10:27, Wed 15 May
DG
DG
Cost less Depreciation = Net Book Value.

Proceeds from Sale less NBV = Profit on Disposal.

Yeah I got that bit. I looked through the accounts properly and I saw the cost was 11mil but with deprecation the NBV was around £7.29mil

What I don't understand is how an independent valuer can value a ground at such an inflated cost - I've heard rumours of £20mi, £30mil or even £50mil for our ground which do not sound realistic.
10:44, Wed 15 May
Would I be right in saying, its not real, spending money. It will only make the accounts look tidier and keep us away from sanctions like points deductions and transfer window bans.

To my way of thinking, better control of finances is the only way to go.

When Portsmouth got into the sh1t financially, the ground was owned by a previous owner, the car parks were owned by someone else.
That kind of mess is not worth the risk.
10:46, Wed 15 May
Is the question "how much would it cost to build a new stadium" and maybe develop the outside areas? I would assume that's how Derby's got valued at £80m.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
10:47, Wed 15 May
number8
Is the question "how much would it cost to build a new stadium" and maybe develop the outside areas? I would assume that's how Derby's got valued at £80m.

It might be, I genuinely don't know.
10:47, Wed 15 May
Oldun
Would I be right in saying, its not real, spending money. It will only make the accounts look tidier and keep us away from sanctions like points deductions and transfer window bans.

To my way of thinking, better control of finances is the only way to go.

When Portsmouth got into the sh1t financially, the ground was owned by a previous owner, the car parks were owned by someone else.
That kind of mess is not worth the risk.

I think it will allow the owners to pump more money into the club than currently allowed, so it would be actual money - but like you say, it causes a mess.
10:53, Wed 15 May
I'd rather have another embargo than sell the ground to our owners
10:53, Wed 15 May
Dave1991
Why the huge difference between the book value and market value?

Derby and Blues both have similar-ish sized grounds, so I'd imagine their book value wasnt that different from ours.

Unless I'm missing something, which is probably the case

I don't know, I'm not an accountant. Derby made a profit of about £40mil on their ground as I understand it.

There's the biggest piss take -right there - who valued Derby's ground? if it wasn't the owners daughter then it must have been Beppo & Charlie Corroli Estate Agents. Pride Park may be a newish stadium, but it's all about the land, isn't it?
So Pride Park, on a shitty business park miles from anywhere = 80 million smackeroonies.
Stans, prime building land not far from the centre of the UK's second city, in a vibrant part of it too - 7 million.
Nope, all looks kosher to me.
11:01, Wed 15 May
Bluesince62
Dave1991

Derby and Blues both have similar-ish sized grounds, so I'd imagine their book value wasnt that different from ours.

I don't know, I'm not an accountant. Derby made a profit of about £40mil on their ground as I understand it.

There's the biggest piss take -right there - who valued Derby's ground? if it wasn't the owners daughter then it must have been Beppo & Charlie Corroli Estate Agents. Pride Park may be a newish stadium, but it's all about the land, isn't it?
So Pride Park, on a shitty business park miles from anywhere = 80 million smackeroonies.
Stans, prime building land not far from the centre of the UK's second city, in a vibrant part of it too - 7 million.

Except £7.29mil is the book value not the value from an independent valuer. The difference between the two is where Blues would make the profit.
11:06, Wed 15 May
DG
There's got to be other things we can do first before resorting to selling the ground. Other teams have been creative with their books and gotten round it, why can't we?
11:16, Wed 15 May
DG
The land Stans is built on will only ever increase in value, as will all properties. I'm not convinced there'd be any depreciation.

It's all very shady indeed.

Good piece Mayor, appreciated as always
11:25, Wed 15 May
As property gets older it's value depreciates St Andrews being ripped down and the land being used for housing will probably be worth more than the stadium- so that is the ultimate reason st Andrews needs to stay An asset of the club
11:25, Wed 15 May
The only benefit from this is we'd be less desperate to sell our best players to balance the books.

But, players come and go, they can be replaced. Selling your home with "a view to buying it back later" would take some serious litigation and if things get messy could take years to resolve.

Important to remember we don't own the training ground either, we lease it from Birmingham Uni, so St. Andrews is pretty much the club's only significant asset.
Used to be Man Lyk Groundsy, changed my name as a mark of respect our neighbours (Coventry City).
11:37, Wed 15 May
Can't we just pretend our youth set up cost 17 million pounds over 2 years and sell a car park that will never be developed upon?

Don't ask me where that idea came from, just popped in my head.
While I'm at it, Garry should get the players to start diving at the slightest contact and harass the ref all the time.
That was liquid football!
11:37, Wed 15 May
Bluesince62
Dave1991

Except £7.29mil is the book value not the value from an independent valuer. The difference between the two is where Blues would make the profit.

Fair enough, but how has Derby had it's ground valued so highly? and the (rubbish) point I was trying to make is if PP is in a location that means it can be valued at 80 mill - what would Stans be valued at?
11:39, Wed 15 May
Dougie Bell
Can't we just pretend our youth set up cost 17 million pounds over 2 years and sell a car park that will never be developed upon?

Don't ask me where that idea came from, just popped in my head.
While I'm at it, Garry should get the players to start diving at the slightest contact and harass the ref all the time.

I see we're up from 11 mil to 17mil now.

Their youth setup is a Cat One setup while ours is Cat Two... and it's not that unfairly valued imo. Sorry, no conspiracy there.