12:06, Wed 22 May
as i've said it's hard to answer a question when the term used is so vague and unspecific (as you demonstrated with my obtuse question by actually answering whether you believed in the existance of nails rather than the question i asked), god means different things to different people. it can mean trevor francis to one or a bearded bloke (not bob latchford) who sits in heaven to others.

when you clear up what you mean by God then i'll happily answer.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
12:08, Wed 22 May
I'll refer you again to the fundamental difference between science and religion. The foundation of science is that it knows nothing and seeks to find out. Religion already has all the answers. They aren't equivalent leaps of faith at all. It isn't incumbent on science to disprove myths. You're a clever bloke so stop being silly.

You're conflating a belief in the existence of a God with an adherence to a religion. You can have Theistic or Deistic belief without believing in religion. If you have Theistic or Deistic belief then the equivalent leaps of faith are comparable.

If asking questions instead of just believing things because science or religion say it's true is silly then I'm happy to be silly.
12:08, Wed 22 May
Yes and yes
12:17, Wed 22 May
JCL
Hello,
Damn this is just like the old day.
For the record (and I know no one asked me): -

I don’t believe in God
I don’t think alien life forms visit our planet in spaceships
I do believe there is other life in the universe, probably been on our Galaxy
I don’t think we will ever be able to prove there is intelligent life
I do believe we will prove there is basic life forms out there
I like the idea of the multi universe / inter dimensions. (Those cats must see something when they are sketchily staring at a wall) We probably all need to do some DMT or Ayahuasca but there is more out there then we can see, no doubt.
I also believe in dinosaurs. (Often wonder if religious types watch history programs and just go ‘nope’)

Nice one JCL.

With regard to dinosaurs, there are references to them in the bible, it's just that the term dinosaur wasn't coined until 1842 so they had to call them different things and, as with all things, their understanding of them was different. Obviously there are some Creationists who don't believe in dinosaurs but that doesn't hold true for all religious types.
12:23, Wed 22 May
QBBC2
Hello,
Damn this is just like the old day.
For the record (and I know no one asked me): -

I don’t believe in God
I don’t think alien life forms visit our planet in spaceships
I do believe there is other life in the universe, probably been on our Galaxy
I don’t think we will ever be able to prove there is intelligent life
I do believe we will prove there is basic life forms out there
I like the idea of the multi universe / inter dimensions. (Those cats must see something when they are sketchily staring at a wall) We probably all need to do some DMT or Ayahuasca but there is more out there then we can see, no doubt.
I also believe in dinosaurs. (Often wonder if religious types watch history programs and just go ‘nope’)

Nice one JCL.

With regard to dinosaurs, there are references to them in the bible, it's just that the term dinosaur wasn't coined until 1842 so they had to call them different things and, as with all things, their understanding of them was different. Obviously there are some Creationists who don't believe in dinosaurs but that doesn't hold true for all religious types.

References in the bible doesn't mean anything its not proof. Finding bones is proof. Whats religious beliefs got to do with proof.
12:23, Wed 22 May
as i've said it's hard to answer a question when the term used is so vague and unspecific (as you demonstrated with my obtuse question by actually answering whether you believed in the existance of nails rather than the question i asked), god means different things to different people. it can mean trevor francis to one or a bearded bloke (not bob latchford) who sits in heaven to others.

when you clear up what you mean by God then i'll happily answer.

So, whatever God means to you, you either believe or you don't, so which is it?

And on your question of nails, I think you'll find I answered your question. What is a nail? An object and a verb.

(still the issue of aliens to address...)
12:31, Wed 22 May
References in the bible doesn't mean anything its not proof. Finding bones is proof. Whats religious beliefs got to do with proof.

Erm... it's proof that the people who wrote the Bible understood that there were large beasts on land and in the sea that were akin to dragons or large lizards that no longer existed at the time they were written about. There are depictions of what we now call dinosaurs pre-dating religion and also in religious artefacts. That's proof that they knew dinosaurs existed.
12:39, Wed 22 May
QBBC2
So, whatever God means to you, you either believe or you don't, so which is it?

And on your question of nails, I think you'll find I answered your question. What is a nail? An object and a verb.

(still the issue of aliens to address...)

God means many things to me, it depends on which thing you're referring to.

also a nail isnt a verb. it would be "to nail" if it were a verb. a nail can be multiple things depending on what you're talking about, it could be the thing on the end of your finger or it could be something you knock into a piece of wood. so if i asked you "can you use a nail to join 2 pieces of wood together, it would be hard to answer unless you knew what type of nail the person was referring to.

see this answering obtuse questions isnt as easy as you think is it 😜
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
12:45, Wed 22 May
QBBC2

Erm... it's proof that the people who wrote the Bible understood that there were large beasts on land and in the sea that were akin to dragons or large lizards that no longer existed at the time they were written about. There are depictions of what we now call dinosaurs pre-dating religion and also in religious artefacts. That's proof that they knew dinosaurs existed.

Its just a book. It states there was large beasts on the land but that is not proof. Bones are proof. Many years ago people wrote about man landing on another planet. That was educated science fiction. Man landing on the moon was proof.
12:58, Wed 22 May
That's proof that they knew dinosaurs existed.

Can you point me to the wording in the bible that you think proves this?
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
13:02, Wed 22 May
see this answering obtuse questions isnt as easy as you think is it 😜

But you're exactly as clever as I think you are. Nail is a verb. Look it up.

At least we've established you believe in God. Now for the aliens visiting earth question...
13:13, Wed 22 May
QBBC2
I'll refer you again to the fundamental difference between science and religion. The foundation of science is that it knows nothing and seeks to find out. Religion already has all the answers. They aren't equivalent leaps of faith at all. It isn't incumbent on science to disprove myths. You're a clever bloke so stop being silly.

You're conflating a belief in the existence of a God with an adherence to a religion. You can have Theistic or Deistic belief without believing in religion. If you have Theistic or Deistic belief then the equivalent leaps of faith are comparable.

If asking questions instead of just believing things because science or religion say it's true is silly then I'm happy to be silly.

There's plenty of real evidence against theism. Especially the usual form where the intervening deity is benevolent.

Deism is more difficult given that a deity could be anything from Thor to the intelligent creator of a simulation (plausible IMO). The point is that a creator and the discovery of it would be a scientific discovery and therefore there'd be a natural explanation. Science is the only tool we have for explaining the universe. Faith is intellectually lazy.
13:15, Wed 22 May
[phys.org]

now this is the kind of s**t that religion doesnt give us!!
13:17, Wed 22 May
QBBC2
Nail is a verb. Look it up.

shame i never asked "what is nail" then 😜

QBBC2
At least we've established you believe in God.

i think everyone believes in TF dont they, most of us have seen him.
13:25, Wed 22 May
That's proof that they knew dinosaurs existed.

Can you point me to the wording in the bible that you think proves this?

Job 40:15-24
Job 41:1-2,7,12-32

There are ancient depictions from all cultures, religious and non-religious, all over the world that uniformly describe dinosaurs. Either that's a massive coincidence or ancient civilisations knew that they existed. How could they know they existed if there was no proof?