13:49, Tue 14 May
Brighton obviously getting rid of Hughton despite his decent success, now Mansfield sack Flitcroft for going out on penalties in the play offs

The game gets more farcical by the day, shame it’s become the norm
13:58, Tue 14 May
had a browse of Brighton forums yesterday, majority sad to see him go but agree it was the right decision, not sure the sacking was exactly farcical.
14:06, Tue 14 May
Both decisions completely justified, though. There's no way that Mansfield team should have been anywhere near the play-offs and Flitcroft has come up short yet again.
14:13, Tue 14 May
I don't think Hughton was farcical at all. He'd taken Brighton as far as he could, it was time for someone new. Interesting to see on Reddit the Norwich fans laying into Hughton too, saying he was there too long and was poor at the end.
14:49, Tue 14 May
In his last 4 seasons in Premier League management with Brighton and Norwich he hasn’t managed to progress his teams and get very far away from the bottom 3. His style isn’t easy on the eye at Premier League level and the last 6 months have been turgid at Brighton.

He’s a good bloke but there’s little sentiment in football, as evidenced by ditching us when a more attractive proposition came about.

I’m surprised as many people are shocked by this to be honest.

As for Flitcroft, play offs were the bare minimum expectation and they should really have made the top 3.
14:54, Tue 14 May
This is a good summary of why he went:

[www.theguardian.com]

I suspect they didn't trust him in the summer transfer market, with around £50m spent on Andone, Locadia, Izquierdo, and the Iranian guy - and arguably they have all been flops, which is why a 36 year old striker plays every game. He did the same at Norwich (van Wolfswinkel?).
14:56, Tue 14 May
is he in charge of transfers' though?

Certainly other reasons to get rid, but thought transfers was Asworth
15:00, Tue 14 May
HackneyBlue
is he in charge of transfers' though?

Certainly other reasons to get rid, but thought transfers was Asworth

He's only recently joined Brighton so he can't be blamed for last summers signings
15:01, Tue 14 May
Yep but he wouldn't be in charge of transfers this summer if he was still there
15:08, Tue 14 May
£130m net spent in 3 years!!

[twitter.com]
15:36, Tue 14 May
bluepeter
£130m net spent in 3 years!!

[twitter.com]

£40m more than Klopp - who is classed as over-rated by some on here.
15:59, Tue 14 May
Chris
Both decisions completely justified, though. There's no way that Mansfield team should have been anywhere near the play-offs and Flitcroft has come up short yet again.

Yes. I saw that about Mansfield, should have clinched automatic weeks ago. They had 3 matches to do it and didn't so dropped out of the automatics on the last day.
16:01, Tue 14 May
bluepeter

[www.theguardian.com]

I suspect they didn't trust him in the summer transfer market, with around £50m spent on Andone, Locadia, Izquierdo, and the Iranian guy - and arguably they have all been flops, which is why a 36 year old striker plays every game. He did the same at Norwich (van Wolfswinkel?).

it's basically the opposite

Brighton have recruited some pretty interesting talent from around Europe and they don't trust Hughton to use it

he isn't in charge of transfers but given they have this talent (i think Jahanbakhsh is special) and they're still playing dogshit football; that's why they don't want him any more

that and the fact they are really, really bad
16:17, Tue 14 May
Yeah, I'm sure everybody knows by now that Brighton are owned by Tony Bloom and they basically are a Premier League Brentford, in that they sign players who perform well against a load of their metrics. These are naturally more attacking players and there's a thought that they are playing below par because of Hughton and his style. Bissouma was really highly-rated and was a coup, Bernardo was supposed to be a great left-back.

Of course, they might all be a bit shit - but they'll have the chance to prove it under the new manager.
16:19, Tue 14 May
Bagel
bluepeter

[www.theguardian.com]

it's basically the opposite

Brighton have recruited some pretty interesting talent from around Europe and they don't trust Hughton to use it

he isn't in charge of transfers but given they have this talent (i think Jahanbakhsh is special) and they're still playing dogshit football; that's why they don't want him any more

that and the fact they are really, really bad

I imagine anyone coming in will want to build their own team and will ask the question - how much have I go to spend? There's more chance of the new guy being trusted with a war chest than Hughton would have been. What happens with the previous signings is an interesting one - does the new guy suddenly turn them into world beaters, or does he get rid as soon as he can as he doesn't rate them and they are not his players?