JCL
14:05, Tue 12 Feb
Really good 6-part documentary on BBC Four at the moment, ‘The Defiant Ones’. History of Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine.

Watched the first 2 last night and some big-name interviewees, behind the scenes footage and new all access interviews with Dre and Jimmy.

Worth a watch.

[www.bbc.co.uk]
It's always easier to believe something than understand it.
14:07, Tue 12 Feb
JCL
It was on Netflix a while back. Its pretty good. Iovine does come across as a pain in the ass mind.

Also shows that Dre is a lot like Kanye - great producer, so so rapper, eyes always on the wider chance than the music alone.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
DES
14:15, Tue 12 Feb
I had never heard of rapping till sugerhill gangs rappers delight, then blondie did one as i recall, however I know it had been underground for few yrs before that.

KRO
JCL
15:09, Tue 12 Feb
number8
It was on Netflix a while back. Its pretty good. Iovine does come across as a pain in the ass mind.

Also shows that Dre is a lot like Kanye - great producer, so so rapper, eyes always on the wider chance than the music alone.

I'll have a look on Netflix to see if it's still there.
Having to wait to watch new episodes is so 2017
15:30, Tue 12 Feb
JCL
Really good 6-part documentary on BBC Four at the moment, ‘The Defiant Ones’. History of Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine.

Watched the first 2 last night and some big-name interviewees, behind the scenes footage and new all access interviews with Dre and Jimmy.

Worth a watch.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

For me Hip Hop evolution was much better.

By the end of defiant ones it felt like a beats by dre advert.
15:48, Tue 12 Feb
number8

In fairness, I think Dre has always been honest about his limited rapping skills. I'm sure he even admitted that his lyrics on the Compton album were ghost written.

Kanye on the other allegedly had his lyrics written from the start. He fell out with the alleged ghost writer, GLC, by the third album, which is also the point at which Kanye's lyrics went from meaningful to nonsense about gucci and prada and all the other shit whack rappers chat.

But then Drake also has his lyrics ghost written, which always makes me think 'wow, you paid someone to write that?'

They're all at it these days. To quote Big Boi: It's like the game is haunted 'cause there's so many ghostwriters. Andre 3000 sums it up well too: After 20 years in, I'm so naive I was under the impression that everyone wrote their own versus. It's comin' back different and, yeah, that shit hurts me, I'm hummin' and whistlin' to those not deserving, I've stumbled and lived every word. Was I working just way too hard?

Also, what is up with these grime kids "freestyling"? When I were a lad, freestyle meant coming up with lyrics on the spot. These numpties are 'spitting fire in the booth' with pre written lyrics.
15:51, Tue 12 Feb
JCL
JCL
number8

I'll have a look on Netflix to see if it's still there.
Having to wait to watch new episodes is so 2017

It is still on Netflix, clocked it couple days ago, advertised as a Netflix Original although I think it was a HBO production originally
15:52, Tue 12 Feb
I haven't got a problem if people get writers in, but be honest about it. I'm not a fan of songs where there are about 40 featured rappers but at least that is better than one guy getting it written for him in secret.

I hadn't heard that about Kanye but it fits.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
16:11, Tue 12 Feb
Fair enough on your point about pre written lyrics. The finale to 8 mile was great but if you watch the original video of Eminem freestyling in that battle rap, it's imo awful.painfully awful. Have you checked out the wretch 32 daily duppy's and Fire in the booth? They are prepared in advance but the lyrical content and flow knocks the spots off most us stuff atm.
JCL
16:31, Tue 12 Feb
This is a good video breakdown how some of the rappers come up with their lines.

Technical stuff
16:47, Tue 12 Feb
bluer than blues
Also, what is up with these grime kids "freestyling"? When I were a lad, freestyle meant coming up with lyrics on the spot. These numpties are 'spitting fire in the booth' with pre written lyrics.

actually freestyling originally did allow for books with written rhymes. "off the head" was the original making lyrics up on the spot.

99% of freestyling nowadays is actually just remembering pre-written rhymes / disses
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
16:48, Tue 12 Feb
google the video of kanye freestyling, it's hilarious, and part of the reason no-one in hip hop really respects him.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast