18:17, Wed 15 May
That's a good article Dan.
Why dont the fans put in a collective bid to buy St Andrews or a controlling part of it (51%)?
Here's how I see it.
Blues Trust is a Community Benefit Society (a sort of co-operative).
It can legally issue community shares in itself to raise capital from fans and high wealth individuals.
It could try to raise capital to purchase the ground or a large controlling share in it.
The funds raised could help the Club towards its Profitability and Sustainability problems.
The ground (or a share in it) would stay in the ownership of the Trust, run by fans.
The ground could be leased back to the Club on a long lease at a minimal rent on a sort of tenant repairing lease.
If, God forbid, the club ever folded or went into administration, the ground (or part) would still be owned by the fans through the Trust.
Sounds good to me!
18:41, Wed 15 May
Derby County escaped sanction under the EFL Profit and Sustainability Rules by selling their stadium to another company owned by their owner Mel Morris. The sale and subsequent long term lease back ensured that the Rams made a profit last season and did not fall foul of the rules in the same way Blu

[almajir.net]

Mel Morris is a Derby fan and it's a known fact that

1.. he has more money than he needs (thanks to Candy Crush mainly)
2.. he is unlikely to dob Derby in it
3.. the combination of 1 & 2 mean that him owning (trough a third company) Pride Park is unlikely to rebound on the fans

... our situation is somewhat different

What happens when he doesn’t control the third company?
@Bluewurst1875
18:54, Wed 15 May
Jim
Jim
I acknowledge that selling the ground is a one-off unrepeateable 'solution'

I've seen this before, but what's there to stop Mr King from selling the ground to himself for £50m, whacking the revenue on the books and then selling the ground back to BCFC PLC for £1 (and repeating ad nauseum in the future, if necessary)?
Dictated but not read.

Louie Donowa
18:55, Wed 15 May
Louie Donowa
Jim
I acknowledge that selling the ground is a one-off unrepeateable 'solution'

I've seen this before, but what's there to stop Mr King from selling the ground to himself for £50m, whacking the revenue on the books and then selling the ground back to BCFC PLC for £1 (and repeating ad nauseum in the future, if necessary)?

Because that’s money laundering.
19:14, Wed 15 May
With commercial property, a valuer usually determines what the market rent would be then applies a yield to give an overall value. So, hypothetically if the market rent was £2m per annum and the yield was 10% the value would be £20m. Not sure how easy it is to work out market rent on a football ground when it’s difficult to find comparables or to decide what yield should be applied. The lower the yield the higher the valuation with low yields reflecting a better business. Would have thought we would not be classed as low though the ground must be worth considerably more than £7m if that’s what’s in the accounts.

In the event that the club ever failed - or relocated - I guess there would be substantial value attached to the site which would presumably be used for residential purposes (once planning obtained) though not sure ‘hope’ value could reasonably be reflected in a valuation or meet the requirements of the EFL.
19:40, Wed 15 May
It’s great this ffp or p&s lark it seems to get clubs like blues more in the shite than help us all clubs seem to do is find a way around the rules and get us more in the shite...joke club

You're in the play off Final - works for you.
20:13, Wed 15 May
Laundering shmaundering.
Dictated but not read.

Louie Donowa
20:45, Wed 15 May
The trouble is it does fall foul of the P&S rules. It counts as a preference and only £8m of it counts for them. £1.1m on an £80m property is not a commercial rent.

The EFL are too stupid or bent to understand their own rules though.
23:17, Wed 15 May
bluebeard
It could try to raise capital to purchase the ground or a large controlling share in it.

Good idea...

How much do we need?... £30m? £40m?

Say £30m.

30,000 fans willing to take part ? (very optimistic).

Everyone... man, woman and child - ready to part with £1000 each to have a share in St Andrews?.
06:32, Thu 16 May
Surely Derby have set a precedent that the League is happy with? If a fecking warehouse on the outskirts of a sheep market is worth £80m, an inner city ground must be worth £400 million.
We should do it. It is a complete no brainer, to quote Gardner.
Jim
10:45, Thu 16 May
bluebeard

Good idea...

Say £30m.

Everyone... man, woman and child - ready to part with £1000 each to have a share in St Andrews?.

PM me your bank details please.
12:14, Thu 16 May
B_C_F_C
bluebeard

Good idea...

Say £30m.

How many of our fans do you think can afford to shell out a grand on having a stake in a football ground?
12:15, Thu 16 May
I think that was his point...
Old MacDonald had a farm. EU, EU... Oh.
14:33, Thu 16 May
Oxford United is a lesson to be learned. The previous owner, Firoz Kassam, sold the old Manor Ground for development and pocketed a tidy sum. He then builds a new stadium named after himself. The feckin thing only has 3 sides. He then sell the club but retains ownership of the stadium and charges the club an arm and a leg to rent it.