23:19, Tue 21 May
I don't think anyone, so far, has said UFOs don't exist - that's not the question. An unidentified flying object is just that - a flying object that's unidentified, it's the identification that's key. Some people believe it's alien spacecraft. I'm asking if those people also believe in God, as there's an interesting juxtaposition of science and belief at play.

As it happens there's more evidence that Jesus existed than there is evidence of aliens existing, but even the existence of Jesus doesn't prove the existence of God. Either way I'm not asking about proof, I'm asking about belief. Other people started conflating the two and talking about evidence.
23:23, Tue 21 May
You never answered my question.....

What is more likely to be proved in the next 10 years;

1) That God the almighty exists

or

2) That other life forms beyond planet earth exist
23:26, Tue 21 May
So are you linking god to aliens and UFOs

Yes, no, maybe and ? 'Tis an interesting premise and one that some believe. Others believe Jesus was a spaceman, a time traveller or an alien. In the words of the dearly departed Lux Interior, I myself believe in whatever comes in handy.
23:34, Tue 21 May
I didn't answer because I thought it was a rhetorical question to illustrate some half-baked point instead of answering the original question but if it pleases you then the answer is I neither know nor care but probably neither. Whatever evidence is presented the believers will believe and the non believers will refute it. I have no interest in either being proved, I'm more interested in what people believe. You're the one banging on about proof without actually having any.

BTW you never answered my question - who the f*** are you?
23:41, Tue 21 May
QBBC2
I’m not aware of any scientific evidence that God exists. (I’m happy to be corrected on this).

In fact is it not the staple of most religions that it’s followers need to have ‘faith’ to believe......which basically means it’s aload of b****cks.

There's about as much scientific evidence that God exists as there is that aliens exist. Belief in aliens and their spacecraft visiting earth requires 'faith', as does the whole idea of life on earth, the Big Bang Theory, evolution etc so why do you think belief in God is a load of b****cks but not belief in aliens from another planet or solar system?

FWIW in a study of UK scientists - biologists and physicists - 45% do not believe in God which means that 55% believe in some form of deity.

[www.futurity.org]

How's that for 'b****cks'?

Anyway, back to the original question - do any of you UFO believers believe there is a God of some form or another? A simple yes or no will suffice for now.

There’s mountains of evidence for evolution.
The Big Bang is a credible theory for explaining the birth of the universe due to the fact that galaxies are racing away from each other as discovered by Hubble. The universe maybe experiencing infinite expansions and contractions. The fact that we don’t know is fine. We may find out or we may never know.
There is zero scientific evidence for God.
23:58, Tue 21 May
There's mountains of evidence to support the theory of evolution but there's also holes that are unexplained and require a leap of faith. Finding evidence to fit a theory is the wrong way to go.

The big bang is credible in much the same way. I didn't ask about the birth of the universe though, I asked where the component parts that came together to create the Big Bang came from.

The only reason there is no 'scientific' evidence for God is because science can't explain it satisfactorily and so fluffs it and yet there are things that exist beyond science's ken that must have an explanation. For some that is the proof that God exists - the places in between science's understanding. Love. Consciousness. Creation. Science requires a leap of faith to explain many things and people don't question it 'because it's science'but they get angry that people believe in God because there's no proof and it's faith. Silly really.

For me this is the most salient point "The fact that we don’t know is fine. We may find out or we may never know." Indeed. So why do some people argue their side and dismiss the other when both sides are equally as inconclusive? I'm happy not knowing. It frees the mind to be able to consider that everything is possible.
00:11, Wed 22 May
Of course there are gaps in our scientific knowledge but they don't require leaps of faith (it's fine to say we don't know) and the evidence isn't put together to fit a theory. If scientists attempt this then they're found out.

The starting point of science is that it has no answers. It looks at the data and tests it to create answers. The starting point of religion is that it has all the answers.

You can use God to fill in the gaps if you like but the burden of proof falls on you to prove it. It's not up to science to disprove a myth.

Regarding the first cause in relation to the big bang or creation. We may never have a satisfactory answer. It may not even be a sensible question. As advanced apes it's counter intuitive for us to even try to imagine the vastness of the cosmos or the sheer length of time that is 13 bn years. We've evolved to worry about eating and shagging and not getting eaten. It's not surprising that solving the mysteries of the universe is proving to be challenging. We shouldn't give up though and we shouldn't be lazy enough to fill the gaps with God.
DB
07:05, Wed 22 May
Can we get back to cool stories on UFOs and government conspiracies plz.
The Usual Suspect
07:07, Wed 22 May
I’m an alien.....from a galaxy far far away
07:22, Wed 22 May
It always seems to me that those who believe in extraterrestrial life actually want it to exist. Could never quite understand why. We are a world whose history is of wars between nations, and a recent history of world wars. If ever extraterrestrial life was capable of visiting Earth, I think I can predict the outcome. Fortunately the laws of physics will ensure that never happens.
08:35, Wed 22 May
It's a rather bizarre theory to assume that any other alien life form in the universe would behave in the same way humans do. If they are sufficiently advanced to travel the distances required then the probably view us in the same way we view a colony of ants
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
08:56, Wed 22 May
Falstaff
It always seems to me that those who believe in extraterrestrial life actually want it to exist. Could never quite understand why. We are a world whose history is of wars between nations, and a recent history of world wars. If ever extraterrestrial life was capable of visiting Earth, I think I can predict the outcome. Fortunately the laws of physics will ensure that never happens.

'the laws of physics will ensure that never happens' Bit of a bold statement that. Many years ago laws of physics would have said it was impossible to put a man on the moon or land something on Mars. Also IF there are aliens they may be far more advanced than us.
09:35, Wed 22 May
did you ever see the list of things the US govt were researching as part of the AATIP? it was pretty eye-opening

[fas.org]
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
09:49, Wed 22 May
Tilton Rifle
Of course there are gaps in our scientific knowledge but they don't require leaps of faith (it's fine to say we don't know) and the evidence isn't put together to fit a theory. If scientists attempt this then they're found out.

The starting point of science is that it has no answers. It looks at the data and tests it to create answers. The starting point of religion is that it has all the answers.

You can use God to fill in the gaps if you like but the burden of proof falls on you to prove it. It's not up to science to disprove a myth.

Regarding the first cause in relation to the big bang or creation. We may never have a satisfactory answer. It may not even be a sensible question. As advanced apes it's counter intuitive for us to even try to imagine the vastness of the cosmos or the sheer length of time that is 13 bn years. We've evolved to worry about eating and shagging and not getting eaten. It's not surprising that solving the mysteries of the universe is proving to be challenging. We shouldn't give up though and we shouldn't be lazy enough to fill the gaps with God.

To be fair to QB he hasn't actually said he believes in God, unless I've missed something.

I think that's rather his point.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
09:57, Wed 22 May
This is like a thread from the olden days.😁

For what it's worth, I think AnE has every right to ask QB to 'define his terms' as QB is asking the question.

There are plenty of holes in your argument QB as well, you are using some really old school classic internet argument techniques. It's like an old school masterclass. There's been a couple of ad hominems, some propositional fallacies, plenty of ambiguous statements presented as fact. just need a Hitler reference and I've got four corners on my 'internet forum bingo' card.
H Bomb on DES "I'm actually ashamed to support the same club as you"