans are well known for being a bit dour and pessimistic, but bloody hell - if you can't see that the City of Birmingham could have 2 big clubs in it I give up. It isn't because the club has never had the potential - it certainly has - it's because we have never had the owners...yet. I'm with you Greebs 👍
16:43, Sat 8 Jan
The city of Birmingham could have two big clubs but it never has.

The issues that would attract an ambitious owner are linked to brand and global reach, not attendances.

Sadly, as a city Birmingham isn't seen in the same light as either Manchester or Liverpool and I am not referring to football.

The big club round here doesn't carry the city's name and, indeed, many foreign followers of the PL have no idea that Aston is even in Birmingham and don't care.

The city's image is such that it could be said to be fortunate to have even one big club never mid two.
17:57, Sat 8 Jan
bluearmyfaction
Owners are not looking at crowds these days. But reach. Man Utd are not a Manchester club. They are a global brand. Even though 98% of their bandwagoners couldn’t find Manchester on a map of Greater Manchester.

And crowds are less important than the television income stream. Look at how the Premier League tried to stuff the Football League in the pandemic.

The thing is, Blues could easily be, and more easily than (say) Chelsea because of the city name recognition. But of course that needs a spare billion or so. And I’m not sure I’d like that.

There’s also the class issue to consider. I know there are plenty of working class Vilers but it is indisputable that they also have many more richer and better connected supporters. Who is the most connected Blues fan? The city’s mayor is Vile, I think most of the MPs are Vile, even the effing next but one king is Vile. Easy enough for them to pull strings. Who have we got? A couple of actors and the Carrott.

The leader of Birmingham City Council is a Bluenose