09:42, Fri 7 Jun
What did they say?
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
09:45, Fri 7 Jun
Carragher kept saying how stupid Stones was

They were all honest in their review of the game
09:45, Fri 7 Jun
Exactly, you know your stuff 👍
09:47, Fri 7 Jun
e17blue
Rice?
Did he do anything last night, can;t seem to remember

I saw in in extra time & genuinely though that he must have come on as a sub.

I spent 10 minutes trying to work out who he's come on for.
09:50, Fri 7 Jun
According to the BBC Rice played from the start and was subbed in the 105 minute?

Can't for the life of me remember anything he added to the game.

Then again, most of the midfield seemed to disappear for large portions of the game
09:52, Fri 7 Jun
number8
The whole point is that the midfield is supposed to move and create space to pass into. But for that you need midfielders comfortable in possession. We literally had none in that squad. To move forward you need to get players like Maddison, Foden, Loftus-Cheek etc in there and give them games to get used to that level. Not effing Mark Noble.

The result is the defenders either have too much time with the ball, and resort to trying to overplay or just hoofing it, which will get you killed at that level.

The Dutch have always been technically better, but we have kids coming through who have managed to avid the "gerrintuem" merchants and want to play the ball.

All the reactionary bollocks about humping it, players never wearing the shirt again and Southgate being sacked is a complete pile of shite. We are miles better off than a couple of years back, people need to realise where we are coming from and who were are playing against. We have no divine right and of the players we have, at this moment we have none that you'd put as 100% world class. De Jong would instantly transform us into a much better team, you need to find an English De Jong and give them time.

No one has any patience anymore in football.

Agreed.

It's not the time to go back to 70s football.

Just frustrated that we picked the wrong players to execute this strategy.

How you could pick Rice or Delph over Maddison based on watching football this year I haven't got a scooby.

If you are going to take a risk on a youngster, why not make it Foden rather than Rice? Much more appropriate for the kind of football we were looking to play.

Henderson made a big difference when he came on.
09:55, Fri 7 Jun
That errors like Stones' don't mean you throw the baby out with the bath water. You pass it to the keeper then move off to try and have it back in space. You don't have to try a tricky turn or hump it in that situation. You just stay patient, keep it and try to start again.

Redknapp went on about the midfielders, how you need to be able to keep it in tight situations and rotation is absolutely key to the system working. Too often the midfielders we had out there stayed either on a straight line or just stood still when the back 4 had the ball. Neville & Carragher said when they were playing they just hoofed it into channels and that this team is so much better than the ones they played in, even if individually they had some world class players available.

Also the fact that teams like France have 3 or 4 world class players at this moment and we have none, but the potential is immense. The squad is younger than ever. Its a work in progress, don't rip everything up now, you just need some comfortable midfielders and tweaks to make us a top international team for the first time in decades.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
09:55, Fri 7 Jun
Foden & Maddison are in the under 21's who start their euros in just over 2 weeks.

Would rather they get the experience there than play in two games here.
09:57, Fri 7 Jun
You need one midfielder who can hold and slot into defence when needed. Ideally he can also take the ball and pass it on. All the best teams have that fulcrum. Rice will be fine in time. He'll get a move from West Ham hopefully and improve at a higher level.
Thongs
09:58, Fri 7 Jun
Good point, ideally they do well there and Southgate gets them into the Euro qualifiers as we have an easy enough group where they can find their feet.
Thongs
10:05, Fri 7 Jun
number8
That errors like Stones' don't mean you throw the baby out with the bath water. You pass it to the keeper then move off to try and have it back in space. You don't have to try a tricky turn or hump it in that situation. You just stay patient, keep it and try to start again.

Redknapp went on about the midfielders, how you need to be able to keep it in tight situations and rotation is absolutely key to the system working. Too often the midfielders we had out there stayed either on a straight line or just stood still when the back 4 had the ball. Neville & Carragher said when they were playing they just hoofed it into channels and that this team is so much better than the ones they played in, even if individually they had some world class players available.

Also the fact that teams like France have 3 or 4 world class players at this moment and we have none, but the potential is immense. The squad is younger than ever. Its a work in progress, don't rip everything up now, you just need some comfortable midfielders and tweaks to make us a top international team for the first time in decades.
I like Neville and Carragher. I think Kane is World Class though as number 9’s go. The key is service into him and Sterling who’d be on the radar of any Club side too. I’ve said for years International teams succeed by being defensively tight and being able to play as well. We’ve got ball players, but do look shaky as hell at times when pressurised especially in a back 4. Our full backs being better offensively not helping the situation further in a back 4.
Delphi needs binning now too. Concentrate on the talent coming through playing regularly, which may be an excuse for Stones that some will use. Southgate has backtracked few times after saying he will only pick players who are playing regularly and are in form
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
10:10, Fri 7 Jun
I doubt Delph gets in the squad again. Even Dier might find it difficult going forward.

One player under threat is Dele as he has gone backwards in 12 months.
Thongs
10:12, Fri 7 Jun
He has. For Club and Country
10:20, Fri 7 Jun
You only have to look at the under 21 squad to see the team will look drastically different for the next tournament.

Wan-Bissaka/Foden/Maddison are all nailed on to make the step up.

Then you have players like Kenny/Barnes/Mount/Sessegnon/Abraham/Calvert-Lewin who have a chance.

I'd stick with the 4-3-3. That's how you will get the best out of Sterling/Sancho. TAA/Gomez in for Walker/Stones & Foden/Maddison in for Delph/Barkley please.
10:34, Fri 7 Jun
I think ou might struggle to play Fioden and Maddison in a 433