04:16, Wed 13 Jun
Oh ! the memories

Linked Image

Linked Image

Linked Image

Linked Image

Linked Image
18:12, Wed 13 Jun
Come on without, come on within, you an't seen nothing like Fred Pickering. Fred used to ware the blue shirt, blue shorts (with the waist band turned down showing a white band) and white shorts. Best kit ever.
Jim Herriot used to put mud around his eyes on sunny days.
The Bovril man in the white coat with a square tank on his back used to go around the pitch.
The smell of cigars.
The old man took me down the blues for my first match in 1967 a 0-0 draw with Ipswich. I banned him after that match and went with my mates.
18:56, Wed 13 Jun
Late 60s standing at back of paddock - waiting for crowds to go, listening to The Chiffons, & Herb Alpert on the PA...

The pies were tasty and HOT too!

KRO
Yum, Yum, Gimme Some...
19:06, Wed 13 Jun
Great days indeed.
DES
19:19, Wed 13 Jun
Someone said the other day, lots of goals! Huge crowds, epic matches. That’s why we love it to this day!
Bcfc! Till the day I die!
Kro
19:21, Wed 13 Jun
Does anybody remember the half naked go go dancers in front of the Tilton. Might have been 67 or 68 and I'm pretty sure against Millwall, There was a near riot.
DES
19:22, Wed 13 Jun
My God! I’d forgotten that! And a car driving round the cinder track, was it a potential prize?
Kro
19:28, Wed 13 Jun
DES
I do vaguely remember a car but it can't have been a prize, at least not for the Golden Goal.

And whilst we are at the 60s who remembers signing Tony Hateley and him scoring a hat trick against QPR in the opening 15 minutes in his first home game in front of the Tilton.

He was rubbish after that mind.
19:30, Wed 13 Jun
Camlan
I do vaguely remember a car but it can't have been a prize, at least not for the Golden Goal.

And whilst we are at the 60s who remembers signing Tony Hateley and him scoring a hat trick against QPR in the opening 15 minutes in his first home game in front of the Tilton.

He was rubbish after that mind.

Wasn't that Albert Murray?

KRO
19:30, Wed 13 Jun
DES
Yes it was Millwall, and the pale blue invalid cars used to drive on the cinder track around the pitch and park in the corner by the old longines score board.

Does anyone remember that tiny little stand with its own roof between the paddocks and the front of the railway end.
19:34, Wed 13 Jun
Camlan
Does anybody remember the half naked go go dancers in front of the Tilton. Might have been 67 or 68 and I'm pretty sure against Millwall, There was a near riot.

September 30th 1967 …..yes, recall it....they were actually fashion models in mini skirts....can't stress "mini" enough

Promoting a new fashion store that was due to open in the City Centre I think

We lost that game 2-3....Pickering and Vincent (RIP) were our scorers......30,567 at SA ...third biggest home attendance of 67/68 after Vile and Bristol City on Boxing Day

We pulled in more than 40K for that Bristol City Xmas home fixture.....Yet there was a lot of snow on the ground and a complete City wide bus strike going on as well ….awesome support (tu)

KRO
19:37, Wed 13 Jun
I've just looked it up on wiki and you are right, it says Bert Murray. However, unless I am getting senile it was definitely Hateley and all with headers. As I remember Bert Murray, as good as he was, he wouldn't have scored a hat trick.
19:40, Wed 13 Jun
Eamon C
The Bovril man in the white coat with a square tank on his back used to go around the pitch.

I actually did that ...the giant urns that could easily turn you into a 'Quazimodo' ….they were heavy, some carried tea and some carried Bovril ….along with a little satchel stuffed with crisps, cheddars and Milky Ways and Mars Bars etc

Health and safety would likely outlaw those urns today....many of us who did that were actually mere kids in our early teens....I was only 12 or 13

The actual pay was derisory as well....typical Blues :D
19:43, Wed 13 Jun
johnthefence
Does anyone remember that tiny little stand with its own roof between the paddocks and the front of the railway end.

yes, it was there right up until the old Railway Stand was pulled down I think

sponsored by both ABC and Tritron Showers among others I think

It was also known as "Busmen's Corner" .....the off duty drivers and conductors (or clippies) for BCT were usually housed there
19:48, Wed 13 Jun
I remember those days with real fondness. Used to go down to the Top Rank in Dale End for the kids morning disco with mates from school and then either to Blues or Villa (things were different in those days). The late sixties were a good time to be a Blues supporter because the Villa were real rubbish, I am proud to say I was at Villa Park when they got relegated to the old 3rd division. Villa 2 - Preston 4, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
DES
20:34, Wed 13 Jun
Camlan we will have to get southside snook out! I deffo don’t recall a hateley hat trick!
Kro
20:45, Wed 13 Jun
johnthefence

At one time lots of off duty old bill used to stand there, using there warrant cards to get free entry.
21:10, Wed 13 Jun
DES
It was Bert Murray.
21:13, Wed 13 Jun
Camlan
I've just looked it up on wiki and you are right, it says Bert Murray. However, unless I am getting senile it was definitely Hateley and all with headers. As I remember Bert Murray, as good as he was, he wouldn't have scored a hat trick.
. Bert Murray , hat trick , Sept 6 , 1969 , 3-0 at home QPR ....... Tony Hateley , a hat trick for Blues ? Never as long as he had a hole in his bottom
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
21:14, Wed 13 Jun
The Hurricane
Camlan

September 30th 1967 …..yes, recall it....they were actually fashion models in mini skirts....can't stress "mini" enough

Promoting a new fashion store that was due to open in the City Centre I think

We lost that game 2-3....Pickering and Vincent (RIP) were our scorers......30,567 at SA ...third biggest home attendance of 67/68 after Vile and Bristol City on Boxing Day

We pulled in more than 40K for that Bristol City Xmas home fixture.....Yet there was a lot of snow on the ground and a complete City wide bus strike going on as well ….awesome support (tu)

KRO

Remember the Millwall game because my dad decided we were leaving before the end when we were winning. Got home and my mum said it was a shame we’d lost. Cue an argument between parents until dad switched on the radio to find Millwall had scored a couple of late goals to win. Never left a game early after that.