11:45, Fri 11 Jan
Never thought i would see a British player win wimbledon in my lifetime, that's how bad British tennis had got.

My first match at Wimbledon on centre court was Buster Mottram v John McEnroe think it lasted over 3 hours and think it went into 5 sets.

Murray is up there, probably not the best, but close enough imho
11:46, Fri 11 Jan
He can fexk off and take Billy Connolly with him.
H Bomb on DES "I'm actually ashamed to support the same club as you"
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
But the two best British athletes (let alone sports people more broadly) of all time by any measure are Farah and Radcliffe.
Well, it's not by any measure, is it? If your measure is "Olympic titles" then Wyndham Halswelle is better than Paula Radcliffe.

The relevant thing is Britain has come up with a disproportionate number of genuinely world class stars in a wide variety of sports. Probably more than any other country. In the past few years the UK has provided winners of Wimbledon, the F1 world title, world heavyweight boxing champion, Tour de France, sometimes simultaneously. The only countries that have ever done that in their entire history have been the US and Germany - and even then Schmeling won the title on a foul and Ulrich was almost certainly doping.
11:59, Fri 11 Jan
Great sportsman and decent bloke, never moved to Monte Carlo to avoid taxes etc and has done a lot for charity. I couldn't stand him when he first came on the scene but warmed to him over the last few years. He will be missed but we have Edmond and now Norrie ready to take his place.
12:05, Fri 11 Jan
The sweaty sock absolutely hates England
12:16, Fri 11 Jan
A_n_E
Holdswor​th_MaraSonner
I completely disagree about Daley Thompson. He was amazing but in a very, very, very niche event.

he could have been a success in many of his disciplines. his 100m time in the decathlon at LA84 would have got him 4th in the 100m final. whilst i agree murray has been brilliant, for me he's nowhere near the best british athlete ever.

I don't know why you've changed this from best sportsman to best athlete.

They aren't the same thing at all.

I didn't mean that I disallow the others because there isn't someone else trying to stop them applying their skills (Wiggins or Faldo for example), but I factor it in when I come to judging just how great someone was.

I factor in other things too....background, personality, mental toughness, etc., etc.

For me at least, across it all, no-one can really top Murray.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
12:52, Fri 11 Jan
IanT
I factor in other things too....background, personality, mental toughness, etc., etc.

On those 3 things once again Thompson tops murray hands down.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
12:54, Fri 11 Jan
So does Gary Anderson
12:54, Fri 11 Jan
Daley was funny, charismatic but I've read in the past was a little bit of an arsehole as well.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
12:55, Fri 11 Jan
thats not a fact though?

did he see his classmates shot to death by a gunman?
i think Daley is a bit of a dick (edit) but others won't
probably both incredibly mentally strong.

these arguments are interesting but very subjective and there will never be an outright winner
Muzza is probably up there in my top 5 all time favourite sportsmen tbf

an absolute player

genuinely quite gutted that his time is coming to an end, could have won more
13:21, Fri 11 Jan
A_n_E
IanT

On those 3 things once again Thompson tops murray hands down.

Erm.

No.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
A_n_E
IanT
There's no bigger fan than Ian Botham than me, but yeah.

i believe oldham is quite a big botham fan too, he's seen his penis as well.

IanT
Considering what he witnessed as a kid, the era in which he peaked, and his great personality including his emotional side, I'd say so.

look at the era botham was in, richards et al.

coe's records stood for years.

faldo's era was just as strong with the likes of seve yet he was the best golfer in the world for about 5 years.

but daley thompson is the UK's best of the best. FACT.

I completely disagree about Daley Thompson. He was amazing but in a very, very, very niche event.

Running, jumping and throwing is hardly niche, its pretty much as generic as it gets.
Revere me.
14:46, Fri 11 Jan
A_n_E
ok so a squash player is better than the likes of wiggins etc?

also cricket is nothing like one on one. you have bowling changes, other batsmen, fielders.

cricket is very much 1 on 1, team game played with individual contests