21:36, Thu 11 Oct
Losing to feckin' ISRAEL !

Whetever happened to Scottish football? When I was a kid they had some very good players. I suppose the last truly class player they had was Dalglish, maybe Souness.
21:41, Thu 11 Oct
things change.
21:50, Thu 11 Oct
Its the useless manager!

KRO
22:37, Thu 11 Oct
Back in the day Hampden especially was a difficult place to get a result. Never felt confident of England beating the jocks. Scotland are shocking these days.
22:41, Thu 11 Oct
Archie Gemmill's goal was decent, thats about it .

SOTV
06:24, Fri 12 Oct
They have never been that good but, have got considerably worse.

Up there are lot if blame is pointed at Bigot Brothers investing large sums on second rate foreigners over the last 20 years.
What did the Knights in White satin?
Strachan was a very good footballer and so was McCallister. To be fair John Collins was decent too.
My old man is from Glasgow so I was brought up with tales of Scottish football. Celtic won the European cup with a fully Scottish team born within a 20 mile radius of each other. When I was a kid they had dalgleish, souness, hansen, eddie gray, Billy bremner, John wark, joe jordan, Archie Gemmell, strachan etc. Top players playing for top teams.They’ve just got steadily worse as the years have gone by, I think Walsall would turn em over these days.
DES
07:44, Fri 12 Oct
Roger,
No one can ever match celtics achievements winning with all home grown players including our own legend Bertie Auld.
Those players you mentioned were true greats, God knows why jocks have fallen so low, especially as wales and N.I DID SO WELL AT LAST EUROS!
I’m baffled!

Kro
07:46, Fri 12 Oct
I.P.F
Whetever happened to Scottish football?

Two words: The Premiership.

Since 1992 the proportion of Scottish footballers in the English top flight has dramatically reduced in place of the increased number fo foreigners. I have absolutley no evidence to back this up however.

Think a big factor is what kids spend their spare time doing these days too, instead of playing in the street their playing on the console etc.

Or is it down to a lack of grass roots development from the SFA and schools?

It is true though that the standard of Scottish league football is woeful now. I think this is because it has deteriorated and the English leagues have have now improved a lot. Look how many players we have had in recent years who have not been good enough but have gone north a got first team football in the SPL. Rangers and Celtic might survive in the Premier League (especially once the TV money kicks in) but I suspect the rest would struggle in the champiosnhip, for most of the SPL League one is their level.
DES
Roger,
No one can ever match celtics achievements winning with all home grown players including our own legend Bertie Auld.
Those players you mentioned were true greats, God knows why jocks have fallen so low, especially as wales and N.I DID SO WELL AT LAST EUROS!
I’m baffled!

Kro

Was a different time Des, a lot of clubs had local players back then. It was a great achievement but the 20 mile thing doesn't really impress me much.
Celtic and Rangers did far more harm than the Premier League ever did. The monopolies and restricted TV deals they did destroyed competition and development.

The English league has no responsibility to play players from Scotland.
Not saying the english clubs do have a responsibility to play scottish players. Just making a case for why scottish football has deteriorated.

Fair point about the duopoly and tv deal - I guess that’s stopped Spain being competitive internationally too.
Slightly Turbid
Not saying the english clubs do have a responsibility to play scottish players. Just making a case for why scottish football has deteriorated.

Fair point about the duopoly and tv deal - I guess that’s stopped Spain being competitive internationally too.

Take a look how many teams have won the Spanish League and how many have done pretty well in Europe since 1992.
09:14, Fri 12 Oct
A small population with far too many alternative distractions over the years meaning the kids don't need or utilize football as a means to escape poverty.

Let's not kid ourselves that England is any different just we have a bit further to fall.
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
Slightly Turbid

Take a look how many teams have won the Spanish League and how many have done pretty well in Europe since 1992.

What’s your point caller?
11:03, Fri 12 Oct
The Scots have started to put money and organisation into their youth football like England have. Their youth teams have started to make some progress. Remains to be seen whether that will convert but they’re in a better place than they have been for a while. A lot of their problem last night was down to McLeish.
The Right Reverend Charcy Blue Blue
DES
Roger,
I’m baffled!

Kro

Was a different time Des, a lot of clubs had local players back then. It was a great achievement but the 20 mile thing doesn't really impress me much.

It Doesnt impress you much?
Its absolutely staggering! I think only Bobby Lennox and possibly the right back Craig were born outside Glasgow which remember is half the size of Brum!

KRO
11:14, Fri 12 Oct
B13blues
Back in the day Hampden especially was a difficult place to get a result. N.

I used to be mates with Chris Nicholl (I know, I know). He once told me that when he was captaining Northern ireland at Hampden, before kick off he'd be in the centre circle shaking hands with Archie Gemmill, the 80,000 nutters would be singing hymns - Catholic one end, Protestant the other, and you could smell the whisky on the breath of the crowd from fifty yards away. He reckoned 'intimidating' got nowhere near...
Yes but at the time there were not many teams buying galacticos from across the world. Generally teams were made up of players from their own country. Glasgow is the biggest city in that country. Plus football was crap then. We got to two European Finals whilst finishing 19th both seasons.

It's impressive they won the cup I'm meh about where the players were from. I'd be impressed now but not then. Bilbao got beaten on away goals in the uefa Cup final in the mid 70s with just a team of Basque, I'm probably more impressed with that.