09:41, Mon 15 Jan
It became obvious early on he had no authority on the game. Swansea taking as long as they liked with set pieces, taking throw in form where they liked, they were time wasting from kick off. This then causes frustration and hence the card coming out for dissent for moaning at him for being a chunt. It was constant stop start and ruined the game as a spectacle and also kills any atmosphere as it just can't build.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
09:50, Mon 15 Jan
Donohue = Anti football
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
Dan
10:01, Mon 15 Jan
Mowbrays Toe & Knee
It became obvious early on he had no authority on the game. Swansea taking as long as they liked with set pieces, taking throw in form where they liked, they were time wasting from kick off. This then causes frustration and hence the card coming out for dissent for moaning at him for being a chunt. It was constant stop start and ruined the game as a spectacle and also kills any atmosphere as it just can't build.

In the second half their left back must have stolen about 20 yards whilst taking one throw in.

Linesman stood directly behind him and just moved along with him rather than stopping it.
10:04, Mon 15 Jan
Dan
thats probably the one that sticks in my mind as he crossed the half way line too which should easily show that he is gaining yards.
10:07, Mon 15 Jan
Dan
Dan
Linesman stood directly behind him and just moved along with him rather than stopping it.

I honestly thought their lad was going to turn that into a corner he travelled so far before taking the throw.

I've been on holidays closer to home.
10:11, Mon 15 Jan
The ref was terrible sat I don’t usually moan about them too much but he was awful.

I’m sick of refs wanting to be the star attraction.
Why has the standard of refereeing deteriorated so much? With so much money in the game you'd think that referees should at least 70-80% of decisions correct.
So why is the refereeing (in many cases) quite poor?
Training? Lack of support from assistant referees? Dare I say lack of neutralism? I think it's safe to say that refereeing comes up on this forum often, and for the right reasons, however, how many other other club forums question the ability of the man/woman in the middle?
So...what's the answer? When was the last time you left a game and thought to yourself 'that ref was alright ya'know?'

The female ref that we had earlier in the season was probably one of the better ones. Rebecca Welch I think was her name.
10:25, Mon 15 Jan
I think TV is partly to blame. It has shown players what decisions the refs give in a much clearer way. Consequently player try to manufacture fouls by gong down very easily after the slightest touch. You can be confident you won't get called for a dive unless there was absolutely no contact. At worst you'll be told to get up.

I also suspect player fitness has improved faster than referee fitness. There was a big improvement in the refs after they turned professional. Since then I think they have dropped back relative to players. It's tricky for them. More subs means on average fresher players on the pitch for longer each game. I think this is partly why they don't crack down on timewasting more. It's helpful to the ref to have a short rest a couple of times a half and the pauses between set pieces also help.

I'd like to see some stats on refs running. I'm fairly sure they drop off in distances covered and how close they are to play later in games. Certainly some appear to. Though the worst was a few years ago. There was a ref at Ipswich who barely left the centre circle for the last 15 minutes of a game. He appeared absolutely puffed.

The solution would be to swap the officials round at half time. You get fresher refs. More officials get game experience. The influence of one ref on a game is lessened. As all 4 officials are qualified refs I can't see many downsides, after a settling in period. Maybe it would bruise some egos.
10:42, Mon 15 Jan
I overheard some vilers yesterday discussing refs, and they reckong that VAR has set the quality too, as it doesn't matter now if the ref gets it right or wrong as VAR will step in. WHere this becomes a challenge is when you get refs that do Prem and Championship games and you just know how that will get solved don't you ?
11:18, Mon 15 Jan
I think this thread shows the problem. I understand that when a ref is particularly bad and influences a game negatively any set of fans on the receiving end will be critical, but it’s always happened. However, quite often there is as much if not more discussion about refereeing decisions than the game itself, and VAR has just exacerbated this. Refs have become the focus and some actually enjoy the self importance.

I agree with all the stuff about players cheating, feigning, and far too many soft free kicks for minimal contact. It would be great if refs erred in the other direction as we all like to see a game flow. I don’t agree with the misuse of apostrophes.
11:33, Mon 15 Jan
Going back to the behaviour of players, by their actions they are basically saying to the referee we will do everything we can to deceive you and make your decision making as difficult as we possibly can and then have the licence to scream abuse in your face when you get it wrong so make sure you’re perfect!

Shame players aren’t subjected to the same abuse when they make a human error and misplace a pass or miss a sitter.
11:36, Mon 15 Jan
I try and defend refs and agree the fans are as much to blame for var as anyone

But Saturdays ref was dreadful. Every time there was a slight touch or a a player slid he gave a foul and a yellow card. It ruined parts of the game, whilst it did result in more added time, we couldn’t really build much momentum in the other 90 mins.

Swansea were a bit soft when touched and their time wasting was dreadful.

The stealing yards at throw ins, does bother me a bit. Why can’t the linesman, make them take it from the right position or at least within 5 yards of the where ball goes out??
11:50, Mon 15 Jan
Sure. There’s two distinctive parts to this, some performances by refs (and refs themselves) are poor but the focus and chat about the game generally means we spend a disproportionate time on everything to do with the ref. ‘Buying’ and ‘winning’ fouls have always to some extent been part of the game, the refs need to be savvy enough to know when they are being conned. It can be tricky because some of the exaggeration happens when there are actually fouls. Maybe it should be a rule that any ‘simulation’ results in a no-decision at best. Would be fun 😁.
17:38, Mon 15 Jan
newblue
. I don’t agree with the misuse of apostrophes.
🤣
We've only got Chewits
I'm Blue, Da Ba Dee, Da Ba Di
Why has the standard of refereeing deteriorated so much? With so much money in the game you'd think that referees should at least 70-80% of decisions correct.
So why is the refereeing (in many cases) quite poor?
Training? Lack of support from assistant referees? Dare I say lack of neutralism? I think it's safe to say that refereeing comes up on this forum often, and for the right reasons, however, how many other other club forums question the ability of the man/woman in the middle?
So...what's the answer? When was the last time you left a game and thought to yourself 'that ref was alright ya'know?'

There’s your first mistake: what is “correct”?

Take Bielek’s sending off at Plymouth: most Blues fans thought that the tackle wasn’t a red-card-offence yet I’m sure that some/many/all Plymouth fans DID agree with the referee’s decision.

It infuriates me that so many fans suggest that their club is “being screwed over by officials, week-in, week-out”. Decisions are subjective and are hard to make in such a fast-moving game.
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)