11:48, Wed 8 May
I'd love to be able to just sit there and enjoy it as the acting and spectacle of it is very good.

Cersei has been a woman clearly with no conscience, always happy to take the easy way out of things. Be it asking Jaime to kill Bran in season 1 all the way up to blowing up the Sept of Baelor, killing hundreds of innocent people and leading to her son committing suicide.

Now I'm meant to believe that she would let Tyrion/Dany live because it would be dishonourable to kill them? Feck that.
11:48, Wed 8 May
Don't get me wrong, totally aware of the geek levels in my own posts on this! I get the point that it's fantasy/isn't real etc, but there's a reason this show/story stands apart from all the other countless sci-fi shows that have come before it. That reason is what we're complaining about - namely, for all the dragons/witches/magic, there are real, nuanced characters in there; all with their own agenda, following a complex story-line underpinned by excellent writing i.e. the books. The big moments and deaths in the earlier series were slowly built up to and made sense, as well as providing genuine shock value.

Since they surpassed the source material they are cack-handedly rushing towards the climax, destroying long-built storylines and putting special effects ahead of anything else - if the show had started out like this, you can be sure it wouldn't have been such a worldwide success. But then, what else should we expect from writers who are responsible for the likes of X-Men Origins: Wolverine!?
13:04, Wed 8 May
I said it earlier on this thread but it very much is a victim of it's own success, whilst most people who have been watching long term think it's gotten a bit shit. People at work (all of whom had started watching in the past year or so) agreed with one lad who said it keeps on getting better and better.

It's just become too popular, the majority of it's audience doesn't want slow builds and logic they drink strongbow dark fruits and think there's nothing wrong with being a Liverpool fan from Solihul.

They're always going to write for there largest audience because it's easier and makes more money. I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is now and hope that G.R.R Martin can ever be arsed to finish it properly.
JCL
14:48, Wed 8 May
Waggeh
I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is now and hope that G.R.R Martin can ever be arsed to finish it properly.

Agree, can’t take it too seriously or get too upset about it.

I am a bit concerned that it has ben so long since I read the books I’ve pretty much forgotten where they got up to and the TV show has taken over my memory of how things came to pass.

Don’t really want to read them all back again. I did find a website with a ‘cliff notes’ type review of each chapter, although that was pretty long as well!
It's always easier to believe something than understand it.
15:25, Wed 8 May
JCL
Books and show diverged long ago, Varys ended the last book killing Kevan Lannister as he wants Aegon Targaryen (Jon Snow) to sit on the iron throne.

Also has Lady Stoneheart running riot, really wish they had incorporated her in to the plot.
J
15:53, Wed 8 May
The writers are very poor and have been exposed badly. I thought last season was a bit shit as well but this one takes the pee. I'll watch the last two eps but I'm not excited.
Cheery Chappy Charcy
People who read books are mugs. If it is good enough it will be on TV.
15:53, Wed 8 May
The main thing that's bugged me about the last few episodes, is the whole deus ex machina way that Dani's army just keeps getting randomly picked off, solely to even up the final fight with Cersei.

During Dani's story, she spent a number of seasons growing accustomed to the Dothraki and learning their language and culture etc, just to have them pointlessly cavalry charge the undead and all get wiped out.

The first dragon being killed by the NK was really good, but the second one was poorly written IMO.

I enjoyed the plotting and scheming in the latest episode, felt like it was a nod to the "game of thrones" and getting back to what the purpose of the whole program is. Think I've sussed out what it is all building towards.

The Bronn cameo was ridiculous. The last episode completely ruined 8 seasons worth of his character arc IMO.
16:01, Wed 8 May
Don't get me wrong, totally aware of the geek levels in my own posts on this! I get the point that it's fantasy/isn't real etc, but there's a reason this show/story stands apart from all the other countless sci-fi shows that have come before it. That reason is what we're complaining about - namely, for all the dragons/witches/magic, there are real, nuanced characters in there; all with their own agenda, following a complex story-line underpinned by excellent writing i.e. the books. The big moments and deaths in the earlier series were slowly built up to and made sense, as well as providing genuine shock value.

Since they surpassed the source material they are cack-handedly rushing towards the climax, destroying long-built storylines and putting special effects ahead of anything else - if the show had started out like this, you can be sure it wouldn't have been such a worldwide success. But then, what else should we expect from writers who are responsible for the likes of X-Men Origins: Wolverine!?

Fair that and my lad (who is several geek levels above me 😀) has said much the same.
16:09, Wed 8 May
I think a big reason they are rushing to the end is the actors - their prices have gone up, they are getting older, they want to do films and other stuff...its not possible to keep that same level of detail and pace unless everyone is tied up for a huge number of seasons.

Real life intrudes.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
16:11, Wed 8 May
Yeah the Bronn scene was awful, basically took a big dump all over 8 years of great storytelling.
16:23, Wed 8 May
The Bronn scene was totally crap, that's true.

As was the Euron sitting in the middle of the sea in his fleet - not being spotted from the air by Daenarys despite her having a dragon's eye view. Euron is a complete comedy character and, although I haven't read the books, I do sense that his character must be getting sold short.

Everything people are saying about it being rushed to the finish is true - and I feel there is a real Jump The Shark moment coming at the end where something totally random will happen like a fleet of baby dragons nobody has mentioned turning up to save the day.

It's been a funny series really. It started off just looking like a weekly excuse for a bunch of really beautiful women to get their kit off. Then I thought the period where there was lots of "political" stuff going on was really proper good stuff...this series really has just been throwing WTF moments at it though.

Perhaps it will all come together at the end, but like I say - I have a horrible feeling it will all end with Bobby Ewing riding a baby dragon out of the shower.
16:27, Wed 8 May
That'd still be good though!
I get what people are saying and I'm really glad I haven't read the books, as a stand alone piece of TV it is brilliant, but I know what it's like to have read an epic then see it cheapened on the big screen.
It has made me decide to read them though, when the series is over, probably the right way to do it, too.
JCL
16:29, Wed 8 May
LH_4
The main thing that's bugged me about the last few episodes, is the whole deus ex machina way that Dani's army just keeps getting randomly picked off, solely to even up the final fight with Cersei.

During Dani's story, she spent a number of seasons growing accustomed to the Dothraki and learning their language and culture etc, just to have them pointlessly cavalry charge the undead and all get wiped out.

The first dragon being killed by the NK was really good, but the second one was poorly written IMO.

I enjoyed the plotting and scheming in the latest episode, felt like it was a nod to the "game of thrones" and getting back to what the purpose of the whole program is. Think I've sussed out what it is all building towards.

The Bronn cameo was ridiculous. The last episode completely ruined 8 seasons worth of his character arc IMO.

I do agree with all that, but when they were round their military map taking off the pieces to show who got wiped out, they did say only half her Dothraki army get killed. Didn’t’ look as if half of them turned around and bugged out but there you go.
It's always easier to believe something than understand it.
16:49, Wed 8 May
JCL
Think I missed that detail. It didn't look like it during the battle, just a few guys coming back and the guys with plot armour, ie Jorah surviving the initial charge.

Even if half of them survived, it was a pointless event just to have half/the majority wiped out, for the sake of balancing out the final fight. If that's what they want to do, just have them being butchered in battle. I get that it was to show the effect of the lights all going out, but it's continued into last episode with Euron, just popping up out of nowhere and killing the dragon.

I thought the Iron Fleet would steam into them whilst they were on the ropes, but they somehow got Missandei, just to show Euron and the Ironborn back at Kingslanding a couple of scenes later.

I'll always look forward to the following episode regardless of my peeves, but this season in particular seems extremely rushed.
19:44, Wed 8 May
Moneyball

Absolutely this MoneyBall !! While it was using the book material of GRR Martin ( i believe he also wrote some of the episodes) up to the end of series 5 start of 6 it was excellent . It meandered between characters , contained scenes and Easter eggs that seemed inconsequential but later became important . The character arcs were cleverly built , it jump between lands and characters , it was a programme you had to pay attention to .

Series 6 and 7 were good ( written by Hollywood screen writers ), however this series seems to be rushing to a conclusion .Forgetting about long built storylines , obviously editing others to fit in with the writing .

It all seems a bit strange as it's the biggest TV show 'ever' with all the interest it garners . Perhaps the expense of making it ( it's also the most expensive TV show ever ?) outweighs what it brings in re advertising and worldwide residuals ??? Though it is denied there does seem to be a fallout between Martin and the production company because he says he has enough material ( to be written ) for 10 -12 series .

This series is great when looked at at on it's own . However it is easily the worst in the context of the show as a whole . As I as said very rushed tying things up too quickly ! I think we are going to get an ending as disappointing as the last episode of the Sopranos for the fans .

An end that will be even more strange as it is from the imagination of two Hollywood script writers . While the books continue to be written by Martin , and story arcs of all( most probably) the characters will be different and way Martin concludes the GOT will be totally different.