07:52, Thu 10 Jan
Tangentially, Mourinho moaned to Conte about Chelsea beating Man U 4-0 showing a lack of respect. Now THAT was classless.
07:57, Thu 10 Jan
I have a sneaky feeling that Pep might be eyeing a clean sweep this season

Hopefully #anyonebutliverpool
08:11, Thu 10 Jan
Of course there’s always been a gulf in class and crushing defeats have happened. I know you like to cast any criticism of the current game as some silly nostalgia for the past, but it doesn’t change the fact that in the premier league (and throughout Europe) the game is increasingly lop sided and dominated by elite clubs funded by (often) fairly questionable means. This isn’t a comment on the standard of play.

In the meantime the clubs lower down the system are increasingly financially challenged and the game at the grass roots is actually diminishing (there was also an item on the news here last night that one local authority is seriously considering offering football and other pitches for rent as it can’t afford to maintain them).

Sport has to be competitive. In the US in American football they force this through player allocation systems, and as you know in Rugby they try to enforce this through salary caps and international representation restrictions.
08:19, Thu 10 Jan
its people mis remembering things that really gets my goat. Making things up that never did happen and such, things like all lower league clubs flourished in the past and never went bust and always beat the big teams as football never had inequalities in the past. Thats all like.
08:31, Thu 10 Jan
newblue
Of course there’s always been a gulf in class and crushing defeats have happened. I know you like to cast any criticism of the current game as some silly nostalgia for the past, but it doesn’t change the fact that in the premier league (and throughout Europe) the game is increasingly lop sided and dominated by elite clubs funded by (often) fairly questionable means. This isn’t a comment on the standard of play.

In the meantime the clubs lower down the system are increasingly financially challenged and the game at the grass roots is actually diminishing (there was also an item on the news here last night that one local authority is seriously considering offering football and other pitches for rent as it can’t afford to maintain them).

Sport has to be competitive. In the US in American football they force this through player allocation systems, and as you know in Rugby they try to enforce this through salary caps and international representation restrictions.

In my opinion this is rooted in the expansion and re-formatting of the European Cup to the Champions League, I also hold this responsible for the slow death of the FA Cup.
08:39, Thu 10 Jan
Even into the 1980s, teams like Southampton, West Ham, QPR, Wednesday, Norwich, Derby, Southampton, Watford, could finish in the top four of the League.

This decade, the only teams who have done so are:

Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
Leicester
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Newcastle
Spurs

And Newcastle, Everton and Leicester did it once.

So, out of 50 places (we know who will do it this season), the same six clubs have taken 47 of them.

The other 86 clubs are all aiming for one place in the top five every three years.
08:46, Thu 10 Jan
I have no problem with Man City beating Burton 9-0. They should all play to the best of their ability.

My niggle is with Foden not starting.

They've just lost Diaz to Spain because he wasn't getting any game time.

Everyone is saying that Foden could be a great player, yet he doesn't get on until the 57th minute when they are already 5-0 up.

I bet Sancho & Diaz were watching it & patting themselves on the back for leaving.
08:59, Thu 10 Jan
Worth a quid on Burton to go through ..settle you for life :D haha
09:14, Thu 10 Jan
bluearmyfaction
Even into the 1980s, teams like Southampton, West Ham, QPR, Wednesday, Norwich, Derby, Southampton, Watford, could finish in the top four of the League.

This decade, the only teams who have done so are:

Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
Leicester
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Newcastle
Spurs

And Newcastle, Everton and Leicester did it once.

So, out of 50 places (we know who will do it this season), the same six clubs have taken 47 of them.

The other 86 clubs are all aiming for one place in the top five every three years.
enjoy it. One of those clubs is usually vile. That’s a fact
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
09:36, Thu 10 Jan
👍 people do say daft things too, I agree. For example, despite what I said it’s undoubted that the quality of play is higher than it’s ever been (though that doesn’t necessarily make it more enjoyable as a spectacle overall).
09:47, Thu 10 Jan
Absolutely, Foden will always get overlooked there. If he wants to mature into a real world class player he needs to get out to somewhere he actually gets to play regular first team football at a world class level. Doesn’t have to be the EPL, as Sancho has proven.

With regards to Burton, Manchester City did exactly the right thing playing the team they did with the intensity they did. It’s a cup semi final for god sake; imagine Guardiola plays the 4th string, they get stage fright and lose? There’d have been uproar. Risking that because “it’s just a League One club” would have been infinitely more disrespectful to Burton, as would giving up and pissing about for 45 minutes at 4-0.

Burton made it to the semi finals of a cup competition against the champions of England. They got to play the champions of England at (almost) full strength. That was a show of respect in itself.
December 7 2018, about vile:
TrevorFr​ancisTrackSuits
I'd be surprised if they lose another game this season
09:55, Thu 10 Jan
Yet Sterling plays. This thread is so snowflakey. Guardiola will play players he thinks good enough. English or not
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
10:10, Thu 10 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Yet Sterling plays. This thread is so snowflakey. Guardiola will play players he thinks good enough. English or not

Reminds me of uncompetitive school sports day
10:10, Thu 10 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt

Agree. Though Sterling is 24, whilst Foden is still only 18. Foden will get a chance at Man City (already has) and will continue to. Pep obviously rates him and I reckon he has plans to develop him into a first team player over time.
10:21, Thu 10 Jan
He’ll replace Silva, who is 33 and will go back to Spain within 2 years.
@LeMod1875
10:49, Thu 10 Jan
Just to bring the thread back down to earth a bit, when I was 14 Burton were in the same division as Tamworth. So they've done really, really well to get where they are today.

Getting a kicking at the hands of one of the most expensive teams in the world isn't classless or belittling, but a sign of just how far Burton have gone, and how far they and other teams have still got to go to get to where the likes of Man City are.

As the countless vidoes of other teams getting a hammering show, football is a game of ups and downs. One match you're the fly and the next match you're the windscreen. Cest le football.
"Gary Rowett - the piers morgan of SHA" - johnnyspex
11:16, Thu 10 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt

The point is not about whether he will play English players or not. Of course he will; why wouldn't he?

It's whether he will bring the young players through quick enough.

Guards was clearly annoyed at Diaz leaving, yet missed the opportunity to give Foden a full game.

If I was Foden, I'd be asking to go out on loan (or for a transfer).

That is all.
11:16, Thu 10 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt

Fair point, although Sterling was already fairly proven at Premier League level with Liverpool. My concern with Foden is less about Guardiola “not playing English players” because that’s demonstrably not true; it’s more about Guardiola being reluctant to play Foden from the start because of his age, whereas there’s more probability he’d get those starts elsewhere because he hasn’t got the likes of D Silva, B Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho to compete with.

Send the lad on loan for a season until D Silva retires and if he’s proven to be consistently good at that level then their replacement is ready made.
December 7 2018, about vile:
TrevorFr​ancisTrackSuits
I'd be surprised if they lose another game this season
11:18, Thu 10 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt

Can you explain how this thread is 'snowflakey'?

Have you got a new definition of it?
11:20, Thu 10 Jan
He’ll replace Silva, who is 33 and will go back to Spain within 2 years.

This. There is no way Pep is playing Foden just to keep him interested, its to develop and use him. Players tend to come through a bit later in Spain, I reckon he's looking at Foden hitting his peak years in that centre midfield.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.