20:22, Wed 13 Mar
Although (Mahoney & Mrabti) may offer more when we have the ball compared with the currently out of form (Jota & Maghoma) the resulting change to the shape we have been successful with makes us a lot more vulnerable.

One of the reasons we have been so successful this season is how quickly and effectively we narrow the midfield by (Jota & Maghoma) moving inside as soon as the opposition have the ball

Neither Jota or Maghoma is the most effective in the tackle, but their positioning makes us so hard to play against and counter-attack

(Mahoney & Mrabti) just don't offer us that.

Sometimes there's more to football than you see
20:24, Wed 13 Mar
Agree.
DES
20:38, Wed 13 Mar
Agree about mags, he does put in a shift bit no jota has no defensive side to his game.
Kro
20:43, Wed 13 Mar
DES
I have seen nothing from Mbrati to convince me. Waste of a signing tbh
20:44, Wed 13 Mar
That's absolutely spot on to be fair 👍
20:44, Wed 13 Mar
DES
Agree about mags, he does put in a shift bit no jota has no defensive side to his game.
Kro

You haven't read what Rags actually wrote, have you?

Or if you did, you just can't grasp the point he was making. Never mind.
20:46, Wed 13 Mar
DES
If tonight doesn't show how important an on form Jota is to this squad nothing will.
20:48, Wed 13 Mar
An I bet he's back in on Saturday
20:53, Wed 13 Mar
I’d say it’s a bit early to say. Maghoma is no good and Jota is a riddle wrappped in an enigma. Both have had millions of starts. Anyone new into the team/system should have the benefit of a run in the team, unless they are quite clearly useless
DES
21:04, Wed 13 Mar
B13blues
If tonight doesn't show how important an on form Jota is to this squad nothing will.
B13 that on form jota is rarely seen though!
Kro
21:15, Wed 13 Mar
DES
Didn't see much of him last sunday
21:16, Wed 13 Mar
Said the same at half time Mahoney and Mrabti offer nothing defensively..Mrabti looked 2 yards off the pace of the game .
21:32, Wed 13 Mar
DES
B13blues
B13 that on form jota is rarely seen though!
Kro

But we have nothing else at the moment it would seem
21:58, Wed 13 Mar
I have seen nothing from Mbrati to convince me. Waste of a signing tbh

This
....is where I feel our real issues lie. First half of the season Kief & Gary seemed to work as a great pair, but now it's as if the team are playing with two holding midfielders with Gary running out of steam; he used to make plenty of forward progressive passes and look to get into the box, but does not do this anymore. Craig offers this but we all know his legs won't last a full game and we're constantly wondering when his next rash tackle is coming to get sent off! I think the Kief & Gary partnership has just gone stale.

At this stage of the season and certainly when we are playing some of the clubs at the bottom, we simply don't require two holding midfielders. We should be playing with one holding and one attacking (with the ability to track back) in a 442. In my mind this means Gary/Kief/Davis paired with one of Mags/Mrabti/Jota/Craig. This should give us far more attacking cohesiveness and a bit more invention then what we have been seeing of late. I certainly believe we have players who are more than capable of using the ball well.

The last resort midfield pairing I want to see is Davis & Kief - for all the solidity it gives us in midfield - it offers nothing going forwards.

We probably need 10 more points to be safe from any EFL malarkey - KRO