This site is using cookies: We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide certain features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. If you have not used your browser settings to prevent this website from setting cookies then we consider that you have given your consent for us to use them. [More Details]

Re: How was Saunders treated?

oswestryblue replying to Durham Blues
12:07, Thursday 12 October 2017
Wouldn't surprise me.
Meet Hoppy a couple of times in town, one Saturday night after blues had get stuffed at home my mate walks over to him "Hoppy you own me a fecking pint you was shit today"
He just laughed "fair play what your having" and he bought all four of us a drink we chatted for a bit then left him to it.
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to number8
12:17, Thursday 12 October 2017
number8
Wash your mouth out, Byron Stevenson was a bloody good player.

Correct, Stevenson was a fecking good player. Not helped at times by being played all over the place but he was a player.

I've always said the same about Saunders, you can't say the guy wasn't a good manager because he won the league and his team won that other defunct competition...and I have never heard any of those players credit Tony Barton for that win. They were Saunders' team playing Saunders' way.

I still believe he would have done really well for us if we could have supported him. He brought in some good players for sensible money but had to keep selling them.

I honestly think that a team of Coton, Langan, Dennis, Blake, Stevenson, Hopkins, Curbishley, Dillon, Gayle, Harford and Clarke - with other squad players like Pat Van, Kuhl, Platnauer Dicks coming through, could have given anybody a run for their money.

But he never had that team all together at the same time.
Tweet Topic

number8 replying to Spike
12:26, Thursday 12 October 2017
:D
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
Tweet Topic

Squatnose replying to Inspector Montalbano
12:34, Thursday 12 October 2017
Inspector Montalbano
We sacked Jim Smith after he blew £600,000 of the Francis million on Neil Whatmore, Bud Broken and Toine van Mierlo. Saunders coming in on the back of his B6 success was a real coup, if we had been able to properly back him in the transfer market we would have been a top six side with Seaman, Dicks, Blake, Broadhurst, Mabbutt, Waddle , Harford.

To be fair to Smith, we sold Francis when the team was heading down to division 2. He did sign experienced players like Wealands, Todd, Gemmill and Worthington, and the hugely under-rated Tony Evans who all contributed massively to our immediate promotion back to the top flight in 1980. He then added David Langan who was the best right back I've ever seen at Blues as we went on to finish a creditable 13th in the top flight. So I think two years after selling Francis, to find ourselves with all those players and finishing comfortably mid-table in a 22 team league deserves some credit.
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to Squatnose
12:52, Thursday 12 October 2017
Yeah the Francis money was long gone before the deals for Whatmore and the Dutch lads - even then, Whatmore had scored goals for Bolton. He didn't look crap when we signed him, he just turned out to be crap. But the Francis money brought in good players who formed an entertaining team, got promoted and held their own for a season. It wasn't even all old players, Langan and Curbishley were very good players at the right ages in their early twenties.

If we could have kicked on from there...who knows.

It is true though - you think if we could have kept that team I mentioned and added the likes of Mabbutt and Waddle who were gettable at the time if we'd had a bit of money. We were on about swapping Dillon for Waddle at one stage.
Tweet Topic

JohnP replying to number8
13:00, Thursday 12 October 2017
number8

As far as I recall he came in at the same time that Frank Worthington went out, and that made him feel like a sign of a change in style, for the worse.
Tweet Topic

Squatnose replying to JohnP
13:05, Thursday 12 October 2017
JohnP
number8

As far as I recall he came in at the same time that Frank Worthington went out, and that made him feel like a sign of a change in style, for the worse.

Wiki says Stevenson came to Blues in 1981 in a swap deal.That would make him a Smith signing, however I always thought he joined us later when Saunders was in charge. Also, who did we send to Leeds in the swap deal? I can't recall.

Edit: The only one I can remember going to Leeds was Frank Worthington, but that was in 1982 after Saunders had arrived.
Tweet Topic

JohnP replying to Squatnose
13:20, Thursday 12 October 2017
I've got it in my head that the swap was Worthington for Stevenson.
Tweet Topic

TonyEvansFacial Hair replying to Squatnose
13:24, Thursday 12 October 2017
Squatnose
Inspector Montalbano
We sacked Jim Smith after he blew £600,000 of the Francis million on Neil Whatmore, Bud Broken and Toine van Mierlo. Saunders coming in on the back of his B6 success was a real coup, if we had been able to properly back him in the transfer market we would have been a top six side with Seaman, Dicks, Blake, Broadhurst, Mabbutt, Waddle , Harford.

To be fair to Smith, we sold Francis when the team was heading down to division 2. He did sign experienced players like Wealands, Todd, Gemmill and Worthington, and the hugely under-rated Tony Evans who all contributed massively to our immediate promotion back to the top flight in 1980. He then added David Langan who was the best right back I've ever seen at Blues as we went on to finish a creditable 13th in the top flight. So I think two years after selling Francis, to find ourselves with all those players and finishing comfortably mid-table in a 22 team league deserves some credit.

Smith put together a team that was a delight to watch.

Evans remains one of the most underrated players in English football, if he could have been more consistent he would have been on a par with Greaves, same style same efficiency infront of goal.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to number8
19:03, Thursday 12 October 2017
number8

Yes, number 8 , I was probably being a bit harsh on Stevenson (sadly he died of throat cancer back in 2007 the day before his 51st birthday)

I probably meant to say Kendo Nagasaki (A-r-m-s-t-r-o-n-g) instead of him

Another prime signing (a loan anyway) was Mick Ferguson from Coventry although he did get injured a fair bit

Scored 8 in 21 for us....not a bad record and he was still only 28 when he was at SA but was considered a veteran as he'd been around for so long .....hit the net far more frequently for Coventry though

Saunders had the knack of getting the best out of players and could spot a bargain

KRO
Tweet Topic

turley replying to The Hurricane
19:07, Thursday 12 October 2017
He then loaned out Ferguson to Coventry .....he scored the Coventry goal which actually relegated us whilst still a Blues player!
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to turley
19:12, Thursday 12 October 2017
turley
He then loaned out Ferguson to Coventry .....he scored the Coventry goal which actually relegated us whilst still a Blues player!

No, Ferguson was a Coventry player ....he was on loan to Blues

Cannot recall the exact reasoning but Ferguson was struggling with injury and he was allowed back to Coventry in March 84

It is true he scored at least three for them to help keep them up....while we went down...but he was 'their' player
Tweet Topic

19:14, Thursday 12 October 2017
The Hurricane
turley

No, Ferguson was a Coventry player ....he was on loan to Blues

Cannot recall the exact reasoning but Ferguson was struggling with injury and he was allowed back to Coventry in March 84

It is true he scored at least three for them to help keep them up....while we went down...but he was 'their' player

I think you’re wrong mate. We had him on loan, then we signed him....then he was loaned back to. Coventry
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to turley
19:18, Thursday 12 October 2017
Apologies , you're right

He was actually an Everton player when we loaned him, then we signed him then sent him to Coventry (excuse the pun)

Coventry took him back.....they stayed up while we went down....and Ferguson was a bloody good striker in all honesty , as I said I think the injuries was the problem while he was at SA

***T happens as they say
Tweet Topic

19:20, Thursday 12 October 2017
I thought I’d remembered correctly. 70s and 80s is a photographic memory but ....I couldn’t name half the team on last season’s team picture!
Tweet Topic

newblue replying to TonyEvansFacial Hair
19:27, Thursday 12 October 2017
You would say that about Tony Evans.....;)

I thought he as a good goal scorer and quite bright when I saw him play. What happened with him?
Tweet Topic

turley replying to newblue
19:31, Thursday 12 October 2017
newblue
You would say that about Tony Evans.....;)

I thought he as a good goal scorer and quite bright when I saw him play. What happened with him?

I think we sold him to Palace. Did he also play for Wolves? Always remember the hat trick against Man City
Tweet Topic

Bcfc1967 replying to newblue
19:35, Thursday 12 October 2017
Think Tony Evans may have helped keep Jim Smith in a job. At the start of the 79-80 season we love st 4-3 at home to Fulham having been 3-0 up then lost at Sunderland. Smith had brought in all these new players after relegation and a third defeat on the run would have put him under pressure. As it was Evans scored twice in the next game at Cardiff which we won 2-1. By the end of the season we were promoted.
Tweet Topic

newblue replying to turley
19:39, Thursday 12 October 2017
I know that - just thought he looked a decent player and not sure why we let him go.
Tweet Topic

turley replying to newblue
19:41, Thursday 12 October 2017
newblue
I know that - just thought he looked a decent player and not sure why we let him go.

Sorry, mate. I thought you asked if anyone knew what happened to him. Too slow? Did he ever score from more than 10 yards?
Tweet Topic

Inspector Montalbano replying to Squatnose
19:45, Thursday 12 October 2017
I agree Dennis and Langan remain the bext full backs I have seen down St Andrews and the Worthington, Gemmill, Todd team is still my favourite blues side.
Deo Volente
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »