14:05, Wed 15 May
5th v 6th (5th at home), winner plays 4th (4th at home), winner plays 3rd at Wembley.

Makes it fairer, no?
14:07, Wed 15 May
Yeah like the look of that, good idea.
14:09, Wed 15 May
Isn't that what they do in the Conference?
Pigeon
5th v 6th (5th at home), winner plays 4th (4th at home), winner plays 3rd at Wembley.

Makes it fairer, no?

Good idea but sadly lessens the 'revenue stream' for the powers that be, from 5 games down to 3

Definitely agree the higher a team finshes they should have some advantage over those below them
14:13, Wed 15 May
It was last year when it was mentioned too 😛
Bordesley not Small Heath
Pigeon

Makes it fairer, no?

Good idea but sadly lessens the 'revenue stream' for the powers to be from 5 games down to 3

Definitely agree the higher a team finshes they should have some advantage over those below them

You could make the quarter and semi final over 2 legs, that way it stays at 5 games.

Lot of football to play for 5th/6th placed team though.
14:16, Wed 15 May
I think you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

The play offs are brilliant imo.
14:30, Wed 15 May
Get rid of them completely and have 3 promoted as of right over a 46 game season.

Radical suggestion I know...
14:31, Wed 15 May
e17blue
Isn't that what they do in the Conference?

Yeah,

I think fylde finished 5th but had to play 3 games in a week to get to Wembley, which is much fairer.

In the EFL 3rd can finish X amount of points ahead of 6th yet have no real advantage.
14:37, Wed 15 May
Spike
Get rid of them completely and have 3 promoted as of right over a 46 game season.

Radical suggestion I know...

In a 24 team league, so many teams would have their season over by like February it would be boring for most.

I quite like the suggestion in the OP but as someone has said it would mean 9 showpiece games rather 15 across the divisions for the EFL which wouldn't go down too well I don't suppose.
14:40, Wed 15 May

Makes it fairer, no?

Miles fairer and much more logical - therefore, exactly NOT what the stuffed shirts will do.
14:59, Wed 15 May
Much better and fairer.

Up here in Scotland the playoff formula is similar to a degree.

1 up automatically, then 3rd play 4th over two legs, winner of that tie plays 2nd over 2 legs, winner of that tie plays 2nd bottom in the Prem over two legs.

Makes it nigh on impossible for the team that finishes 3rd or 4th to go up, though as they have to play 6 games in 2 and a half weeks. Your plan would solve that!
15:05, Wed 15 May
European Bob
In a 24 team league, so many teams would have their season over by like February it would be boring for most.

We used to manage...in the days before play-offs.

I realise that people have become accustomed to the play-offs and have shorter attention spans these days, and obviously I realise the genie isn't going back into the bottle. But there are only so many ways you can argue and suggest inventive ways to make an inherently unfair system slightly less unfair...or differently unfair.
15:48, Wed 15 May
Frank
I think you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

The play offs are brilliant imo.

I agree with this. I think it's a great system that adds some surprise to the league.
15:52, Wed 15 May
Top 2 promoted, 3rd place plays 17th in the prem in a one-off play off.
Waggeh: "All because some fat lad from Rubery slapped greasy Jack with his bingo wing."