10:42, Fri 12 Oct
Ali didn’t even turn up for his old mans funeral because the lads would be there.

The anniversary meeting and gig at the Hare while acknowledging their 1st gig, again avoided after an invite from the rest of the band.

Never will they play again imo.
DES
10:56, Fri 12 Oct
i remember his dad, he was folk singer when i was growing up, someone persuaded me to go see, hated Folk music ever since!
Money talks however, the crap UB40 must be penniless so they will agree to anything eventually.

KRO
12:32, Fri 12 Oct
DES
And here is the documentary for the record.

Also noticed their old boozer over in Digbeth has re-opened
12:50, Fri 12 Oct
What boozer?
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
12:52, Fri 12 Oct
Cauliflower Ear/ Eagle and Tun presumably
12:53, Fri 12 Oct
👍
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
13:17, Fri 12 Oct
Been open for ages hasn’t it?

Doesn’t look great TBF
@Bluewurst1875
13:18, Fri 12 Oct
The Eagle & Tun is where they had an album photo taken.
14:31, Fri 12 Oct
Haircut1000
stevo
Never liked the Style council,maybe to do with the fact they followed the Jam.So i'm not so much lacking in taste after all then ?

Walls Come Tumbling Down. Great song.

If i remember rightly,that was written before The Jam split and would have been their next single after Beat surrender.
14:37, Fri 12 Oct
I think that was 'Solid Bond In Your Heart'

There is a Jam version of it on the rarities album 'Extras'.
15:00, Fri 12 Oct
I stand corrected Shaun.
11:54, Sun 14 Oct
stevo
DES
stevo
The original UB40 were shit. Now there are 2 shit UB40's.

shocking to be so lacking in taste, along with ELO the only world class bands out of Brum (not into heavy metal!)
Ali Campbell got one of greatest voices ever!

KRO

Nothing to do with taste Des,it's just that they're not very good.Prefer The Jam,best band ever,Clash,Oasis,Inspiral carpets,Levellers,Stone Roses and believe it or not,Christians.Prefer guitar bands that write their own stuff.

I’ve seen both the Clash (Bingly Hall 82) and UB40 (Cannon Hill Park 79) and I know which I thought was easily the best.
14:14, Sun 14 Oct
Spike
Shaun of Brum (in London)
Their first two albums are mint. Cool young Brummie mates making great music.

In that documentary Ali pretty much writes their first two albums off and states they only really learnt to tune, play and get their sound by the 3rd?!?

What seemed to happen was they were travelling the world , living and spending money like they were the Rolling Stones but in reality they were the worlds biggest covers band making £0.00 in royalty's due to not writing anything.

I pretty much agree with all of that.

The first two albums were effing good, and the fact that Ali dismissed them the way he did just shows how little he understood about why they were so good.

The fact that he thinks they were better once they had become more polished at doing other peoples' songs just shows how they became so shit so quickly.

The documentary - I thought - showed them all to be a bunch of idiots. The one I actually feel sorry for is Duncan. I've seen them with Duncan singing, and he's a truly terrible singer - but it's not his fault, I don't think he's a bad guy and I think he is genuinely hurt that he has become s stick for the two factions to beat each other with.

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say I do have a feeling that they will all get back together at some point and do a massive world tour. I think through their fog of stupidness it will occur to them that that is the way they will all make a feckload of money and get out of the holes they have dug themselves into.

Very much this. Used to play pool with the band in the Eagle and Tun 1983-85. Duncan was a really nice bloke, but it was clear he had little musical ability. A few years later a mate who'd part-owned a small club in Brum told me there were some 'really heavy dudes' hanging around the band, and he wasn't someone who was easily intimidated. Then the money ran out.

As for iconic Brum bands, Spencer Davis Group ( from Great Barr) and later on, Led Zeppelin? Both far more influential than UB40 has ever been.
15:20, Sun 14 Oct
DES
I am quite enjoying the new Paul Weller album
07:23, Mon 15 Oct
Never gonna happen.....

[photos.app.goo.gl]
07:25, Mon 15 Oct
Link doesn’t work
07:26, Mon 15 Oct
Spike
Shaun of Brum (in London)
Their first two albums are mint. Cool young Brummie mates making great music.

In that documentary Ali pretty much writes their first two albums off and states they only really learnt to tune, play and get their sound by the 3rd?!?

What seemed to happen was they were travelling the world , living and spending money like they were the Rolling Stones but in reality they were the worlds biggest covers band making £0.00 in royalty's due to not writing anything.

I pretty much agree with all of that.

The first two albums were effing good, and the fact that Ali dismissed them the way he did just shows how little he understood about why they were so good.

The fact that he thinks they were better once they had become more polished at doing other peoples' songs just shows how they became so shit so quickly.

The documentary - I thought - showed them all to be a bunch of idiots. The one I actually feel sorry for is Duncan. I've seen them with Duncan singing, and he's a truly terrible singer - but it's not his fault, I don't think he's a bad guy and I think he is genuinely hurt that he has become s stick for the two factions to beat each other with.

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say I do have a feeling that they will all get back together at some point and do a massive world tour. I think through their fog of stupidness it will occur to them that that is the way they will all make a feckload of money and get out of the holes they have dug themselves into.

Never gonna happen.....Brian Travers yesterday...

Thanks Nepz , just for the record so there’s no confusion
‘I WILL NEVER WORK WITH THOSE THREE AGAIN!’ SPEND A SECOND IN THEIR COMPANY, ENGAGE IN A CONVERSATION, I HAVE WAY MORE SELF RESPECT FOR MYSELF AND A VERY LOW TOLERANCE FOR NARCISSISTIC BULLSHITTERS...BTW Virtue & Wilson were not ORIGINAL MEMBERS ,
, The last to join the band actually...
They will, everyone does.