This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Electricity Usage

Erika
14:03, Monday 20 March 2017
Anyone got any experience of challenging/understanding high electricity usage?

We are 2 people living in a 4 bed detached house and our electricity bill for the last 6 months is £497 (4240 Kilowatt hours)

We both work full time but different shifts so there might be times when my partner is home all day and I'm home all night. Like most people we leave phone chargers etc and kettles plugged in but other than that I don't see how we are different to anyone else.

All the light bulbs have been changed to energy efficient ones and we can't get a Smart meter in our area yet. Looked at the comparison websites and there isn't any provider that could bring our bills down.

No we don't have a cannabis factory in our loft before anyone asks!

Any (sensible) suggestions on how we can understand why the usage is so high?
Tweet Topic

Registered users can enjoy SHA without adverts for less than £1.00 per month. Click here for more details...

Re: Electricity Usage

No more Fosters replying to Erika
14:04, Monday 20 March 2017
perhaps your neighbour is using your electric for their cannabis factory?
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to Erika
14:06, Monday 20 March 2017
Hi Erika, what are you wearing?
This post is paid for by Small Heath Alliance

Never EVER forget!

[www.smallheathalliance.com]
Tweet Topic

generalBlue replying to Erika
14:06, Monday 20 March 2017
How many rechargeable 'Toys' in the house ........be honest, your answer may be recorded for training purposes
Quote 18/6/2017
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
This stone-broke Tone bloke is perfect for them. Let's cherish his tenure.
Tweet Topic

Rags replying to Erika
14:07, Monday 20 March 2017

We are 2 people living in a 4 bed detached house and our electricity bill for the last 6 months is £497 (4240 Kilowatt hours)

We both work full time but different shifts so there might be times when my partner is home all day and I'm home all night. Like most people we leave phone chargers etc and kettles plugged in but other than that I don't see how we are different to anyone else.

All the light bulbs have been changed to energy efficient ones and we can't get a Smart meter in our area yet. Looked at the comparison websites and there isn't any provider that could bring our bills down.

what's your gas bill ? ... ie do you cook / heat with electric too ?
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to No more Fosters
14:07, Monday 20 March 2017
I doubt it knowing our neighbours.
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to Rags
14:08, Monday 20 March 2017
Rags

Gas for the same 6 month period was £386. Electric oven and gas hob. Probably use the oven 4 days out of 7.
Heating is all gas.
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to generalBlue
14:09, Monday 20 March 2017
I have no idea what you would be referring too :)
Tweet Topic

Akita replying to Erika
14:18, Monday 20 March 2017
Ask neighbour. Thats your Winter bills so will be higher.
Tweet Topic

Rags replying to Erika
14:20, Monday 20 March 2017

Rags

Gas for the same 6 month period was £386. Electric oven and gas hob. Probably use the oven 4 days out of 7.
Heating is all gas.

4240 Kilowatt hours for last 6 months (8,480 for a year) with someone in all the time (but no kids) in a detached house with heating supplied by gas is far too high ... you should be using around 4500 kWh/year max ....

you need to look at electric shower / fridge / freezer / all those things on standby / leaving lights on etc ... but most of all look at the way you use the washing machine and tumble dryer
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to Erika
14:22, Monday 20 March 2017
Atleast you're making savings in other areas, like with that electric car that you bought.

Never EVER forget!

Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to Erika
14:36, Monday 20 March 2017
buy a battery powered dildo
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
Tweet Topic

WorcsAzul replying to Erika
14:38, Monday 20 March 2017
You can buy your own electricity monitor to strap-on to your existing system, which will act as a smart meter. In that way you can see what high use sources you have at home.

Alternatively just throw the mains switch so you have no power at all. If you keep getting bills then someone is stealing your electricity. Perhaps see if the any neighbours houses suddenly go dark when you throw the mains switch!!

Otherwise just bask in the knowledge your partner and you are probably saving someone else money by paying all or part of their bill for them.
Tweet Topic

Rags replying to Rags
14:50, Monday 20 March 2017
If you google "how to cut electric consumption" there are some scary facts ...

leaving a coffee machine on standby costs £80.00 a year

not filling the kettle every time you use it (just measure the water you put in it by the number of cupfuls needed) can save £60 a year

dishwasher ? .. can easily add £100 a year

even with energy saving light bulbs your lighting will probably account for 8% of all electric bills

CHARGE YOUR MOBILE PHONE AT WORK .... !! this is what work is for (that and getting paid to take a dump)

tumble dryer ? wrong one can cost you an extra £110 a year

extractor fan ? ... blimey, if that comes on automatically it can burn electric .. open a window instead

washing machine ... do you really need high temp washes ? use bio powder meant for cool washes

only use washing machine if full

shower ? if electric then turn the pressure down for power washes etc

security lights on all night ... replace with motion detector ones

fridge/freezer door seals ... can cost you a fortune in electric if faulty

costs less to run a freezer if it's full (because otherwise if enmpty, when you open the door more space fills up with warm air)

PC / laptops / dvds / tv / phones ... plug them into power strips with individual switches and only turn on when needed

vaccuum the back of your fridge / freezer free from dust etc

blah blah .. there are thousands of ways to cut energy bills easily in half
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to Rags
14:59, Monday 20 March 2017
Yeah someone has just suggested turning every single appliance off for 15 mins and then seeing if the meter is still ticking over.

No tumble dryer, we use the dishwasher every other way and washing machine twice a week.
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to Rags
15:00, Monday 20 March 2017
cheers for that, some strange ones in there you wouldn't think of!
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to WorcsAzul
15:01, Monday 20 March 2017
Don't use the word strap-on in a thread where A&E and Thongs have already commented!

Will have a look at a bolt on smart meter though.
Tweet Topic

WorcsAzul replying to Erika
15:05, Monday 20 March 2017
....but its you that picked up on it Erika;)

We had an Owl monitor before we were upgraded to a smart meter by our supplier. I think it costs around £30-40 from Amazon.
Tweet Topic

Rags replying to WorcsAzul
15:09, Monday 20 March 2017

We had an monitor before we were upgraded to a smart by our supplier. I think it costs around £30-40 from Amazon.

My monitor is an Owl too ... well worth the cost, although you can become obsessed with saving mere pennies once you have one (which makes you guilty about all the £hundreds you were wasting before)
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to Rags
15:09, Monday 20 March 2017
Rags
If you google "how to cut electric consumption" there are some scary facts ...

leaving a coffee machine on standby costs £80.00 a year

not filling the kettle every time you use it (just measure the water you put in it by the number of cupfuls needed) can save £60 a year

dishwasher ? .. can easily add £100 a year

even with energy saving light bulbs your lighting will probably account for 8% of all electric bills

CHARGE YOUR MOBILE PHONE AT WORK .... !! this is what work is for (that and getting paid to take a dump)

tumble dryer ? wrong one can cost you an extra £110 a year

extractor fan ? ... blimey, if that comes on automatically it can burn electric .. open a window instead

washing machine ... do you really need high temp washes ? use bio powder meant for cool washes

only use washing machine if full

shower ? if electric then turn the pressure down for power washes etc

security lights on all night ... replace with motion detector ones

fridge/freezer door seals ... can cost you a fortune in electric if faulty

costs less to run a freezer if it's full (because otherwise if enmpty, when you open the door more space fills up with warm air)

PC / laptops / dvds / tv / phones ... plug them into power strips with individual switches and only turn on when needed

vaccuum the back of your fridge / freezer free from dust etc

blah blah .. there are thousands of ways to cut energy bills easily in half

I don't see Erika as the sort of girl to clean behind her fridge.

Never EVER forget!

Tweet Topic

Erika replying to Rags
15:15, Monday 20 March 2017
Rags

We had an monitor before we were upgraded to a smart by our supplier. I think it costs around £30-40 from Amazon.

My monitor is an Owl too ... well worth the cost, although you can become obsessed with saving mere pennies once you have one (which makes you guilty about all the £hundreds you were wasting before)

Cheers, just looked and they look pretty good. Will try turning all the electric off first and see whether the meter moves before calling the supplier.
Tweet Topic

Rags replying to Erika
15:23, Monday 20 March 2017

Rags

Cheers, just looked and they look pretty good. Will try turning all the electric off first and see whether the meter moves before calling the supplier.

I once changed all the lights to motion detector ones so i never had to bother turning any off, they just turned themselves off after a room was empty for 15 seconds .... well that was the theory.

Soddin' dog soon caught on and made it her new hobby to race from room to room getting them to all turn on
Tweet Topic

generalBlue replying to Erika
15:23, Monday 20 March 2017
Erika I forgot to mention, if you tend to occasionally sit on the washing machine during the violent fast spin programme or straddle your tumble drier on the slow but delightfully persistent warm churn programme it'll save you a few quid over time if you actually put some clothing in those machines whilst enjoying the other benefits thumbs upthumbs up
Quote 18/6/2017
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
This stone-broke Tone bloke is perfect for them. Let's cherish his tenure.
Tweet Topic

KHT replying to Erika
15:27, Monday 20 March 2017
How do you heat your water?

If it's heated as you need it via a combi-boiler that's fine. If you use an immersion heater, how many hours is it heating each day and how high is the thermostat set?

Many people leave the immersion on 24/7 which is crazy and also have the setting far too high, so that as soon as they run the hot tap they have to add cold water to it, to cool it down.

It's also worth reading your meter every day for a few weeks, ideally at around the same time of day. That way you can see your daily consumption and you'll know what appliances you've used (and for how long) in the previous 24 hours. It'll hopefully give you a better idea of where your money is going.
Tweet Topic

Kincaid26 replying to Erika
15:29, Monday 20 March 2017
You need to change your energy supplier, if you have had the same tarrif for over a year, unless it was fixed, it will revert to a standard tarrif, meaning you are paying too much, im all electric, and was paying £1200 a year, but have changed last year and that is now £700 over the last year,
economy 10 meter will save you the most as if someone is home in the afternoons and late at night, you can get your washing and water boiling done in the cheaper times. saving lots of money.
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to KHT
15:33, Monday 20 March 2017
Unfortunately its not a combi boiler and as its a rented house we cant change that. We have the timer set on the immersion for 60 mins in the morning and 90 mins at night so not too much I don't think!
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to Kincaid26
15:34, Monday 20 March 2017
We have done the comparisons and based on our current usage we can't get it cheaper anywhere else. Its not the cost that's the issue, its the usage that is almost double a regular household.
Tweet Topic

KHT replying to Erika
15:37, Monday 20 March 2017
That sounds about right Erika.

Give the daily readings a go though. It will also give you some ammunition if you have a dispute with your supplier.
Tweet Topic

TonyEvansFacial Hair replying to generalBlue
15:48, Monday 20 March 2017
generalBlue
Erika I forgot to mention, if you tend to occasionally sit on the washing machine during the violent fast spin programme or straddle your tumble drier on the slow but delightfully persistent warm churn programme it'll save you a few quid over time if you actually put some clothing in those machines whilst enjoying the other benefits thumbs upthumbs up

You seem very knowledgeable on these matters !
Tweet Topic

Erika replying to KHT
15:51, Monday 20 March 2017
Cheers will do
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »