22:18, Mon 12 Feb
Hi SHA, I don’t know if anyone can help, or knows anyone that might.

My Dad is 68 and has started receiving palliative care for life end cancer as of Friday.

He’s born in Small Heath and has lived in Birmingham going to games since he was 2. (Apart from a 2 year ‘walkabout’ in Cornwall when he was 17).

One of his requests (aside from a Madras and a peroni) is getting to St. Andrews. I’ve messaged the club seeing about getting a box or something he could sit in where he’s warm and comfy and where he can take 3 of his Grandchildren who are 10, 5 and 3. It’s part of his wish he promised to take them to their first game.

Anyway, I got a bit of a ‘meh’ response from the club as they are sold out this weekend. Which is completely fine but time is of the essence and he wouldn’t be able to do a midweek game.

3 months ago, even 2 months ago we couldn’t have envisaged this as he was still the life and soul of the party. But things have spiralled very quickly and with Fridays update what we thought might be a fair old time is now a very short amount of time, certainly to get out and do something.

So maybe we haven’t acted fast enough to get in touch with the club, or to understand the urgency of the situation but I’m hoping someone here might know someone I can speak to about trying to get my old fella a chance of taking his grandkids to a game for the first time.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks all.
22:21, Mon 12 Feb
I think this Saturday is simply full, unfortunately. There's not much the club can do about that.

Is he unlikely to make the fixture afterwards?
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
22:24, Mon 12 Feb
Sorry to hear that.
How many people do you need to be in a box including him?
Tony Fantastico
22:25, Mon 12 Feb
I think maybe he could for 2 weeks after maybe 3. It’s so unknown at the moment but he is mostly bed bound already. I don’t mind about this weekend as it was such short notice, but any help toward future fixtures and who I can contact would be great. I didn’t want to Twitter it.
22:26, Mon 12 Feb
Can he not go Tuesday ? Much more likely for the club be able to do something - as a thought is it worth trying to contact some of the sponsors with boxes who might not be using all the seats - Swallow drinks etc
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
22:26, Mon 12 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
Sorry to hear that.
How many people do you need to be in a box including him?

I’m not 100% sure, my brother has a group of mates that are season ticket holders that wanted to send him off but I reckon they accept a beer before the game or something.

In terms of grandkids and parents of said grandkids, maybe 10?
22:28, Mon 12 Feb
Robert Hopkins
Can he not go Tuesday ? Much more likely for the club be able to do something - as a thought is it worth trying to contact some of the sponsors with boxes who might not be using all the seats - Swallow drinks etc

Thanks, it’s too late in the day I think. He’s got new steroids today that might change his movements so I won’t rule it out. Again, we have no idea how long he has, just know the palliative nurse said now is the best shape he’ll be in until the end and it ain’t great shape.
22:33, Mon 12 Feb
I've been in the same place with my father in law 18 months ago and is reason i have a massive dislike of Tom Ross as he fecked up something I sorted for my son to help him deal with the news.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
22:40, Mon 12 Feb
Robert Hopkins
I've been in the same place with my father in law 18 months ago and is reason i have a massive dislike of Tom Ross as he fecked up something I sorted for my son to help him deal with the news.

I’m genuinely so sorry to hear that.

I just thought I’d say (not related to your situation at all as I don’t know it) but if people were thinking, we aren’t looking for charity or anything, we’ll pay whatever but I really don’t know the first place to start apart from the contact e-Mail which was the receptions e-Mail and we obviously have lots going on so I probably got that wrong initially. Trying to juggle multiple things but We’re trying not to get distracted by the important stuff so I can get him something he wants.

If that makes sense.
22:43, Mon 12 Feb
Radavis
Robert Hopkins

I’m genuinely so sorry to hear that.

I just thought I’d say (not related to your situation at all as I don’t know it) but if people were thinking, we aren’t looking for charity or anything, we’ll pay whatever but I really don’t know the first place to start apart from the contact e-Mail which was the receptions e-Mail and we obviously have lots going on so I probably got that wrong initially. Trying to juggle multiple things but We’re trying not to get distracted by the important stuff so I can get him something he wants.

If that makes sense.

I have sent to a private message mate...
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
22:44, Mon 12 Feb
Even if all the boxes are full, there's no way some Blues fans wouldn't give one up for something like this. I've asked Jeremy Dale on Twitter, and I'm going to send a load of emails and WhatsApps out now to people who might be able to assist.
22:47, Mon 12 Feb
yeehaw
Even if all the boxes are full, there's no way some Blues fans wouldn't give one up for something like this. I've asked Jeremy Dale on Twitter, and I'm going to send a load of emails and WhatsApps out now to people who might be able to assist.

That’s really kind, he wouldn’t want to cause a fuss, but I wouldn’t turn down a chance to get him down there one last time.
22:47, Mon 12 Feb
Was about to put this up. Someone out their will give up their box for a game I'm sure.
22:51, Mon 12 Feb
Thanks, I hope he’s fine beyond Saturday, obviously, but it’s a risk I’d rather not take considering the quick turn around.
23:47, Mon 12 Feb
Have nothing practical to offer, but nice to see this forum at its best