Re: First World cup

Redijedi replying to brierleyblue
00:47, Thursday 14 June 2018
This sum sums up how I feel too. Whereas before I'd be up for watching any game it's just the England games now and whichever teams make it to the final. More interested in who blues will sign tbh. Mexico 86 for me. Was 8 at the time. Then Italia was when got really into it.
Tweet Topic

The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue replying to Bluewurst
01:05, Thursday 14 June 2018
Bluewurst
I clearly remember an episode from the 1970 one. Aged 4 or 5 I declared that one of the Brazil players was a fanny.

Two minutes later I was in my uncles kitchen chewing on a bar of soap having found out it wasn’t an official position for any team.

Although a vague recollection from 1966 (aged about one) was from a World Cup game where mum took us out to watch the “foreigners” arrive in a crowd at the sheds. No clue what game that was

This last paragraph, is it a joke I don't get?
Tweet Topic

Dougie Bell replying to The Right Reverand Charcy Blue Blue
07:11, Thursday 14 June 2018
My first recollection of watching the world cup was being sat in the living room in 1978, playing with my cars, and watching the ticker tape reception onto the pitch for the players before the Argentina v Holland match, and thinking "wow, I'd love to be there". Don't remember anything else of that tournament. The first one I remember properly was 82.
That was liquid football!
Tweet Topic

JCL replying to alofthecov
09:31, Thursday 14 June 2018
Mexico 86 for me.
I don’t remember much from my childhood but have clear memory of wearing the England shirt in the cul de sac outside our house and watching one game upside down on the sofa, with my head on the floor.
That’s about it.

When you look back at the footage of the games form World Cups past it makes you realise how crappy the picture was, but at the time it always looked the nuts.
Well I suppose I'll have to escape eventually, but I'm not quite up to it at the moment
Tweet Topic

A_n_E replying to voodZ
09:47, Thursday 14 June 2018
78 for me too. i remember the final with the ticker tape and my dad telling me we wanted holland to win (he's always hated argentina since the 66 world cup)
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to voodZ
09:57, Thursday 14 June 2018
voodZ
78 - Kempes an that. fkin brilliant it was.

74 was mine, I was at Butlins with our nan and grandad. Every night would be me and grandad sat there watching the games. That Dutch team left a real impact on me.

78 I obviously remember better because I was the four years older.

I honestly think 78 was one of the best World Cups ever. I thought it might be rose tinted specs but I have rewatched some of the games since and the whole atmosphere and drama of that tournament was something else.

Plus, you know. Scotland losing to Peru and drawing with Iran after Ally McLeod had boasted they were going to win it...what wasn't to like?
Tweet Topic

number8 replying to Spike
11:02, Thursday 14 June 2018
Same as you pretty much. I remember 74 pretty well, but by 78 I was 12 and all the kids at school were mad about it as well so it seemed bigger & better. I've always quite liked the Argies, and I didn't mind them winning it (that would have been different if Cruyff had played though).

82 I was doing my O Levels in between trying to watch every game, I'm amazed I passed anything.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
Tweet Topic

sandpit72 replying to alofthecov
11:26, Thursday 14 June 2018
86, Maradona, Hand of God etc.
Tweet Topic

bobbytheg replying to The Hurricane
11:56, Thursday 14 June 2018
Arie? Haan scored 2 amazing long range goals in 1978. Still on you tube. Saw 3 games at B6 in 66. West Germany, Spain and Argentine group. Spanish side trained at Tally Ho! Police sports ground, Pershore Road. Dad cut our holiday short by a day to get back for game.
Tweet Topic

Spike replying to bobbytheg
12:14, Thursday 14 June 2018
78 was a fascinating World Cup for many reasons - many of which I didn't understand until later because I was too young and didn't give a toss.

There was the political turmoil and background, and the political propaganda delivered to the "government".

The non-selection of Maradona.

There were the suggestions that Cruyff had been warned off.

The fact that the schedule had been arranged to advantage Argentina.

There was that dodgy Argentina / Peru game.

Brazil losing the plot and just ending up in a kicking match with Argentina...although that Brazil side was dirty. They kicked the shit out of England in a "friendly" before the World Cup.

Austria beating Germany which may have influenced that infamous match in 1982.

Clive Thomas disallowing the Brazil goal against Sweden.

Argentina trying to psych Holland out in the final by complaining about Van Der Kerkhoff's plaster.

The atmosphere, the ticker tape, the tape round the goalposts, Arie Haan's shooting.

Gemmill's goal, Willie Johnston getting sent home...there was probably loads more that I've forgotten for the moment.

That World Cup was just incredible on and off the pitch.
Tweet Topic

weaponsguru replying to TuttoCalcio
12:41, Thursday 14 June 2018
TuttoCalcio
Mexico 1970. Brilliant.

I remember having a Mexico 70 T-shirt, but don't remember much about the finals.

Remember 74 I West Germany though. Bekenbauer, Muller and Cruff (about a minute in?).

Can see him running now (it may actually be a more recent replay I can see, but it doesn't matter :))
Tweet Topic

mr_crosby replying to TuttoCalcio
12:47, Thursday 14 June 2018
TuttoCalcio
Mexico 1970. Brilliant.
Mine also Brazil vs England and going out to Germany in the quarter final.
Tweet Topic

Fat Buddha replying to alofthecov
13:21, Thursday 14 June 2018
What a belter that was
Tweet Topic

alofthecov replying to bobbytheg
14:06, Thursday 14 June 2018
bobbytheg
Arie? Haan scored 2 amazing long range goals in 1978. Still on you tube. Saw 3 games at B6 in 66. West Germany, Spain and Argentine group. Spanish side trained at Tally Ho! Police sports ground, Pershore Road. Dad cut our holiday short by a day to get back for game.

Yep I saw a game at vile Park. No goals between Argies and Germany. There must have been another Midlands ground used for games but can't remember what it was
Tweet Topic

Bluewurst replying to alofthecov
14:11, Thursday 14 June 2018
Hillsborough
@Bluewurst1875
Tweet Topic

StechyBlue replying to voodZ
16:29, Thursday 14 June 2018
voodZ
78 - Kempes an that. fkin brilliant it was.

Probably the one where we cocked that penalty up... earliest memory I think.
Tweet Topic

Brother Tam, the deep fat friar replying to Fat Buddha
16:38, Thursday 14 June 2018
Fat Buddha
What a belter that was

Yes, 1970 for me as well. Fantastic World Cup, although I was inconsolable when we were knocked out by West Germany.
The belle of St Trillions
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to alofthecov
18:36, Thursday 14 June 2018
alofthecov
bobbytheg

Yep I saw a game at vile Park. No goals between Argies and Germany. There must have been another Midlands ground used for games but can't remember what it was

yes, the grounds used for the 1966 World Cup were

Wembley
White City …..the old greyhound and speedway track near the QPR ground and the old BBC TV centre…...never really understood why White City was used instead of Stamford Bridge or Highbury

Villa Park
Hillsborough

Goodison Park
Old Trafford

Roker Park and Ayresome Park ….both gone of course as these days both Sunderland and Boro have new stadia

I'm sure all the clubs got some kind of major funding for renovations , Vile added the roof to the Holte End and rebuilt that smallish Witton Rd seater stand for '66....Old Trafford got a brand new seat stand....Hillsborough got that new all seater stand on the far side from the older stand and TV gantries …..I sat in that for the Blues FA Cup 4th Round tie v Sheff Wed in 1969 and the FA Cup semi final between The Baggies and Leicester the very same year …..it was absolutely awesome back then as it was fairly new ….super view

I'm fairly sure Leppings Lane end stand was built for the WC as well....that was the focal point of the Hillsborough Tragedy in 1989
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to The Hurricane
18:40, Thursday 14 June 2018
Seeing as North Korea has been in the headlines again this week

They qualified for the England World Cup and I think they beat the Italians with a goal from a fellow who became a legend name ….Pak Doo Ik

Italy never went beyond their group....they got pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes when they landed back home
Tweet Topic

bluearmyfaction replying to The Hurricane
20:42, Thursday 14 June 2018
I've got a poster signed by the then-seven surviving members of that Korea team.

A chap called Nick Bonner, who runs tours to North Korea, did a film about that World Cup. FIFA charged an exorbitant fee for the match footage and he went to the DPRK leadership to say he could not use it. "No worries," they replied, "we have our own." Even in 1966 they were so paranoid that they took their own film crew to cover the matches.

Italy played most of the game with 10 men as one of their defenders crocked themselves when fouling a Korean. Film is called The Game Of Their Lives and well worth looking out. Brought the team back to Middlesbrough for a parade around the ground.

My first WC was Argentina. I was five. In the playground I was Rensenbrink. Completed the FKS album, where you had to glue in the cards. Odd things I remember. France playing in green and white stripes because they'd brought the wrong kit to a game. Hungary having two sent off against Argentina (curious). No showing of the third place play-off - instead Grandstand had an item about how people watched it in Italy and Brazil. And a heated discussion as to whether Scotland needed to beat the Dutch 3-1 or 3-0.

One of the channels had a tool on their replays that showed the path of the ball from long distance shots. Showed off the Ali Parvin curling free kicks for Iran.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to The Hurricane
21:56, Thursday 14 June 2018
The Hurricane
Seeing as North Korea has been in the headlines again this week

They qualified for the England World Cup and I think they beat the Italians with a goal from a fellow who became a legend name ….Pak Doo Ik

Italy never went beyond their group....they got pelted with rotten eggs and tomatoes when they landed back home
Yes at ayresome Park! Italy went home and North Korea went three up? Against Portugal before Eusebio done them over!
Kro
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »