14:01, Wed 16 May
Rip

Aged 83
14:24, Wed 16 May
The second member of the ‘66 squad to pass away this year after Jimmy Armfield :(

Last time I saw a clip of Greavsie he didn’t look too long for this place, sadly.
14:37, Wed 16 May
Feels like another little part of my life has gone. We won't have many of them left in a few years, great shame.

RIP Ray
DES
14:51, Wed 16 May
what a class player Ray Wilson was, sadly it was his misplaced header that led to west germanys opener, apart from that he was flawless! Never seen it at stans but loved his head up claasy style.
RIP Ray.
became an undertaker after footy, not many of present crop will follow into that profession.
15:05, Wed 16 May
DES
Lovely footballer to watch. R.I.P.
15:07, Wed 16 May
DES
DES
what a class player Ray Wilson was, sadly it was his misplaced header that led to west germanys opener, apart from that he was flawless! Never seen it at stans but loved his head up claasy style.
RIP Ray.
became an undertaker after footy, not many of present crop will follow into that profession.

You know someone on here will be along soon to tell you it is a dying trade.
DES
15:09, Wed 16 May
wasnt he Bobby, I've always appreciated full backs he made it look so easy! his career was over by next world cup but two evertonians were in there to rep[lace him, Tommy Wright & Keith Newton, neither quite as good as Ray.

KRO
15:10, Wed 16 May
I will actually be a bit sad I think, when Greavsie goes...which like you I suspect could be any time at all.

He is the first and last word on England goal scorers.

And I will never forget the time he shafted Gary Newbon.

Greavsie = Blues Proper.
DES
15:19, Wed 16 May
spike, i saw a goal of greavsie in one of earliest MOTD`s v man u, never seen anything like it just slalomed around penalty area full of defenders and calmly slotted it!
The greatest of his type undoubtedly!

KRO
15:22, Wed 16 May
DES
DES
wasnt he Bobby, I've always appreciated full backs he made it look so easy! his career was over by next world cup but two evertonians were in there to rep[lace him, Tommy Wright & Keith Newton, neither quite as good as Ray.

KRO
I think Terry Cooper took his place at 70 World Cup . I liked Wright and Newton but not as good as Wilson. Like a Howard Kendall at left back if that makes any sense!
15:25, Wed 16 May
Cooper was probably better on the ball but Wilson was a Rolls-Royce of a player, Everton were known for that style back then.
DES
15:28, Wed 16 May
we all loved TC but Jairzinho ripped him up for arse paper in Mexico, sure Ray would have dealt with that threat a little better, TC going forward YES but defensively Wilson every day of the week ( and twice on saturdays)

KRO
15:28, Wed 16 May
His ‘type’ was a finisher, I can only think of Ian Rush who was in the same league of effectiveness, but Greaves was the best.
15:32, Wed 16 May
DES
Tbf not sure how Jairzhino(sp?) could have been stopped other than by a bullet.
15:37, Wed 16 May
That Brazil forward line was rather good. Our 1970 team was generally regarded as better than the 66 team, I think that’s probably right.
15:40, Wed 16 May
Couldn't agree more. Great team. "Back Home" theme still my favourite as well.(shit video though).
DES
15:51, Wed 16 May
newblue
i have that game on video and although its incredibly slow paced by todays standards thje quality is amazing!
Some of the greatest players to ever grace the beautiful game on the same pitch!

KRO
19:48, Wed 16 May
Rip (*) Must've been great to see England actually win something. Just imagine being one of the players though 8-)
20:08, Wed 16 May
bobbytheg
Couldn't agree more. Great team. "Back Home" theme still my favourite as well.(shit video though).

That was the World Cup where they tried to frame Bobby Moore for stealing a bracelet after a pre tourno warm up in Bogota, Colombia

devilish propaganda but I agree, the 70 squad was equal to the 66 side in terms of talent....if not a little more....Allan Clarke and Astle were there too ...as was Mullery and another Everton stalwart , Labone .....Bonetti got it in the neck for that clanger but he was a great keeper too....'The Cat'

I just think that the altitude and heat played a big part in England bot goind all the way again......History would repeat itself in 86 as the WC was played in Mexico once again and with those hot and humid conditions as well as the elevation , England had a real problem dealing with....although other European countries seemed to deal with it better especially the Dutch

And then of course there was Gerd Muller .....and 'that' miss by Albion legend Jeff Astle,.....best World Cup Final ever , will likely never be topped for total football and how to completely destroy a defensive minded side as the Italians were....although they did have Riva and Rivera as forward plyers....those 2 were world class

RIP RAY WILSON
DES
20:12, Wed 16 May
Hurricane, till Fulham 75 this ( losing to Germany in Leon) was the biggest disappointment I had experienced, it was a Sunday evening and four of us had been going to disco at swan yardley, till we lost! Just sat there moping!
1970 team was brilliant but sadly losing banks was a killer on the day.
Poor old peter Bonetti threw all three in!
Kro