09:30, Thu 20 Jun
David Xavis
I'm not saying that Monk didn't want the players to sign with his agent, but to state that Monk removed Billingham from his integration with the first team as a result is a very dangerous accusation to make, and I wouldn't take Dongs word for it.

If it's true - and why would Mayor say it if it wasn't - that two players and presumably their parents? have put in formal grievances about pressure being brought to bear by the manager to sign with his agent...then that's pretty serious to be honest.

Not saying I believe everything Ren says, not saying the club haven't got questions to answer...but on that, they have to act.
09:31, Thu 20 Jun
I have to say that this interview is pretty damning and hard to read

If... and that's a big if, this is true then Monk rightly got sacked

I cant defend the Beale decision as it seems mental, but perhaps more will come to light on that too

We don't see the ins and outs of how managers handle things but I am really disappointed in GM if this is true

Its a shame that we seem to have a superb youth setup that has been ignored, an under 23s squad that was set up by Monk and never played a minute for the senior squad, and a guy who made sure his mate was involved in most of his deals. it all stinks really

Also, it would be silly to quote that the youth are now keen to sign now that Monk has gone, surely if this wasn't true it wouldn't take long for someone to speak against it.

Perhaps, this is all for the best and we can push on.

It would be fantastic if we could find a new manager that played attacking football and pushed us on in a professional manner.

JUST WOW!
09:34, Thu 20 Jun
Fat Buddha
I need a lie down
Been on nights?
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
09:34, Thu 20 Jun
Ironically, Monk has given more young players a chance in the first team than any of his predecessors that I can think of.

I’m kind of with those that see the whole agent thing as indicative of the game at the moment. Maybe Monk genuinely felt that it was in the best interests of the player to sign with an agent he trusted? Maybe it was in his financial interests that the player did? I don’t know. Maybe if the EFL spent some time trying to regulate this kind of thing then football at this level could go some way towards being a little more transparent. Seems to me like there’s too much easy money to be made by individuals in the game.
@stevanderman
09:35, Thu 20 Jun
Hmm. Seem to recall something similar happening at West Ham when Allardyce was there. Players being pressured to sign for a particular agent or else. Even senior players were in on it. Just corruption by another name...
Ricky Blotto
And who's the common denominator in all this? Our effing dogshit Chinese owners.

My thoughts entirely.

And my view.

"If you throw enough s h i t, some of it will stick"

Chinese are brilliant at misinformation.
having a Deja Vu moment here - Is this why Monk fell foul of Gibson at Middlesborough ?, I think I remember boro taking us/monk to court so we couldnt sign their youngsters ?
Many thanks Dan.

Really appreciate your views on this s h i t show.

Keep up the good work.
09:45, Thu 20 Jun
Good article, one of your best actually.

Just shows there are two sides to a story.

I think anybody thinking that Monk was beyond reproach - or that at least some of what Ren says isn't true, is a bit naïve.

Same way I think it's ok to be cynical about what Ren says.

But generally, I think it's one of those situations you get in any walk of life or business - whether an employee does something sackable...and whether they actually get sacked, are two different things. If Ren and Monk's relationship was strong, it could have been sorted - but it clearly wasn't.

Here's another thing I honestly think, regarding the Beale situation. I think that Monk could have helped Beale out there as well. If one of my employees came to me with that story about their mate taking his own life etc - but he had a really important business related issue to deal with...I would tell him to deal with his issue and I would look after the work stuff for him. If it was so important for the club that somebody senior attend that match - and I can see why it would be, then that could also have been done better.

It shouldn't and didn't need to have - blown up in Beale's face. Monk could have helped that situation no doubt.

Same as the suggestion about changing the playing style. We all have experience of bosses saying something unrealistic, there's a way to respectfully but firmly deal with that. You might say "Sure, yes - of course, we'd all like to improve the style and develop...but to do that you really will have to help me get a better passing midfielder so let's see what we can do together..."

What you don't do is tell the boss he doesn't know what the eff he's talking about (even if he plainly doesn't...).
09:49, Thu 20 Jun
Roger the lodger
Hantsbluenose
David Xavis
Have to say I don't believe what Dong says, Monk will need to give his side of the story for me.

I think there are one or two youth players that will confirm there is truth in this .... to actually name one of them as well says it all .....
I know an U23 player, a really good player as well, (not Bellingham) who told me last season he wasn’t getting a crack at the first team squad because he wouldn’t go with monks agent, tbh I just thought it was probably just a bit of sour grapes and never thought too much about it although I did tell a few pals who all agreed with the sour grapes theory. It now looks like he could have been telling the truth.

I think it also makes more sense of the original announcement when he said .....

'The Club has a pool of talented players and those emerging via the Academy and Under-23s will be embraced, even more so than before'.
09:51, Thu 20 Jun
I wonder if the bollocking in Feb/March had anything to do with how our results panned out?

Interesting article that. If accurate, it also could be true we have risked our first team players by not resting them when carrying injuries because we didn’t bring the kids in.
@Bluewurst1875
09:52, Thu 20 Jun
thanks Mayor, another great piece.
Question regards the 'current' owners, have they put more money into blues that anyone else in our history? (I mean total, after all the ins/outs)
09:54, Thu 20 Jun
LH_4
It's the Rowett situation all over again.

You never know what to believe and eventually it's the fans who are left being divisive.

Absolutely this. Ren speaks once in two years after demonstrating all the business and footballing acumen of Mr Tumble and we're expected to believe a word he says?

FECK RIGHT OFF
Sonic Youth fan. MBV. If you like feedback that much get a job at the council.
09:55, Thu 20 Jun
Blue Flamingo
thanks Mayor, another great piece.
Question regards the 'current' owners, have they put more money into blues that anyone else in our history? (I mean total, after all the ins/outs)

No.
09:55, Thu 20 Jun
Ironically, Monk has given more young players a chance in the first team than any of his predecessors that I can think of.

I’m kind of with those that see the whole agent thing as indicative of the game at the moment. Maybe Monk genuinely felt that it was in the best interests of the player to sign with an agent he trusted? Maybe it was in his financial interests that the player did? I don’t know. Maybe if the EFL spent some time trying to regulate this kind of thing then football at this level could go some way towards being a little more transparent. Seems to me like there’s too much easy money to be made by individuals in the game.

To be fair it's probably the type of thing even the most crooked managers and agents do on a good day.