Jim
10:36, Tue 9 Oct
Typical SHA reactions to mental health issues, I'm sorry to say.

Just surprised no-one has suggested yet that he should man up or grow a pair!
10:40, Tue 9 Oct
Fat Buddha
So you don't think a negative incident could be a trigger for depression?

There’s a difference between endogenous and reactive depression..........or, if you like, between feeling a bit sorry for yourself and being so depressed that you simply can’t function.

I for one, am against the trivialising of a serious and heartbreaking condition.

This is what I was thinking but unable to so eloquently put into words
10:58, Tue 9 Oct
blues
Having mental health issues seems to be more of a badge of honour these days.

Some people have genuine problems and they have my sympathy. Others simply use it as an excuse.

It's sometimes difficult to distinguish between the two

I have to agree, the amount of people I see online saying how their anxiety is causing them problems baffles me. They then list a number of symptoms proving they have anxiety.

Yet the symptoms listed are just normal Human emotions. Things like worrying about starting a new job or being nervous meeting new people. It seems to be girls who push this more often than not . I think the world has gone mad and people want to claim they have something.

Of course in regards to depression that can be serious and I wouldn't like to second guess whether he has it or not but the reasoning does seem a bit strange.
When I arrive I am causing a Heatwave
Anxiety has nothing to do with Blues post, what exactly are you agreeing about. Yes anxiety may be a symptom of depression but it's not another word for it.

People are talking like he's the first famous, rich person to have it. It's an illness, if a few people think they have it when they don't id rather give them the benefit of the doubt. Rather than assume everyone is putting it on.

Fortunately I don't have it, I would say I have some lows like everyone but I'm good at arranging my thoughts not everyone is that lucky. People very close to me have suffered and its awful and I would not wish it on anyone nor would I want to dismiss anyone who feels they have it.
11:09, Tue 9 Oct
The whole of life is an illusion that our brain tries to make sense of. Time is not linear but our brain needs it to be to make it all work for example. Happiness is totally a state of mind. Money, material things, mrs with a big pair of jugs, in fact all perceived good things whist admittedly should make life easier do not necessarily equate to “happiness” it is totally your own mind which governs it. If someone is really unhappy or depressed then no matter what their reason is, in their world this is a fact so they should be respected for it. The human brain can be very very strange.
👍 to you and Charcy
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
11:12, Tue 9 Oct
How can you tell if people are actually depressed instead of people who are just down about their job or money issues etc ?

Not knocking people by the way just seems an awful amount of people say they are depressed these days and are off work.

Surely it should be a serious national health warning that this many people in the country are depressed and the cause should be found before this illness increases?

Otherwise anyone can claim depression and not work. I sound unsympathetic here but i dont mean too.
Roger the lodger
The whole of life is an illusion that our brain tries to make sense of. Time is not linear but our brain needs it to be to make it all work for example. Happiness is totally a state of mind. Money, material things, mrs with a big pair of jugs, in fact all perceived good things whist admittedly should make life easier do not necessarily equate to “happiness” it is totally your own mind which governs it. If someone is really unhappy or depressed then no matter what their reason is, in their world this is a fact so they should be respected for it. The human brain can be very very strange.

Jim Jeffries has a great sketch on his depression that says a lot of that.

Not the bloke who managed Bradford.
How many people are off work with depression?
6 of my mates are. Another 7 are through my work. More are on medication but still working.

Are you hinting that depression isnt on the rise? Most of my social media is posts from people claiming to have battled depression.

Im sounding harsh here but im honestly interested how its determined and assessed
11:25, Tue 9 Oct
Lack of funding doesn't help.
Nor do you by the sounds of things 😁
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
11:30, Tue 9 Oct
How can i help? My lifes pretty shit and so are many others. But im not ill. I understand fully people are suffering bad.

My point is anyone can say they are depressed or think they are when in fact there life situations just crap.

To add on my above post, 4 of my mates are off because its easy to get signed off from work. Not depressed at all.
Honestly, that's a lot of people and not symbiotic of how many people are off work through depression.

My first reaction was like Rab's. What do you do to people?!
11:39, Tue 9 Oct
6 of my mates are. Another 7 are through my work. More are on medication but still working.

Are you hinting that depression isnt on the rise? Most of my social media is posts from people claiming to have battled depression.

Im sounding harsh here but im honestly interested how its determined and assessed

There's a common denominator here!
Roger the lodger

Jim Jeffries has a great sketch on his depression that says a lot of that.

Not the bloke who managed Bradford.

That's all very well but I don't believe a word Carrick or his ghost writer/publicist is saying
Marstonblue
How can i help? My lifes pretty shit and so are many others. But im not ill. I understand fully people are suffering bad.

My point is anyone can say they are depressed or think they are when in fact there life situations just crap.

To add on my above post, 4 of my mates are off because its easy to get signed off from work. Not depressed at all.

That last paragraph is sad, and they are not depressed are they?They are benefits cheats, and probably shouldn't be your friends. What they do takes nothing away from people who are depressed.

I'm not sure that is what Carrick was doing, either.
11:56, Tue 9 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
Tony Hancock
I can't help but suspect that if he swapped lives with most, if not all of us, he'd feel worse.
This thread is symptomatic of the reasons people are wary of speaking out and getting stigmatised.
Well feckin done

Aww. Please don't have a go at me. I'm not exactly jumping for joy, myself.

I've absolutely no problem with people who open up about how they feel.

I'm just wondering how he expects people to respond to "I was in a Champions League cup final, and the result didn't go the way I wanted, and on top of that, I was picked to play at the world Cup finals, and I just didn't enjoy it".

Now I got wiped out in a divorce, both my parents died of things which pretty much tortured them to death, my son had a debilitating condition, I'll probably have to work until pensionable age, if I can, and I keep getting my posts deleted.

What am I supposed to say to him "Oh you poor love, I do feel for you."

So, I wasn't having a go, I'm just suggesting that a bit of perspective might make him feel better.
12:00, Tue 9 Oct
I'd say perspective is hard to find when you’re depressed, otherwise people wouldn’t be depressed
12:00, Tue 9 Oct
I think the point is as its an illness, perspective doesn't really play a part. You can say that from where you are, it doesn't work if you're the person suffering.

Perspective is fine if you can align your thoughts to think logically - depression doesn't allow you to do that.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
You see, that's where you still don't get it. There is no perspective, it's an illness. People with depression would kill for perspective to make a difference. It doesn't.