11:22, Sun 10 Feb
El Mayor
Say our owners were allowed to go crazy spending, rack up huge amounts of wages and then walked away. Whose fault would it be then that the club would be plunged into admin with all that entailed?

We are being protected from the absolute worst, IMO. The rules aren't great, but there is a reason they are there.

I might be wrong (have these rules changed?) but we would get a 12 point deduction..Start again, Leeds, Leicester,Palace, Southampton etc etc....

Is that worse than the protection we are likely to receive that may eventually push us into administration anyway!

We broke the rules, we all get that but we are being punished like someone getting 10yrs for stealing bread when they are starving. Instead of nodding sagely and agreeing with the EFL our fans should be belligerent and oppose any punishment to drive and drive it down.

After all no one else is going to stand up for us.
11:24, Sun 10 Feb
Just in case people aren't aware .... the Sawiris family are worth about £38 billion ... but £28 billion of that is in cash !!!

... and to put that into perspective

Roman Abramovich is worth £8 billion
Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour is worth £20 billion

.... and neither of them has more than £1 billion in cash
11:25, Sun 10 Feb
Rags
Yes, exactly this - and not just Blues. It's created a situation where most Championship clubs are over-spending to try and compete with clubs like Villa.

Believe me ... Villa haven't spent tuppence of what they could spend under their new owners !! They are SO cash rich they cold outspend virtually anyone in the UK including Premiership teams if the rules allowed it

Just because someone is rich does not mean they wish to spend it.
11:29, Sun 10 Feb
They aren’t 100% owned by the Sawiris though are they? Recon still have a large stake so SBTB is still somewhere in the background.

I can’t see them sticking around for too long if they don’t get promoted, you don’t get that insanely rich by pumping millions in to a business with no return.
11:30, Sun 10 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
So other teams parachute payments are to blame for us spending shitloads?

Ok

What do you think is a fair punishment Rab?
11:39, Sun 10 Feb
They aren’t 100% owned by the Sawiris though are they? Recon still have a large stake so SBTB is still somewhere in the background.

I can’t see them sticking around for too long if they don’t get promoted, you don’t get that insanely rich by pumping millions in to a business with no return.

"They aren’t 100% owned by the Sawiris though are they? " ... true ... their co-investor is Wes Edens who is only worth about £3.75 billion
11:40, Sun 10 Feb
El Mayor
I agree Rab,

And if things were to go pear shaped, how many people would demand the EFL do more to protect the club?

This is the best point in this thread. If we were allowed to spend more than the ridiculous amount we have spent and then the powers that be think feck this and stop the cash flow people on here would be chastising the EFL for allowing it to happen.

I remember it happened to B6 in the summer, when they were going to pot all their fans were moaning saying how could the EFL allow it to happen. Then as soon as the new owners come in those same people want to spend spend spend.
11:41, Sun 10 Feb
This may have been mentioned already but as I understand it the EFL have "recommended" a 12 point punishment which the panel will consider. Is this perhaps to be considered as their "opening bid" assuming that the panel will "negotiate" it down.

If that makes sense.

The panel may agree with the recommended punishment or they may say: 6pts and 6 suspended.

Or something. I don't fecking know do I?
11:42, Sun 10 Feb
Rags

"They aren’t 100% owned by the Sawiris though are they? " ... true ... their co-investor is Wes Evans who is only worth about £3.75 billion

Yeah but Evans/Sawiri only own 55% of it, Recon have 45%.

I don’t know if this is significant, but if they wanted to pump a ton of money in to the club why wouldn’t they buy 100% if it?
11:51, Sun 10 Feb
1 Banana
So there are no rules regarding punishment and the panel of 3 legal representatives, one being a legal representative of Blues will thrash out a deal for any punishment if so be it.
That's not how it works. It is standard for a three man arbitration for each party to recommend one person as an arbitrator, and there to be a neutral third. Who is sometimes appointed by the two other arbitrators, sometimes via a neutral party (such as the organization setting up the arbitration, like the CAS or the International Court of Arbitration (the ICC, it's a French acronym)).

So "our" arbitrator is not our legal representative - but also a neutral independent party who is there because each party wants to see transparency.

Although transparency with the EFL is utter bollocks. Who the feck actually OWNS us?
11:52, Sun 10 Feb
Rags

"They aren’t 100% owned by the Sawiris though are they? " ... true ... their co-investor is Wes Evans who is only worth about £3.75 billion

I don’t know if this is significant, but if they wanted to pump a ton of money in to the club why wouldn’t they buy 100% if it?

'cos Tony Xia would have then had to pay back the magic money tree man .... and he hasn't got the cash to pay him back ... but with the money he got from The Sawiris and Edens he can keep paying back the repayments

Don't get me wrong .. no-one is suggesting they are going to invest all their cash (FFS .. they could buy Barcelona's first team if they wanted with just their spare change) - but they could certainly outspend any team in the UK without blinking

£36 billion is

£36,000,000,0000

we are in major trouble because of

£39,000,000 ...... ie a measly ONE THOUSANDTH of what they have
12:01, Sun 10 Feb
Nobody would be complaining if blues had just been relegated and had just spent massive on players to go straight back up.

Besides how many clubs recently have come down, spent wisely and gone straight back up? Last I can remember is Newcastle.

I understand why people get frustrated, but you can’t agree to rules, break said rules and then moan that you’re getting punished surely?

We didn't just agree to abide by them ... we were one of the clubs who voted for them to be applied

Are these rules we agreed to the same as most in football, if you don't like them find yourselves another league to play in?
Sorry to ask if it’s already covered...

If we get done for 12 points surely there is a whole list of clubs in the firing line...

I’m guessing that’s current champs clubs and possibly league one promotion hopefuls for next season

Have I got this wrong? Could there be a list of teams next year starting on minus points?

It just seems that lots of teams are the same or worse than us yet I only ever hear of Blues in trouble

I find it really odd like we are getting slightly stitched.

Maybe I’m wrong

It’s all so confusing

Part of me thinks they will deliberately give us enough points deduction to make sure we just fail the play offs ...

I am convinced if we were 12 points above relegation and 12 points off the playoffs nothing would happen

As we look safe from going down they can twist the knkife by making sure we don’t have a hope of going up

Hate them
12:17, Sun 10 Feb
Tarquin
Rab C Nesbitt

Ok

Not being privy to what has been discussed between Blues and the EFL, it's hard to say. I'm willing to accept what us handed out though, as long as the rules are enforced for other clubs breaking the same rules.
Blaming parachute payments is ridiculous though
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
12:19, Sun 10 Feb
Incoming but not enough to relegate us.

#fecktheefl
F'ckin tinpot fifa, utterly corrupt chunts.
They run one set of rules for the rich and popular clubs, and one set for the rest of us.
Regards, Mick
12:20, Sun 10 Feb
It’s not a question of how much some owners have got to spend, but what you are allowed to spend in this league, isn’t it? The rules look quaint when you see how it works in the premier league.

It’s why most football fans bemoan the ridiculous way money is spent in the game but would actually love to see their team buying players for tens of millions. If it’s successful the same fans will love you, no matter how you accumulated that wealth - whether through being pally with despotic regimes (say Leicester, Chelsea) or being actually despots yourself (Man City). You might even find a way to be ‘forever in the hearts’ of fans.
12:21, Sun 10 Feb
montypenguin
Yes I agree totally.

My point though (putting to one side for a moment Blues pending points deduction), if we're going to tackle the problem of clubs spending beyond their means then the parachute payment system has to be looked at it, particularly in relation to FFP. Nothing you can do about the riches of the Premiership, but when they drop down to the EFL (and the EFL's rules) it needs to be made more of a level playing field.
Parachute payments are needed imo, because of the wage bill needed to compete in the Premier League.
If Clubs abuse that money and overspend (vile) they should be punished under the rules, as they should be soon
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
12:47, Sun 10 Feb
Rab C Nesbitt
Tarquin
Rab C Nesbitt

Ok

Not being privy to what has been discussed between Blues and the EFL, it's hard to say. I'm willing to accept what us handed out though, as long as the rules are enforced for other clubs breaking the same rules.

Taking into account that 12 points is the sanction for administration which usually means other clubs have been taken for dough surely you agree the same punishment doesn’t equate..
12:59, Sun 10 Feb
Tarquin
Rab C Nesbitt
Tarquin
Rab C Nesbitt

Ok

Taking into account that 12 points is the sanction for administration which usually means other clubs have been taken for dough surely you agree the same punishment doesn’t equate..
It's difficult mate. The team's who got relegated because of us overspending may say they've lost dough because of it.
You need all the facts to really argue what is fair
13:07, Sun 10 Feb
Rags
Rags

'cos Tony Xia would have then had to pay back the magic money tree man .... and he hasn't got the cash to pay him back ... but with the money he got from The Sawiris and Edens he can keep paying back the repayments

Don't get me wrong .. no-one is suggesting they are going to invest all their cash (FFS .. they could buy Barcelona's first team if they wanted with just their spare change) - but they could certainly outspend any team in the UK without blinking

£36 billion is

£36,000,000,0000

we are in major trouble because of

£39,000,000 ...... ie a measly ONE THOUSANDTH of what they have

The villa and their owners wealth is of no interest to me.

We have had one of our most enjoyable seasons in years yet we ain’t been able to invest a bean appreciate the elf needed to do something to address owners using clubs as toys and then running away having caused carnage and financial meltdown but I’m fairly certain the efl haven’t found the right method for addressing it.

Fans are powerless and are gonna suffer the punishment of ownership regimes failing, this is not correct