12:26, Wed 13 Mar
Terribly sad story here of how our former manager is now struggling in his final days with dementia. I found it astonishing to read that during his playing days they used to head medicine balls in training 😯.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]
12:58, Wed 13 Mar
Squatnose
Terribly sad story here of how our former manager is now struggling in his final days with dementia. I found it astonishing to read that during his playing days they used to head medicine balls in training 😯.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Yes very sad, remember him coming to Blues like it was yesterday. I used to watch them training at the Birmingham University sports centre, and he used to tell me not to just stand there watching but be of some use and go and fetch the balls when they got lost in the seats. Even though it meant missing a class or two, he wasn't someone you wanted to argue with in those days!
13:31, Wed 13 Mar
Yes sad story.
13:47, Wed 13 Mar
So sad.
14:46, Wed 13 Mar
That’s more about Rod Taylor than Ron Saunders. All it says about Saunders is he has dementia, managed a few clubs and scored a few goals.

Not belittling it, but it’s not really very interesting, unless Rod Taylor means something to you
14:57, Wed 13 Mar
Fat Buddha
That’s more about Rod Taylor than Ron Saunders. All it says about Saunders is he has dementia, managed a few clubs and scored a few goals.

Not belittling it, but it’s not really very interesting, unless Rod Taylor means something to you

No, the angle that captured my interest really was that this is another Jeff Astle type of story. I think Alan Shearer did a documentary a little while back about the impact on former pro players such as Chris Nichol who constantly headed footballs for a living and who are now suffering health-wise. The argument is that it was their former profession that had contributed to their poor health in later life and that they were not aware of the dangers at the time.
15:02, Wed 13 Mar
Not meaning it to be in bad taste, but after hearing Shearer's comments at the weekend, maybe he needs to get himself checked out pdq too.
15:02, Wed 13 Mar
Yep. It’s an interesting topic. I didn’t know that about the one form only being caused by head trauma, and only being diagnosed after death. Has implications for football and boxing

Saunders is doing well if he’s had it 20 years, life expectancy is usually 8 to10 years, and it’s usuall a couple of years before people get diagnosed
16:23, Wed 13 Mar
Not meaning it to be in bad taste, but after hearing Shearer's comments at the weekend, maybe he needs to get himself checked out pdq too.

Think he may have already done so, for a beeb report last year sometime.
DES
16:39, Wed 13 Mar
I loved Saunders, I was overjoyed when he came to us as I honestly thought we could reach the stars with him in charge but the old curse struck again he was close to signing Gary mabbut & chris waddle But no funding was available and think hevlost heart after that, but Ron thanks for coton harford Gayle Blake hopkins and all those other tough nuts you brought to Stans!
Kro
16:41, Wed 13 Mar
DES
Yeah, I have always maintained that had Saunders had just a bit of money to invest he could have made us a good side.

Nobody should dispute that he was a damned good manager because he was, and had the trophies to prove it.
16:48, Wed 13 Mar
Couldnt stand him, was gutted when he came to us, delighted when he effed orf.
16:49, Wed 13 Mar
I remember when he first came to Blues he said he expected to do in three years what it had taken him eight years to do at Vile - build a team capable of winning the European Cup. He'd left Vile a couple of weeks before the European Cup quarter final.

When he left Blues he said "I never realised that what this club needs is not a good manager, it needs a good accountant" I reckon nothing's changed down the Blues, to this day.
16:50, Wed 13 Mar
He wasnt too keen on his daughters choice of boyfriend
16:54, Wed 13 Mar
Fat Buddha
. .... but he left us with Ken 4rmstrong as his legacy
Southside Blue , not only keeping the blues alive but also singlehandedly saving the British Manufacturing Industry .
16:57, Wed 13 Mar
Fat Buddha

I can get that you couldn't stand him - a lot of people couldn't. Some of his players couldn't.

A lot of his players loved him though.

He was a very good manager though.
17:18, Wed 13 Mar
First thing he did was get rid of Frank Worthington and replace him with Byron Stephenson. That could be wrong but it's how it is in my memory.
He was a supporter of a 'Save Our Society' campaign during his time at Blues aimed at getting rid of trouble at football matches. A friend of mine got him to sign one of the posters as a get well message when I was in hospital, I still have it somewhere. I'd have him down as siding with David Cotterill if he was still in good health.
18:09, Wed 13 Mar

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

About 1985, when i was fit, i fancied myself as a very good squash player. Played for a regional team etc. Was at Wyndley Leisure Centre one night waiting for our court to be free (i was about 30 minutes early). Saunders put his head round changing rooms door and asked if anyone wanted a game as his partner had had enough - but he still had his court booked for another half hour.

"Sure" i said .... i thought i'd go easy on him 'cos i was 24 and he was about 54 ... and i was a good, regular player, and he was probably just playing to stay fit.

Whooped my ass he did !!!
18:11, Wed 13 Mar
He wasnt too keen on his daughters choice of boyfriend

Yeah ... had a full on fight with Howard Gayle when he found out that his daughter had started dating Gayle
18:27, Wed 13 Mar
For Britons, Ron Saunders, the ex- manager of Aston Villa and Norwich City football clubs, was the star performer: he had, he said, gone to India, become a disciple of Ching Hai and had come back a changed man. He had never seen a fashion show before, much less met a model. But what was really exciting him was the prospect of being near to his Supreme Master. When asked to MC the press conference, Ron was beside himself. "This is the biggest privilege of my life," he said. The fact that this was to be a press conference to a small cluster of photographers did not lessen his joy. He looked on enraptured as the woman who, in his words, is "on a par with Jesus" explained the rudiments of dressmaking.

from

[www.independent.co.uk]