13:30, Wed 12 Jun
Micky Darrell
I haven't followed the thread and I haven't spent much time thinking it through. Off the top of my head I'd say the similarity between God and aliens is that they are both 'ideas'. That is there is no verifiable evidence of either.

I think an intelligent person might search for material evidence of lifeforms elsewhere in the universe but an intelligent religious religious person wouldn't search for material evidence of God.

That's a fair point Micky, and same point QBBC2 was making earlier in the thread. I do sometimes wonder if I suspend my skeptical mind in some cases because I want to believe it's true. I might dispute your point about verifiable evidence (I believe there's plenty) but what frustrates me the most is the attitude and contempt shown to the subject, which if true would be the most remarkable event in history ever - that we are being visited by extraterrestrial civilizations.

Why is a belief system based on a man dying, then magically coming back to life deemed "acceptable" to the mainstream - yet people suggesting we might be being visited (which, let's face it, is far more likely) is greeted by derision and hoots of laughter. I just don't get it.
15:30, Wed 12 Jun
Those of a scientific bent can't have it all their own way.

To believe that only what is demonstrably true is true (empiricism) is also wrong in my book.
DB
15:31, Wed 12 Jun
I'm not sure the biblical story, in its literal form, is deemed acceptable to the mainstream in most western countries (US excepted).
The Usual Suspect
15:50, Wed 12 Jun
Southy
“However, it’s not believed that the craft were alien in origin.

The pilots who saw them speculated that they were part of a secret drone programme developing super fast and ultra manoeuvrable unmanned craft.”

Yeah right. Coming from a telecoms background and actually discussing data connectivity with Amazon for their drone project, I'm really super curious to learn how these "super drones" overcome both the problem of power and superfast data connectivity at 20K+ feet from the nearest 5G transmitter or satellite.

I dunno, maybe we back-engineered some extra-terrestrial technology that allows us to do that nowadays...

This is the problem with threads like this, some are actually more prepared to believe that 'it's got to be aliens' than accept that governments might be developing technology at a faster pace than they realise.
In it's way - just a mirror of the God squad, just more willing to 'believe' in a different entity.
16:11, Wed 12 Jun
You get wifi on a transatlantic flight at 32k feet.
16:17, Wed 12 Jun
Honestly mate - pardon the irony there is no way on Gods earth we have the technology to do that. None.

Fibre optic cable allows you to transmit signals at the speed of light, (although even that slows down over 25 miles and the signal needs regeneration) and, according to Physics that's the fastest there is in this Universe. Unless the Military has found a way to transmit these speeds across the airwaves (some speculation that this is what Nikolai Tesla was trying to achieve back in the 1920's) you cannot transmit and employ instructions to a drone to do the manouevres pictured here.

And if you could we would have seen similar in the last few wars or the technology would now be being monetized in commercial endeavours.

I would place "Super Drones" in the Swamp Gas file. So we're still looking for a rational explanation.
16:18, Wed 12 Jun
Radio waves travel at the speed of light.

Drones flying missions in Afghanistan being piloted by RAF pilots in bases in the UK?

nothing sci fi about that.

And anyway, you wouldn't need to control them, you'd have some AI software controlling them.

The limits of aeronautical engineering are based around the squishy blood filled thing at the front.
16:22, Wed 12 Jun
Fair question - but if the instructions or controls are "built -in" which is the only other option you need a microprocessor backed by a battery capable of supporting both it and the speeds in question. The faster the speeds, the bigger the battery, (to generate the required power) so from an aero-dynamics perspective...
16:24, Wed 12 Jun
What's the speed of the RAF drones?

They also fly in a fairly linear direction. They can circle, but cannot do the turns at the speeds depicted in this video
16:26, Wed 12 Jun
notts_blue
Radio waves travel at the speed of light.

Drones flying missions in Afghanistan being piloted by RAF pilots in bases in the UK?

nothing sci fi about that.

And anyway, you wouldn't need to control them, you'd have some AI software controlling them.

The limits of aeronautical engineering are based around the squishy blood filled thing at the front.

And perhaps the ability of the metal skin infrastructure to survive the strain of forces when turning at that speed?
16:34, Wed 12 Jun
I'm not suggesting they can.

You said we can't send things "over the airwaves" at the speed of light. You can.

There's more memory and processing power in your phone than a PC of 2 or 3 years ago.

F=mA - when you stick a 12 stone chap in the front of a jet fighter and a bloody big engine and fuel tanks, you need a lot of A to get alot of F to move the m. Take the pilot out, find a better way of doing the acceleration and you've got a super fast aerial vehicle.

Stick a pretty low level AI in it, teach it to fly, make it out of super strong resistant materials and you can pull 50G's without it falling apart.

why is this not credible to you?

Here you go - here's a link to a story about one that didn't work. (from 2012)

[www.space.com]
17:31, Wed 12 Jun
There is a precedent for life in the universe though, whereas there is none for "God".
20:43, Wed 12 Jun
Micky Darrell
Those of a scientific bent can't have it all their own way.

To believe that only what is demonstrably true is true (empiricism) is also wrong in my book.

You can use logic and rational thinking to decide which are plausible ideas and which ideas are more unlikely.
20:51, Wed 12 Jun
Yes. And I do.
21:01, Wed 12 Jun
Not if you're not of a scientific bent you don't 🤓