Southgate

Ribeye
08:06, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Won me over but what do you do in his shoes? Personally I'd quit while his stock is through the roof and before the press inevitablely turn on him or do you stick around and try and win the euros? Can't see him bettering what he has just achieved to be fair.
Tweet Topic

Re: Southgate

85Blue replying to Ribeye
08:10, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I can't see the press turning on him unless we fail to qualify or get knocked out at group stage. He's embraced the press like no other manager in my time
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to Ribeye
08:11, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
He'll stick around

The England job pays very well indeed thumbs up
Tweet Topic

Ribeye replying to 85Blue
08:12, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
85Blue
I can't see the press turning on him unless we fail to qualify or get knocked out at group stage. He's embraced the press like no other manager in my time

He's one bad result away from the press turning on him.
Tweet Topic

Scoobers replying to Ribeye
08:14, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
The football press have been more fair to him than many fans
Tweet Topic

The Hurricane replying to 85Blue
08:15, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
85Blue

Much more complimentary being dubbed 'The Waistcoat Man' than a 'Turnip'

Bobby Robson was mercilessly savaged by the English media after the World Cup 86 exit and a quite terrible Euros 88 , lost all three games to Ireland, Holland and the old Soviet Union, the latter two contested the Final

But he turned it all around for Italia 90 ….magnificent man and well respected by players and fans alike ….he was a bloomin' exceptional footballer in his heyday as well

thumbs up
Tweet Topic

DES replying to The Hurricane
08:19, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Southgate’s stock at all time high!
No way will he leave! He just needs to unearth a genuinely creative midfielder and then we can win a tournament!
Kro
Tweet Topic

Pathfinder replying to Ribeye
08:23, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I think there needs to be a point where we (as a group of English people) stand up to the press when they try and affect how our national team performs and plays. I think that has started with the way that most people reacted to the Sun's story about Sterling and his tattoo.
Tweet Topic

I.P.F replying to DES
09:11, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
DES
No way will he leave! He just needs to unearth a genuinely creative midfielder and then we can win a tournament!
Kro

"Certain people not very far away" are saying that man is Jack Greaselish.
Tweet Topic

Legal_Bluenose replying to Ribeye
09:13, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Why would he quit? I can't see that he's done anything wrong. The press and the public seem to be behind him and the players want to play for him..
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
Tweet Topic

DES replying to I.P.F
09:39, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I.P.F
DES
Kro

Grealish is a massive talent as well as a massive C**t no doubt about it, Under Sherwood when they beat us 1.0 he was game changer and then there was his performance V Liverpool at wembley back in 2015, so I wouldn't rule him out but a long way to go yet, wonder about that English Kid at Citeh? world cup winner for his age group but probably most difficult side to get into!

KRO
Tweet Topic

Frank replying to Ribeye
09:52, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I want him to stay and build on the foundations he has created both with the players and the rest of us.

Along with the team, when the time is right he has to learn his lessons from this World Cup.

His coaching and ability to prepare the team have been major positives. The biggest question mark for me is whether he has the ability to react to what is going on during the game and act decisively.
Tweet Topic

Pathfinder replying to DES
09:52, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Its easier to be a big fish in a smaller pond, be interesting to see how Grealish develops when he moves to a big club ( :D ) and plays in big games both domestically and European. Foden looks a talent but think he is more of an advanced player than a midfield playmaker. We've won or got to final in most of the age groups now so you would hope there is some talent to emerge from those. Hopefully their development won't be stopped by big money foreign players. There are a few young English players moving to European clubs to develop and maybe get more game time - Marcus McGuane, Jadon Sanchez, Ademola Lookman (loan)
Tweet Topic

number8 replying to Frank
09:56, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I agree on all that. Euro 20 will be different as there will be a bit of pressure after this, I hope he can carry on and ideally develop living with that.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
Tweet Topic

Alum Rocker replying to DES
10:04, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Agree he will stay, he would be a fool to leave.

I think we are more tha one quality midfielder away from winning something this was our chance with no real top drawer side in the completion. qualiffying is pretty well a cert for Euros so he will be there in two years.

He has handled himself well and is hard to dislike. Particularly liked the way he was lifting the players up off the floor at the end of the game last night.
Tweet Topic

Frank replying to number8
10:14, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Agreed, no way the honeymoon period lasts until 2020.

I said it before the tournament and still think the comparison with Stuart Lancaster as the English rugby coach is a valid one. The difference is Lancaster got the bullet and someone else reaped the benefits for a while with the same group of players.

He seems self aware enough to critically evaluate himself and work on that, or potentially add someone in.
Tweet Topic

bluer than blues replying to Ribeye
10:17, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Ribeye
Won me over but what do you do in his shoes? Personally I'd quit while his stock is through the roof and before the press inevitablely turn on him or do you stick around and try and win the euros? Can't see him bettering what he has just achieved to be fair.

Really? Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away, but this is a young side that will only improve.
Tweet Topic

Partisan Blues Fan replying to DES
12:05, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
DES
Kro

Wow DES your talking sense...for a change.!::P
Tweet Topic

STD replying to Ribeye
14:07, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Ribeye
Won me over but what do you do in his shoes? Personally I'd quit while his stock is through the roof

Southgate has a poor track record in club football, sometimes managers are more suited to international. I would be begging the FA to extend my contract on the back of the tournament, top 4 is beyond any England fans expectations going in to this World Cup
Moist
Tweet Topic

dork replying to STD
14:16, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Don't forget there is a conveyer belt of talent coming through from the under 23's,21's etc all schooled the same way , and , with the experience the squad got in Russia things are looking quite good at the moment , why would he quit ?
Tweet Topic

Predator replying to I.P.F
14:21, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
I.P.F
DES
Kro

Like it or not Grealish would certainly add to the creativity in midfield we are severely lacking, Foden is also a quality player.
Tweet Topic

fradge replying to Predator
18:57, Thursday 12 Jul 2018
Predator
I.P.F
DES
Kro

Like it or not Grealish would certainly add to the creativity in midfield we are severely lacking, Foden is also a quality player.

Think Foden is more likely to end up as the answer than Grealish.
Tweet Topic
Advertise your business to thousands of Brummies »