11:42, Tue 7 May
Dan, do you rate Craig Gardner? I don't know much about him, other than as a player and the occasional interview, where he doesn't come across as the world's savviest football dude. Or maybe I am underestimating him. Is he the man for the job?
11:48, Tue 7 May
Haircut1000
Dan, do you rate Craig Gardner? I don't know much about him, other than as a player and the occasional interview, where he doesn't come across as the world's savviest football dude. Or maybe I am underestimating him. Is he the man for the job?

I think he’s got a huge challenge ahead of him this summer and it could make or break him.

There can be no excuses re lack of resource and the recruitment team should be bedded in now.

Equally, I’m interested to see how much Mike Rigg takes off Gardner’s plate now Rigg is in place as academy boss.
11:50, Tue 7 May
Do you think he should be trusted to lead the recruitment side though or we should get someone more proven and experienced?
Tony Fantastico
11:53, Tue 7 May
Rab C Nesbitt
Do you think he should be trusted to lead the recruitment side though or we should get someone more proven and experienced?

If we were going to get someone new in for this summer the time to do that was 6-9 months ago; it’s far too late now.

Therefore your question really is moot for this window.
11:56, Tue 7 May
Genuine question Dan, do you think CG has enough credit in the bank to be afforded this transfer window as his make or break moment?

This is our biggest window I can remember and it’s going to take somebody the owners can trust to deliver the entire rebuild successfully, we need to get this right.

Obviously it’s not just CG who is responsible for recruitment but you get the gist*

Edit: just seen your response above 👍🏼
12:02, Tue 7 May
La Fine Della Strada
Genuine question Dan, do you think CG has enough credit in the bank to be afforded this transfer window as his make or break moment?

This is our biggest window I can remember and it’s going to take somebody the owners can trust to deliver the entire rebuild successfully, we need to get this right.

Obviously it’s not just CG who is responsible for recruitment but you get the gist*

Edit: just seen your response above 👍🏼

Thing is, the work for this window will have started months ago. In some ways, it never really stops; you keep a database of players and the club continually evaluates and looks at who might be available.

I get people might want Gardner out and that’s fair enough; but it would take I reckon maybe a year to show the fruition of change because of all the stuff that would need to cascade down.

Its similar with Cook; some people seem to think it would be easy enough to parachute someone else into his role but that doesn’t take into account all the appointees that Cook has made this year and how they’d react.
12:13, Tue 7 May
El Mayor
Rab C Nesbitt

If we were going to get someone new in for this summer the time to do that was 6-9 months ago; it’s far too late now.

I’m not sure you would need someone in that far before if they were in a similar role with experience in the role mate
Tony Fantastico
12:13, Tue 7 May
Dan - a question on P&S once we get back to the Championship…

The rules around wages/expenditure as a percentage of income in League 1 seem pretty clear - i.e. max 75% of income on wages in first L1 season (excluding pre-owned players on longer than 3 year contracts), and no restrictions around owners injecting cash into the club. But what happens when we get promoted back to the Championship, and specifically what are we measured against from a P&S rules perspective - which seasons apply for the three-year profit/loss calculation? Let’s assume we only spend a year in L1, is the P&S calculation (at the end of our first season back in the Championship) therefore:

a) Our profit/loss in our L1 season forms one of the three years of the P&S calculation? i.e. 23/24 (Champ), 24/25 (L1) and 25/26 (Champ) get aggregated and we are measured against the £39m loss threshold?

b) The League 1 season is excluded from the calculation and the three years measured are 22/23, 23/24 and 25/26?

c) Something else?

In the case of a) applying, does any cash injection by Knighthead when in L1 count towards our income figure for the three year assessment period when we are back in the Championship? i.e. is there anything stopping Knighthead hypothetically injecting £100m into the club during our L1 season which is then largely spent (and counts towards our 3 year income) when back in the Championship?
12:21, Tue 7 May
Don’t know, this is something I need to read up on as I’m planning to write about it in the close season.
12:30, Tue 7 May
El Mayor
Don’t know, this is something I need to read up on as I’m planning to write about it in the close season.

Nice summer homework - it's a great question though. Don't want to spend loads in L1 and then get into a pickle if we go back up.
12:32, Tue 7 May
Haircut1000
El Mayor

Nice summer homework - it's a great question though. Don't want to spend loads L1 and then get into a pickle if we go back up.

100% agree.

Interesting that ZO Future Group (what was BSHL) published an announcement yesterday about relegation and how it’s gonna hurt their revenues. Doubt it makes a difference to us but it’s something I’m watching.
13:02, Tue 7 May
👍 - cheers. The EFL regulations don’t seem to make it clear either way.
13:05, Tue 7 May
Haircut1000
El Mayor

Nice summer homework - it's a great question though. Don't want to spend loads L1 and then get into a pickle if we go back up.

100% agree.

Interesting that ZO Future Group (what was BSHL) published an announcement yesterday about relegation and how it’s gonna hurt their revenues. Doubt it makes a difference to us but it’s something I’m watching.

still get the emails and noticed that

any idea if they are in a position to do the necessary to complete the deal as planned?
Rab C Nesbitt
El Mayor
Rab C Nesbitt

I’m not sure you would need someone in that far before if they were in a similar role with experience in the role mate
Agree, if they were in work and we poached them they’d already have targets, contacts and knowledge themselves.
13:16, Tue 7 May
NouCamp
Haircut1000
El Mayor

100% agree.

still get the emails and noticed that

any idea if they are in a position to do the necessary to complete the deal as planned?

I don’t think they’re completely in the position to do so but they have definitely moved things forward