08:29, Sun 21 Jul
He might be in time, and I've always defended him and said there is a player there despite the huge amount of people on here who slagged him. Its the revisionist stance that Morrison was crap that's a bit OTT.

Its sounds like Morrison didnt get a chance to ask for anything. I can't believe Reading are paying him much if anything more than he would have taken off us for 2 years.
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
08:31, Sun 21 Jul
number8
He might be in time, and I've always defended him and said there is a player there despite the huge amount of people on here who slagged him. Its the revisionist stance that Morrison was crap that's a bit OTT.

Not crap by any means. Good servant, happy he’s got a deal somewhere, but limited and not ideally suited to a 3 at the back formation. So I can see the logic even though I’d have liked him to stay.
08:33, Sun 21 Jul
I'm dubious as to how long the three at the back lasts for us. The longer it does the better we're doing I guess.
Thongs
08:34, Sun 21 Jul
I bloody hope it works. If not we've got one senior winger at the club.
08:46, Sun 21 Jul
number8
I'm dubious as to how long the three at the back lasts for us. The longer it does the better we're doing I guess.

I really hope they give it time. It’s the kind of thing that needs 25 games or there’s no point. Zola bottled it and went from a 3-4-3 to a back 5 with a diamond in front of it. That worked at Wolves but was a disaster eventually as we had no attacking threat.

If we get people chanting 4-4-2 three games in (we will, it’s Blues) then that’s really unhelpful.

For me there are 4 critical positions in the system.

Attacking wing backs * 2 - think we’re ok there though could use some depth on the right.

Holding player in midfield that can circulate the ball - big gap

Number 10 - think we’ve got options there with Crowley and Mrabti plus Bellingham for 10 mins off the bench occasionally.
09:04, Sun 21 Jul
Yep, patience will never be more of a virtue this season. As you say, you need games, judging after 2 or 3 will be worthless. Be interesting if things go a bit south who breaks first, the crowd or the board.

Yep, a centre mid to pivot off is key now.
Thongs
09:31, Sun 21 Jul
Absolutely no one on here suggested Roberts should start over Morrison at any point in his time here, let's not rewrite history so Roberts is now somehow the love child of Beckenbauer and Maldini.

That’s just not true

I did. Roberts is a better footballer
@Bluewurst1875
Holdsworth_MaraSonner
European Bob
I’ve said on other threads, people think he’s easily replaceable. We spent £3.5m and £25k a week on a 5 year deal for Marc Roberts who is inferior in every way.

I wish the bloke the best, been a fantastic servant to the club

Roberts is better in the air and distributes the ball better.

Better in the air, yes, but - and I know that Morrison's distribution isn't great - Roberts's passing can be absolutely abysmal. If he could improve that, I'd be happier about him.
@6strings4paws
10:20, Sun 21 Jul
Bluewurst
Absolutely no one on here suggested Roberts should start over Morrison at any point in his time here, let's not rewrite history so Roberts is now somehow the love child of Beckenbauer and Maldini.

That’s just not true

Neither of them are technically good footballers. Neither of them would claim it's their strength either.

But Morrison is a better defender IMO.
12:56, Sun 21 Jul
bluer than blues
But by the same token we also picked up Morrison himself for peanuts.

Personally I can understand the board wanting to give a shorter deal given the money they've wasted. However, I think Morrison was a valuable asset and was worth a two year deal.

Looking for the positives, it gives us the chance to try and get the best out of a centre back we spent a decent whack on, and also gives Harding more opportunities to grow.

If we go into this season with either Harding or Roberts starting at centre half we will be in for a long very tough season.

The board have spunked money left right and centre over the last few years, I am fairly sure a two year deal for Morrison would have been good value and not needing us to break the bank. Just another in a long line of examples of strange decisions by the people in charge.

Without trying to overreact I cannot think of a worst more unsettling pre-season for years having had our manager, star striker and defensive leader all depart and yet to be replaced.
DES
13:22, Sun 21 Jul
LH_4
Bluewurst

That’s just not true

Neither of them are technically good footballers. Neither of them would claim it's their strength either.

But Morrison is a better defender IMO.
Good comment bluewurst, Roberts unmitigated flop since he joined, now we are all hoping for miracle transformation!
Kr
13:34, Sun 21 Jul
DES
Roberts hasn’t been an “unmitigated flop” at all.

Every player we had was shit for most of the 2017/18 season. He barely played last season because Dean and Morrison were solid. I’m optimistic about him alongside Dean. I’d rather have Morrison but Roberts isn’t the worst option for a replacement without spending more money.
I got the horses in the back
DES
14:45, Sun 21 Jul
Amelia, when you pay top dollar for someone and two years later they have barely started a game, then to me they are a flop!
Hope he turns things round, but prefer Harding and Dean!
Kro
09:48, Mon 22 Jul
Scoobers
That "Inferior" Reading can afford to give a two year (two year !) contract to our captain when we won't is laughable in many ways

I don't think that's laughable.

Being able to and wishing to give him a two year contract on whatever the money was are two different things.

And obviously none of us know what the figures were.

Offering a year plus a year option doesn't seem that crazy, although it does seem a bit weird that he reckons they never spoke to him after the original offer.
09:50, Mon 22 Jul
number8

It is a weird one, because it's not so long ago that a lot of people reckoned Morrison wasn't up to much...although like you say, nobody has claimed Roberts was great...although some people have said Roberts needs a chance to show what he can actually do.