This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

How was Saunders treated?

LondonAndy
21:00, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Bit before my time, but what are people's memories of how he was received when he crossed from the stink and his time in charge?

Saw this weird pic and made me wonder:

Linked Image
Tweet Topic

Re: How was Saunders treated?

TonyEvansFacial Hair replying to LondonAndy
21:07, Wednesday 11 October 2017
When he started painting the soles of our boots red to get rid of the gypsy curse some of us thought it was time he retired.
Tweet Topic

carlsblues replying to TonyEvansFacial Hair
21:14, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Could have taken us to the top if he was gave the money. Sadley he wasn't
Tweet Topic

LondonAndy replying to carlsblues
21:23, Wednesday 11 October 2017
So - and I got this from Wikipedia - he left the other team the season after they fluked the league, with them in the QF of the tinpot Eurovision Sheild, and mid-table in the league,and walked out in a huff and straight over to their biggest rivals?

Like a massive flounce. So breaking up with your bird and immediately snogging her best mate right in front of her.

To be honest, he must have been a nightmare to be anywhere near after they accidentally won that tiny little cup.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to TonyEvansFacial Hair
21:26, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Absolutely top bloke and a classic example of having a manager who managed us at the totally wrong time....he was a hard liner too

Saunders' Vile had just won the European Cup and Deadly Ellis was the one pulling strings over at the Rat's Nest.....he wasn't in charge that night but it was most definitely his team that won it built and moulded together on a shoestring over 6 or 7 years

However from Day One over at B9 he was battling with the owners (first the Coombes Mob and then Wheldon) for even reasonable funds as BCFC slowly approached being liquidated completely ....1985 which also saw the Elmdon training ground being sold for necessity and massive cut backs at SA including all the lights and heat being turned foo when necessary

He bought in Coton and D1cks and signed some very good players like Seaman, Hopkins, Blake, Gayle. Wayne Clarke and Harford, most of these players would be moved on for pitiful fees later on , this was the dilemma he was persistently burdened with

Agreed some were awful signings, Stevenson, Hagan and Halsall spring to mind but every manager signs a few duds, Steve Bruce was renowned for it

They were troubling times at SA but even to this very day I am convinced that IF Ron Saunders had been given a reasonable kitty to work with , we would have consolidated and established ourselves in the top flight instead of free falling to the Abyss of the old Third Division before the decade was out

Many Blues fans hated his style, he was very much a hard liner which didn't go down too well with some but his teams would literally run through a brick wall for the shirt (some of the cr@p we have today would not even stroll though a roll of toilet tissue for the shirt) ......most Blues fans appreciated that , battlers who are prepared to sweat blood especially those players bereft of genuine technical ability and a never say die spirit have been in our genes since the day we were founded ......Small Heath Allliance and all that ......KRO

Saunders was one of my favourite Blues managers .....his career nosedived once he had to endure an embarrassing FA Cup defeat to non league Altrincham (Robert Hopkins was as devastated as the fans too, it was his unfortunate own goal) and Ron never really recovered from that debacle, he then went to Albion which turned into another nightmare move for him

KRO
Tweet Topic

Write said Fred replying to LondonAndy
21:36, Wednesday 11 October 2017
My recollection was that he was welcomed at the Blues, certainly I had no issues with him taking over (and I was a young hoolie in those days!). We had local rivalry much as we have today but the big difference was we didn't have social media so couldn't share opinions like we do today. A lot of things seemed to go unsaid.

There seemed to be a lot of swapping between Blues and Villa, I recall we signed their captain John Sleeuwenhoek, the Villa fans idolised him and nicknamed him "slogger", but we put him straight into the reserves!! They took our young goalkeeper Colin Withers and he played in their first team for years. Apart from thunderous chants of "Withers is a tosser" from the Tilton I think we took it well....
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Write said Fred
21:40, Wednesday 11 October 2017
And to rub salt in the wounds we ended up with Bond , Pendrey and then Mackay and the Judas Macari , three of those were absolutely top professional top flight players in their respective hey days ....Sorry Kung Fu Gazza

And some of you think we have it really bad today ??

LOL
Tweet Topic

LondonAndy replying to The Hurricane
21:43, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Ta Hurricane. One of my first memories was the Altrincham game. Hearing the result on the radio in bed as a kid and then dreading school even more than ever.
Tweet Topic

I.P.F replying to The Hurricane
21:45, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Two things I always remember about Saunders:

1. When he first came to Blues he said that he could do in five years what had taken him eight years to achieve at Vile - win the European Cup.

2. After about 18 months at Blues he said something like "this is not what I signed up for - I never wanted to be an accountant".
Tweet Topic

jeffwealands replying to LondonAndy
21:46, Wednesday 11 October 2017
LondonAndy
Ta Hurricane. One of my first memories was the Altrincham game. Hearing the result on the radio in bed as a kid and then dreading school even more than ever.

Their keeper played a blinder that day
Tweet Topic

mr-bubble replying to jeffwealands
21:52, Wednesday 11 October 2017
jeffwealands
LondonAndy

Their keeper played a blinder that day

He did indeed didn't he Jeff Wealands ;)
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Write said Fred
21:55, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Write said Fred
My recollection was that he was welcomed at the Blues, certainly I had no issues with him taking over (and I was a young hoolie in those days!). We had local rivalry much as we have today but the big difference was we didn't have social media so couldn't share opinions like we do today. A lot of things seemed to go unsaid.

There seemed to be a lot of swapping between Blues and Villa, I recall we signed their captain John Sleeuwenhoek, the Villa fans idolised him and nicknamed him "slogger", but we put him straight into the reserves!! They took our young goalkeeper Colin Withers and he played in their first team for years. Apart from thunderous chants of "Withers is a tosser" from the Tilton I think we took it well....

Withers was a pretty poor keeper for Villa though after he left us, largely because he had poor defenders in front of him and Vile were just about to start a sharp decline during the mid 60's which resulted in them falling all the way to the Third Tier , almost 20 years before we suffered that same unexpected fate .....I remember Colin Withers getting a lot of grief from the thousands of Blues fans who had "taken" The Holte End in October of 1967 , a game we won with ease 4-2 under the most enjoyable Stan Cullis era where we attacked and scored goals for fun

Sleewenhoek was a prize capture for Blues but persistent injuries ruined his spell at SA ......Tony Hateley (RIP) was a former Ville centre forward , joined us after spells at Chelsea, Liverpool and Coventry , never worked out for us but was the best header of a ball I had ever seen around then , on a par with the great Jeff Astle (RIP) at The Baggies

Popular Blues players Malcom Beard and Geoff Vowden also went to Vile at the end of 70's but for both of them, their best days were playing in the Blue and White and their best days had gone

Trevor Hockey (RIP) also joined them after a short spell at Sheff Utd

Even Alan Curbishley joined them after Saunders had not long come in at SA but Curbs didn't achieve a lot there , in fact Vile went down in 87, just five seasons after their big night in Rotterdam.....and since then we've had the satisfaction of seeing both Sutton and Heskey flunk for them

Hopkins , Blake, Dessie Bremner and Geddis were all decent imports from B6.......but Linton, Morley and Mortimer were terrible additions that just din't work out

I never have any qualm signing players from Vile as long as they give their absolute all for BCFC and improve us in areas overall

Ridgewell became quite a good left back if you recall after a shaky start.....and going back in time, I find it a huge twist of irony that their goal scorer in Rotterdam, Peter Withe, had been with Blues as a partner to Trevor Francis just a few seasons earlier .....Withe even went on to play for England ...... This is where clever man management and getting the best out of an individual's style plays a vital role .....Brian Clough was a master

KRO
Tweet Topic

wowsers replying to The Hurricane
22:07, Wednesday 11 October 2017
I'm sure that even Mortimer scored twice on his debut for us. I always think of the back ng of Jim smith being like gr last season. Get rid of decent manager for big name. Having said all of that Saunders brought in some great players and but for bloody john Barnes and a freak goal
Tweet Topic

Thongs replying to LondonAndy
22:20, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Saunders is shit
Villa are shit
Shit sticks together
Go back to villa

Wire R.I.P.
This post is paid for by Small Heath Alliance

Never EVER forget!

[www.smallheathalliance.com]
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to wowsers
22:28, Wednesday 11 October 2017
The signing of Micky Harford was Saunders' true master stroke , he was a superb, no nonsense, front line leader and scored many vital goals for Blues .....as was introducing Tony Coton and then Dave Seaman

He did win us promotion in 85 when most thought we would struggle....it wasn't pretty to watch but at least we went up when financially BCFC was almost on it's last knees.....if memory serves me right , Ron's predecessor Jim Smith was taking Oxford United up the same year

It was a mixed bag for RS and just after his departure , we saw the most troubled period in our entire History ...had we gone down last season we would have seen similar repercussions IMO

It was unfortunate that the same year we almost folded up completely as a football club we had that terrible day in May 85 and the rioting v Leeds on the final day of that season where we had already been promoted

32 years ago now but still recall it so vividly

KRO
Tweet Topic

Bluestaines replying to The Hurricane
22:30, Wednesday 11 October 2017
I remember always being a bit uncomfortable with him as our manager. Especially as, once he became available, having resigned from Vile(for reasons I now forget) the club seemed to engineer his appointment. I felt a bit sorry for Jim Smith who was sacked as a result. We weren’t too bad as a team at that point although performances were suffering. Smiths last game was a dire 0-0 at home to Middlesbrough I think. As luck would have it we then played Vile with a caretaker manager in charge (Smiths assistant) with Saunders watching on before he took over. He had built a decent side at Vile but I always recall they were fortunate to achieve what they did, especially the European cup final which was the biggest injustice I have ever seen in a game of football. Saunders side at Blues was necessarily hardworking and a defensive out of necessity (sound familiar?) but I was never convinced he was quite the manager everybody thought he was. I am not sure he would have done that well with more resources. For me, the manager who I wish we had have had at a time with more money to spend would have been Lou Macari.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Thongs
22:30, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Thongs
Villa are shit

Can't argue with that

Shit sticks together

Try Domestos
Tweet Topic

generalBlue replying to Thongs
22:37, Wednesday 11 October 2017
My memories of Saunders short reign at Blues are far from positive .
Shocking dour football in front of sub 10000 crowds.
That fekker had players running up and down hills and only gave them a ball to play with when the majority had vomited.
Him and Dave Mackay were fekking clueless
Is Rab guilty of being a....."whey faced poltroon" ? :-)))))
Tweet Topic

Bluestaines replying to The Hurricane
22:37, Wednesday 11 October 2017
The Hurricane
Write said Fred

Withers was a pretty poor keeper for Villa though after he left us, largely because he had poor defenders in front of him and Vile were just about to start a sharp decline during the mid 60's which resulted in them falling all the way to the Third Tier , almost 20 years before we suffered that same unexpected fate .....I remember Colin Withers getting a lot of grief from the thousands of Blues fans who had "taken" The Holte End in October of 1967 , a game we won with ease 4-2 under the most enjoyable Stan Cullis era where we attacked and scored goals for fun

Sleewenhoek was a prize capture for Blues but persistent injuries ruined his spell at SA ......Tony Hateley (RIP) was a former Ville centre forward , joined us after spells at Chelsea, Liverpool and Coventry , never worked out for us but was the best header of a ball I had ever seen around then , on a par with the great Jeff Astle (RIP) at The Baggies

Popular Blues players Malcom Beard and Geoff Vowden also went to Vile at the end of 70's but for both of them, their best days were playing in the Blue and White and their best days had gone

Trevor Hockey (RIP) also joined them after a short spell at Sheff Utd

Even Alan Curbishley joined them after Saunders had not long come in at SA but Curbs didn't achieve a lot there , in fact Vile went down in 87, just five seasons after their big night in Rotterdam.....and since then we've had the satisfaction of seeing both Sutton and Heskey flunk for them

Hopkins , Blake, Dessie Bremner and Geddis were all decent imports from B6.......but Linton, Morley and Mortimer were terrible additions that just din't work out

I never have any qualm signing players from Vile as long as they give their absolute all for BCFC and improve us in areas overall

Ridgewell became quite a good left back if you recall after a shaky start.....and going back in time, I find it a huge twist of irony that their goal scorer in Rotterdam, Peter Withe, had been with Blues as a partner to Trevor Francis just a few seasons earlier .....Withe even went on to play for England ...... This is where clever man management and getting the best out of an individual's style plays a vital role .....Brian Clough was a master

KRO

Then Withe came back to Blues after all that and was just as shite as he had been for us the first time,
Tweet Topic

Inspector Montalbano replying to Bluestaines
22:56, Wednesday 11 October 2017
We sacked Jim Smith after he blew £600,000 of the Francis million on Neil Whatmore, Bud Broken and Toine van Mierlo. Saunders coming in on the back of his B6 success was a real coup, if we had been able to properly back him in the transfer market we would have been a top six side with Seaman, Dicks, Blake, Broadhurst, Mabbutt, Waddle , Harford.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Inspector Montalbano
23:03, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Spot on, if we had been able to back him with money the sky was the limit!
Sadly we couldn't but he did source the team in his own tough as teak manner.
Fearless warrior that's my memory of him and that side.
Good comment about Jim smiths spending earlier.. spunked it!
Kro
Tweet Topic

bluearmyfaction replying to The Hurricane
23:05, Wednesday 11 October 2017
Agree with most of this, but not with Tony Morley. Didn't we have him on loan for a month and he scored three or four in that time? He could have changed the entire fortunes had we been able to afford him.
Tweet Topic

Squatnose replying to wowsers
23:06, Wednesday 11 October 2017
wowsers
I'm sure that even Mortimer scored twice on his debut for us. I always think of the back ng of Jim smith being like gr last season. Get rid of decent manager for big name. Having said all of that Saunders brought in some great players and but for bloody john Barnes and a freak goal

August 1986, Blues 2 Bradford 1, played in the remnants of Hurricane Charlie
Tweet Topic

macca salop blue replying to Squatnose
06:20, Thursday 12 October 2017
Interesting reads. My recollection is smiths last game at home v Boro which was a boring 0-0 game. Some of the crowd singing "Smith out". They got their wish. I recall we went to west ham and drew 2-2 after he was sacked. Then they appointed Saunders. His first game was villa at home we lost 1 nil but I don't think he took over the reigns till the Monday after the game.At that game we were singing to the villa fans "we'll take more care of you Saunders...saunders" to the tune of the British Airways advert. I really thought we'd go places but as people have pointed out the football wasn't entertaining, however we still had some tasty characters playing for us like Blake, Harford, Gayle, Dicks, Coton, Dennis etc.I recall the unbeaten run all the way up to Watford FA cup QF i really thought we were going to win the cup, then weeks later I was devastated when we went down on last game of season v Southampton when all the results went against us and we were in bottom 3 for 1st time that season. The riot v leeds killed our support, I've met many Blues fans who wentto that but stopped going after due to what there saw on that day.
Tweet Topic

bluemike replying to macca salop blue
07:00, Thursday 12 October 2017
For some reason i think Withe was usually played out on the wing. soon as he was played as a centre forward for the vile he started scoring and playing better imho
Tweet Topic

oswestryblue replying to macca salop blue
09:15, Thursday 12 October 2017
You forgot Hoppy & Howard Gayle in that list of players, the football wasn't great but god we had some characters.
Always remember that Southampton game Billy Wright hit the post with a free kick from the halfway line Shilton never moved 6 inches the other way we would have been safe :X
Tweet Topic

DES replying to The Hurricane
09:19, Thursday 12 October 2017
Hurricane, it's always great to read your posts!
Regarding headers of the ball! A skill I love, my list of Ariial warriors from that era is
Hateley
Win Davies
Ron Davies
Jeff Astor
Geoff hurst!
All brilliant in the air.
Some of them less so on the ground!
Kro
Tweet Topic

number8 replying to generalBlue
10:20, Thursday 12 October 2017
I wouldn't call 4 years short.
We didn't start getting sub 10k crowds until we went down after Bond and Pendrey took over.
We had some of the best players we've ever had under him - Coton, Harford, Clarke for 3 - and whilst we weren't pretty, we were effective and you knew everyone was giving their all on the pitch. Eventually the financial side ruined us and led to the late 80's wilderness years.
I'd certainly say Saunders teams were prepared to attack more than Rowetts for example.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
Tweet Topic

number8 replying to The Hurricane
10:21, Thursday 12 October 2017
Wash your mouth out, Byron Stevenson was a bloody good player.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
Tweet Topic

Durham Blues replying to oswestryblue
11:41, Thursday 12 October 2017
Not sure if it was true but it was rumoured that those 2, Blake and Coton used to go to pubs Sutton way looking for vile players to kick off with.

Coton played against Burnley in the league cup with an injured hand, supposedly having a go at Withe.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »