The Eton rifle
14:01, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Rip

Aged 83
Tweet Topic

Re: Ray Wilson 1966 world cup winner

Squatnose replying to The Eton rifle
14:24, Wednesday 16 May 2018
The second member of the ‘66 squad to pass away this year after Jimmy Armfield :(

Last time I saw a clip of Greavsie he didn’t look too long for this place, sadly.
Tweet Topic

Durham Blues replying to Squatnose
14:37, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Feels like another little part of my life has gone. We won't have many of them left in a few years, great shame.

RIP Ray
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Durham Blues
14:51, Wednesday 16 May 2018
what a class player Ray Wilson was, sadly it was his misplaced header that led to west germanys opener, apart from that he was flawless! Never seen it at stans but loved his head up claasy style.
RIP Ray.
became an undertaker after footy, not many of present crop will follow into that profession.
Tweet Topic

bobbytheg replying to DES
15:05, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Lovely footballer to watch. R.I.P.
Tweet Topic

Hoof hearted? replying to DES
15:07, Wednesday 16 May 2018
DES
what a class player Ray Wilson was, sadly it was his misplaced header that led to west germanys opener, apart from that he was flawless! Never seen it at stans but loved his head up claasy style.
RIP Ray.
became an undertaker after footy, not many of present crop will follow into that profession.

You know someone on here will be along soon to tell you it is a dying trade.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to bobbytheg
15:09, Wednesday 16 May 2018
wasnt he Bobby, I've always appreciated full backs he made it look so easy! his career was over by next world cup but two evertonians were in there to rep[lace him, Tommy Wright & Keith Newton, neither quite as good as Ray.

KRO
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to Squatnose
15:10, Wednesday 16 May 2018
I will actually be a bit sad I think, when Greavsie goes...which like you I suspect could be any time at all.

He is the first and last word on England goal scorers.

And I will never forget the time he shafted Gary Newbon.

Greavsie = Blues Proper.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to Spike
15:19, Wednesday 16 May 2018
spike, i saw a goal of greavsie in one of earliest MOTD`s v man u, never seen anything like it just slalomed around penalty area full of defenders and calmly slotted it!
The greatest of his type undoubtedly!

KRO
Tweet Topic

15:22, Wednesday 16 May 2018
DES
wasnt he Bobby, I've always appreciated full backs he made it look so easy! his career was over by next world cup but two evertonians were in there to rep[lace him, Tommy Wright & Keith Newton, neither quite as good as Ray.

KRO
I think Terry Cooper took his place at 70 World Cup . I liked Wright and Newton but not as good as Wilson. Like a Howard Kendall at left back if that makes any sense!
Tweet Topic

newblue replying to bobbytheg
15:25, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Cooper was probably better on the ball but Wilson was a Rolls-Royce of a player, Everton were known for that style back then.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to newblue
15:28, Wednesday 16 May 2018
we all loved TC but Jairzinho ripped him up for arse paper in Mexico, sure Ray would have dealt with that threat a little better, TC going forward YES but defensively Wilson every day of the week ( and twice on saturdays)

KRO
Tweet Topic

15:28, Wednesday 16 May 2018
His ‘type’ was a finisher, I can only think of Ian Rush who was in the same league of effectiveness, but Greaves was the best.
Tweet Topic

15:32, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Tbf not sure how Jairzhino(sp?) could have been stopped other than by a bullet.
Tweet Topic

15:37, Wednesday 16 May 2018
That Brazil forward line was rather good. Our 1970 team was generally regarded as better than the 66 team, I think that’s probably right.
Tweet Topic

bobbytheg replying to newblue
15:40, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Couldn't agree more. Great team. "Back Home" theme still my favourite as well.(shit video though).
Tweet Topic

DES replying to newblue
15:51, Wednesday 16 May 2018
newblue
i have that game on video and although its incredibly slow paced by todays standards thje quality is amazing!
Some of the greatest players to ever grace the beautiful game on the same pitch!

KRO
Tweet Topic

B13blues replying to The Eton rifle
19:48, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Rip * Must've been great to see England actually win something. Just imagine being one of the players though 8-)
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to bobbytheg
20:08, Wednesday 16 May 2018
bobbytheg
Couldn't agree more. Great team. "Back Home" theme still my favourite as well.(shit video though).

That was the World Cup where they tried to frame Bobby Moore for stealing a bracelet after a pre tourno warm up in Bogota, Colombia

devilish propaganda but I agree, the 70 squad was equal to the 66 side in terms of talent....if not a little more....Allan Clarke and Astle were there too ...as was Mullery and another Everton stalwart , Labone .....Bonetti got it in the neck for that clanger but he was a great keeper too....'The Cat'

I just think that the altitude and heat played a big part in England bot goind all the way again......History would repeat itself in 86 as the WC was played in Mexico once again and with those hot and humid conditions as well as the elevation , England had a real problem dealing with....although other European countries seemed to deal with it better especially the Dutch

And then of course there was Gerd Muller .....and 'that' miss by Albion legend Jeff Astle,.....best World Cup Final ever , will likely never be topped for total football and how to completely destroy a defensive minded side as the Italians were....although they did have Riva and Rivera as forward plyers....those 2 were world class

RIP RAY WILSON
Tweet Topic

DES replying to The Hurricane
20:12, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Hurricane, till Fulham 75 this ( losing to Germany in Leon) was the biggest disappointment I had experienced, it was a Sunday evening and four of us had been going to disco at swan yardley, till we lost! Just sat there moping!
1970 team was brilliant but sadly losing banks was a killer on the day.
Poor old peter Bonetti threw all three in!
Kro
Tweet Topic

Monk's dirty habit. replying to DES
21:36, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Full respect RIP.
These guys were and are true heroes the likes of we will never see again.
They won the World cup whilst earning a few hundred quid, unlike the multimillionaire players of today who will win nothing !!!
Tweet Topic

Write said Fred replying to Monk's dirty habit.
22:33, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Monk's dirty habit.
Full respect RIP.
They won the World cup whilst earning a few hundred quid, unlike the multimillionaire players of today who will win nothing !!!

My thoughts exactly.

Ray Wilson is the third member of the winning team to pass away, after Bobby Moore and Alan Ball.
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Write said Fred
22:48, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Write said Fred
Monk's dirty habit.
Full respect RIP.

My thoughts exactly.

Ray Wilson is the third member of the winning team to pass away, after Bobby Moore and Alan Ball.

yes, leaves Jackie Charlton as the oldest survivor....just turned 83 last week ....younger brother Bobby is 80 now

Saw Banksie (also 80) at the last Stoke City home game....must have saddened him to see them go down

The youngest is Martin Peters....now 74 .....Bally and Moore were taken so young....legends all of them ...and for the younger troop on here, England's winning manger in 66 and who was knighted, Sir Alf Ramsey managed Blues at the end of the 1970's.....he wanted to place Trevor Francis on the transfer list and the board went ahead but changed their stance 3 days later ....Ramsey insisted he was never sacked but gave two weeks notice ...he died in 1999

KRO
Tweet Topic

23:36, Wednesday 16 May 2018
Ray was third member of team to pass away but how many of that squad have passed?
Was there a third keeper? Can’t recall.
Second 11 from memory only was
Springett
Arm field
Byrne ( Gerry)
Milne
Flowers
Hunter
Connolly
Greaves
??
Eastam
Paine
Tweet Topic

Blue in CT replying to DES
02:43, Thursday 17 May 2018
DES
Hurricane, till Fulham 75 this ( losing to Germany in Leon) was the biggest disappointment I had experienced, it was a Sunday evening and four of us had been going to disco at swan yardley, till we lost! Just sat there moping!
Kro

There were strong rumors that Bonetti "took a dive" - from my recollection he was badly at fault for all of the goals and England had been well in command throughout the game. I agree with an earlier poster that the 70 squad was better than the 1966 team and would have been well equipped to take on Brazil (again) in the final and it would have been closer than the thrashing the Brazilians gave to the Italians
Tweet Topic

Blue in CT replying to newblue
02:46, Thursday 17 May 2018
newblue
Cooper was probably better on the ball but Wilson was a Rolls-Royce of a player, Everton were known for that style back then.

Ray Wilson is easily the best left back to play for England in the modern era (post WWII). RIP
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to DES
03:15, Thursday 17 May 2018
DES
Ray was third member of team to pass away but how many of that squad have passed?
Was there a third keeper? Can’t recall.
Second 11 from memory only was
Springett
Arm field
Byrne ( Gerry)
Milne
Flowers
Hunter
Connolly
Greaves
??
Eastam
Paine

Des

Armfield passed away recently

Gerry Byrne died at 77

Connelly (Man Utd) died aged 74

Ron Springett passed away at 80

Ron Flowers of Wolves is one of the oldest still left, he'll be 84 this summer

We did name a third keeper in 66....it was in fact Peter Bonetti

BTW Gordon Milne wasn't selected ....it was his Liverpool team mate Ian Callahan as your odd one out

Rest of them are still alive I believe ....although I know Jimmy Greaves is in a terrible state , saw him in a wheelchair at that Tottenham farewell to The Lane last season , very saddening to see him like that, greatest ever striker from these shores

Nobby Stiles has battled cancer and is now battling dementia , didn't realise he was only 24 when he played in the Final ....Nobby was one of the younger players , he looked much older with that toothless grin
Tweet Topic

11:03, Thursday 17 May 2018
Hurricane your research is brill! I just do all mine off the top of my head! Thats why im wrong so often, Callaghan! good shout.
Here a quiz question for you
a player named in 66 & 70 original squads of 30 but never made the cut either times!!

KRO
Tweet Topic

DES replying to DES
13:49, Thursday 17 May 2018
just been thinking, we have had some very good left backs
wilson
pearce
cole
sansome
Terry Cooper
But as a top quality defender its got to be Ray!
RIP England lege!

KRO
Tweet Topic

philly_bluenose replying to DES
16:13, Thursday 17 May 2018
DES
Kro
[www.youtube.com]
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »