DES
15:45, Thu 11 Oct
The fall out was about the root of all evil...MONEY!

KRO
15:49, Thu 11 Oct
DES
DES
stevo
The original UB40 were shit. Now there are 2 shit UB40's.

shocking to be so lacking in taste, along with ELO the only world class bands out of Brum (not into heavy metal!)
Ali Campbell got one of greatest voices ever!

KRO

Into heavy metal or not Black Sabbath are a world class band.
Spot on, Shaun

And Black Sabbath predate the genre ‘evvy mecul’ in any case
15:59, Thu 11 Oct
Spot on, Shaun

And Black Sabbath predate the genre ‘evvy mecul’ in any case

Not many bands can say they invented a genre and sold 70-80 million records too, they make me proud to be from here.

Another great pioneering, yet comparatively little known, Birmingham band is Diamond Head, they pretty much invented Thrash Metal and during the last Big 4 show (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax) they all got on stage together and jammed a few Diamond ahead tunes in appreciation.
16:07, Thu 11 Oct
DES
I thought the implication in the doc was that it was sheer coke/weed incompetence mixed with a bit of peacock feather display from Ali that did for them.

And as for the "two shit UB40s", OK, they went shit quick but the Signing Off album and Earth Dies Screaming 12" are some of this city's best ever music.

That they sold off any credibility from '83 onwards has been paid back with the two aforementioned releases seeming to have zero cachet now. Shame though.
DES
16:20, Thu 11 Oct
its all about personal choices (life is actually) ELO & UB40 all time greats, if Black sabbath were playing in the garden Id pull the curtains, love Ozzy as a character but apart from Paranoid the rest of their stuff makes my ears bleed!
My fave UB record bring me your Cup version with astro rapping, ELO too many to mention but perhaps Telephone line?

KRO
16:51, Thu 11 Oct
DES
DES
stevo
The original UB40 were shit. Now there are 2 shit UB40's.

shocking to be so lacking in taste, along with ELO the only world class bands out of Brum (not into heavy metal!)
Ali Campbell got one of greatest voices ever!

KRO

Nothing to do with taste Des,it's just that they're not very good.Prefer The Jam,best band ever,Clash,Oasis,Inspiral carpets,Levellers,Stone Roses and believe it or not,Christians.Prefer guitar bands that write their own stuff.
DES
17:06, Thu 11 Oct
like i said stevo, all about personal taste, actually like all thise bamnds that you mention, with ELO 90% of the stuff was downb to the genius of Jeff Lynn, that bloke is probably most under rated singer songwriter out there, when i saw them @ NEC he and the band were note perfect throughout, twenty back to back classics!

you left out style council!! shout to the top my fave weller song ever!

KRO
Clash police and thieves and rock the casbah! both great
17:11, Thu 11 Oct
DES
Never liked the Style council,maybe to do with the fact they followed the Jam.So i'm not so much lacking in taste after all then ?
17:13, Thu 11 Oct
DES
DES, you do know bands can still be great and world class even if you don't like them, don't you?
18:14, Thu 11 Oct
DES
DES
like i said stevo, all about personal taste, actually like all thise bamnds that you mention, with ELO 90% of the stuff was downb to the genius of Jeff Lynn, that bloke is probably most under rated singer songwriter out there, when i saw them @ NEC he and the band were note perfect throughout, twenty back to back classics!

you left out style council!! shout to the top my fave weller song ever!

KRO
Clash police and thieves and rock the casbah! both great

I never got the point of ELO, bland, overproduced and nothing to say
21:03, Thu 11 Oct
The Moody Blues , also one of the most successful bands to come out of Brum I remember as a kid thinking the name came from them being Blues fans !!
21:13, Thu 11 Oct
Hawaii Blue
The Moody Blues , also one of the most successful bands to come out of Brum I remember as a kid thinking the name came from them being Blues fans !!

Wasn't their name something to do with Mitchells and Butlers pubs? (M&B)
22:47, Thu 11 Oct
stevo
Never liked the Style council,maybe to do with the fact they followed the Jam.So i'm not so much lacking in taste after all then ?

Walls Come Tumbling Down. Great song.
J
23:07, Thu 11 Oct
They haven't been very good for a long time. Duncan Campbell put nails in an already closed coffin. Horrendous.
Cheery Chappy Charcy
People who read books are mugs. If it is good enough it will be on TV.
00:52, Fri 12 Oct
Yes it was I found that out more recently.
bluefrank
I thought the implication in the doc was that it was sheer coke/weed incompetence mixed with a bit of peacock feather display from Ali that did for them.

And as for the "two shit UB40s", OK, they went shit quick but the Signing Off album and Earth Dies Screaming 12" are some of this city's best ever music.

That they sold off any credibility from '83 onwards has been paid back with the two aforementioned releases seeming to have zero cachet now. Shame though.

Their first two albums are mint. Cool young Brummie mates making great music.

In that documentary Ali pretty much writes their first two albums off and states they only really learnt to tune, play and get their sound by the 3rd?!?

What seemed to happen was they were travelling the world , living and spending money like they were the Rolling Stones but in reality they were the worlds biggest covers band making £0.00 in royalty's due to not writing anything.
10:00, Fri 12 Oct
Blue are ya?
Hawaii Blue

They couldn't call themselves the M&B Five once they got a deal because the BBC would have seen their name as advertising. So they kept the initials.
10:14, Fri 12 Oct
Shaun of Brum (in London)
Their first two albums are mint. Cool young Brummie mates making great music.

In that documentary Ali pretty much writes their first two albums off and states they only really learnt to tune, play and get their sound by the 3rd?!?

What seemed to happen was they were travelling the world , living and spending money like they were the Rolling Stones but in reality they were the worlds biggest covers band making £0.00 in royalty's due to not writing anything.

I pretty much agree with all of that.

The first two albums were effing good, and the fact that Ali dismissed them the way he did just shows how little he understood about why they were so good.

The fact that he thinks they were better once they had become more polished at doing other peoples' songs just shows how they became so shit so quickly.

The documentary - I thought - showed them all to be a bunch of idiots. The one I actually feel sorry for is Duncan. I've seen them with Duncan singing, and he's a truly terrible singer - but it's not his fault, I don't think he's a bad guy and I think he is genuinely hurt that he has become s stick for the two factions to beat each other with.

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say I do have a feeling that they will all get back together at some point and do a massive world tour. I think through their fog of stupidness it will occur to them that that is the way they will all make a feckload of money and get out of the holes they have dug themselves into.
DES
11:34, Fri 12 Oct
Blue are ya?
Hawaii Blue

Moody Blues, always thought their music was so self indulgent and pretentious!
Everything Brum isnt,

Jeff Lynn is actually one of greatest living wordsmiths, not only proper working class Shard End Brummie (words of when I was a boy!! speak for all of us luckyenough to have been born in that era)
but also creative genius, chosen to do the digital re mixes of Beatles Hits WOW!! no higher praise!

KRO