Re: Canada, USA and Mexico

Tandy replying to Holdsworth_MaraSonner
12:57, Wednesday 13 June 2018

Does this mean all 3 countries qualify automatically? That's a bit strange if so.

It’s a 48 team tournament so won’t makr too much difference.
Tweet Topic

WorcsAzul replying to Holdsworth_MaraSonner
12:59, Wednesday 13 June 2018
I believe it does but......there'll also be 48 nations in the finals! They're using 10 stadia in the US, 3 in Mexico and 3 in Canada.

If this is a new trend then I suspect we will only host games again as part of a UK or UK/Ireland bid.
Tweet Topic

Istanblue replying to JCL
13:00, Wednesday 13 June 2018
JCL
Maybe FIFA are trying to be a bit more sensible about it all and make hosting the World Cup less expensive.

I’d assume that between those three countries they have pretty much all the infrastructure and stadiums in place already, or wold just require some upgrades, as a posed to a country that has to build everything from scratch, kill many workers, bankrupt the economy and then have fancy dan empty stadiums as a legacy.

Morocco is not Qatar. It has relatively strong domestic football, a national team who have actually appeared at major international tournaments before, and has big cities used to hosting tournaments, with existing or currently under-construction stadiums. Any other new ones would have been modular so able to downsize as necessary after the tournament.

It was never going to compete with the North American bid on immediate readiness, but that's hardly a hugely relevant criterion eight years before a tournament. I don't think Morocco's was a weak bid or a hugely speculative one by any means.
Tweet Topic

Wingman Blue replying to The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue
13:51, Wednesday 13 June 2018
The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue
Wingman Blue
Why is it? People love moaning.

It is 49 hours from Seattle to Miami.

Three nations attempting a common policy? What if there is a wall? What if US visas become stricter? This is eight years ahead, who knows what the politics will be on that continent by then?

Very little will change in eight years, history tells us they are more likely to be closer than further apart no matter what Trump and Brexit have done to buck that trend recently. It will be a good World Cup, I suspect you had issues with it being in Russia and Qatar too.

And you didn't ?!
Tweet Topic

The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue replying to Wingman Blue
14:21, Wednesday 13 June 2018
To be honest, no. We went there and started claiming we had 'guaranteed' ourselves three votes. How exactly did we do that? It is two new countries hosting, Russia will do a good job and I hope it passes without major hooligan issues - let us not forget there always is. Qatar will be interesting, I think people will love it, central to much of the world for access with relatively cheap flights and all the stadiums in close proximity. There is a great opportunity if they manage to take it.
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to Tandy
14:23, Wednesday 13 June 2018
Yeah, I think it's going to be harder NOT to qualify for that tournament.
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue
14:43, Wednesday 13 June 2018
the problem with qatar for me is the lack of towns and cities in terms of the country itself.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
Tweet Topic

One Riley replying to The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue
14:53, Wednesday 13 June 2018
Qatar will nail it. Whatever it takes they’ll do it. Money no object, even more so now that they’re isolated in the region. Massive PR for them.
Tweet Topic

LondonBlue replying to John_Smullen
15:03, Wednesday 13 June 2018
The Morocco bid looked much better. A new country to host, good cities (Casablanca, Marrakesh etc). Easier to travel. Better timezone from a British perspective.

This 'United' bid was purely chosen for money thumbs down Plus Mexico and the US have hosted it before thumbs down
Tweet Topic

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar replying to LondonBlue
15:38, Wednesday 13 June 2018
I might be in the minority here but I’m thrilled to bits the World Cup is coming this way again.

‘94 was good, ‘86 was very good.......and Canadians are very polite. All bodes well for a good tournament. It’ll be relatively easy to get about and I’m sure it will be very well attended.

England just have to qualify now. Something they obviously didn’t manage in ‘94. With 48 teams qualifying for 2026, I’d hope they’d manage it this time.

The quest for tickets starts today!
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."
Tweet Topic

Oldham replying to LondonBlue
15:38, Wednesday 13 June 2018
LondonBlue
The Morocco bid looked much better. A new country to host, good cities (Casablanca, Marrakesh etc). Easier to travel. Better timezone from a British perspective.

This 'United' bid was purely chosen for money thumbs down Plus Mexico and the US have hosted it before thumbs down

Easier to travel?
Tweet Topic

Tilton Rifle replying to John_Smullen
15:42, Wednesday 13 June 2018
Great news. America flip yeah
Tweet Topic

Skitters replying to Oldham
15:53, Wednesday 13 June 2018
with the expansion to 48 teams there would presumably be concern Morocco would not have enough stadiums.

I think there have been reports that FIFA would like Qatar to agree to co-host so that they could expand that tournament to 48 teams too, but Qatar are resistant to that.

Looks like joint bids are the future as far as FIFA are concerned. I guess England could still bid by themselves, but suspect co-hosting with Scotland and Wales may be a stronger position (partly selling it as two countries who had not previously hosted).
Tweet Topic

Bordesley not Small Heath replying to Holdsworth_MaraSonner
16:17, Wednesday 13 June 2018
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
Does this mean all 3 countries qualify automatically? That's a bit strange if so.

Wouldn't suprise me if the number of WC teams isn't upped by then, like the euros.
Tweet Topic

European Bob replying to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
16:22, Wednesday 13 June 2018
It doesn’t make that much difference for European teams.

16 qualify rather than 13 (or 14 if there is a European host)
Tweet Topic

Le Mod replying to European Bob
16:25, Wednesday 13 June 2018
And tbf when the Euros has been co-hosted it's meant 2 of the 16 teams qualified automatically.

3 out of 32 doesn't seem so bad and it probably will be an expanded tournament by then.
@LeMod1875
Tweet Topic

Tilton shark replying to Le Mod
18:05, Wednesday 13 June 2018
USA is an excellent choice for me. Have family that live just north of Houston so If England can qualify and be based in either Houston or Dallas then we are sorted. Just a quick hop up or down the I45.

Or I could base in Las Vegas and from there hit LA or San Fran.

Also Ideal if you take kids to Orlando as you can base in Florida for the Orlando or Miami games.

And if NE USA is more for you then you have great options with the 5 host cities from DC to Boston and not to mention the 2 Canadian cities just over the border.

Internal flights in USA are so easy to navigate and loads of cheap flights available.

Its a win win for me.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
Tweet Topic

Bluewurst replying to JCL
18:15, Wednesday 13 June 2018
JCL
Maybe FIFA are trying to be a bit more sensible about it all and make hosting the World Cup less expensive.

I’d assume that between those three countries they have pretty much all the infrastructure and stadiums in place already, or wold just require some upgrades, as a posed to a country that has to build everything from scratch, kill many workers, bankrupt the economy and then have fancy dan empty stadiums as a legacy.

None of that is relevant

FIFA have gone for maximum ££££££

People hoping for XYZ for England might be disappointed. IMO they will put England in Canada (also France)

Saying that, it will be superb if they do!
@Bluewurst1875
Tweet Topic

Bluestaines replying to Skitters
18:27, Wednesday 13 June 2018
Skitters
with the expansion to 48 teams there would presumably be concern Morocco would not have enough stadiums.

I think there have been reports that FIFA would like Qatar to agree to co-host so that they could expand that tournament to 48 teams too, but Qatar are resistant to that.

Looks like joint bids are the future as far as FIFA are concerned. I guess England could still bid by themselves, but suspect co-hosting with Scotland and Wales may be a stronger position (partly selling it as two countries who had not previously hosted).

That would only add 3 or 4 extra stadia?
Tweet Topic

WhittontheWizard replying to The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue
02:52, Thursday 14 June 2018
European Bob
Istanblue
The distance thing is a bit of a red herring. The main problem as far as I'm concerned is that the USA has now had two World Cups in three decades and Mexico hosted it three times. Morocco have never had it and the whole of Africa has hosted one World Cup ever. The choice for maximum variety and fairness would've been Morocco.

This was my thoughts on it.

Considering the level of interest in football between us and the USA, they’ll have had 2 in 9 tournaments whereas we will have had 0 in the last 15

I am pretty confident that England will win the next one in the European cycle.

GB... Final at Wembley, s/f''s at Cardiff , & Hampden or Celtic Park. And q/f's at Wembley, Cardiff & Glasgow, plus Old Trafford. All group games in London, Brum, L'pool, N'castle, Sheffield, Man City, Derby, Southampton etc. Aim to take the game all round our, small, country - Ibrox too- one group game per ground. However, political changes may scupper this plan...

KRO

, Southampton, Leeds, S'land, Boro etc. AIM for only one group game per ground....Take it round the UK (Ibrox too), and place teams strategically,...Chamging political landscape may scupper this plan though...
Yum, Yum, Gimme Some...
Tweet Topic

texasblue replying to Tilton shark
05:18, Thursday 14 June 2018
I'll be hoping for Dallas Houston for England as I'm in San Antonio be great if we end up there. But either way can't wait will just travel wherever we are thumbs up
Tweet Topic

Bluesince62 replying to texasblue
07:00, Thursday 14 June 2018
I look forward to the joint England/Isle of Wight bid for 2030.
Thanks for keeping us up, Harry.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »