19:59, Sun 8 Sep
Stokes in the last Test covered a lot of the cracks in the series. Maybe a bit of World Cup hangover too yet I didn't think we played as much as a team as we have before
DES
23:27, Sun 8 Sep
We haven’t lost an ashes home series since 2001, ENGLAND EXPECTS VICTORY @ The oval!
Kro
00:50, Mon 9 Sep
DES
Big changes needed.

1. Root isn't a captain, let him focus on his batting, preferably at 4.
2. Bayliss will be gone, we need a proper coach who will design a younger and more hungry team.
3. Ed Smith also needs to go. A joke of a selector. Bring in someone with knowledge of the County Championship.
4. Stop with the experiment of picking white ball players instead of red ball players. Less Buttler, Roy, Denly and Bairstow and more Sibley, Pope, Foakes and Curran. The "jobs for the boys" mentality also needs to go.
5. Start having proper 3 day first class games to prepare for series. The Aussies even played a 3 day game in between matches here, we should be doing the same.
6. Have a better schedule for the County Championship. It needs to be uninterrupted throughout the summer. Have the One Day and T20 crap conclude by the time the County games commence. I have sympathy for batters and bowlers whose rhythms are constantly disrupted by stupid scheduling by the ECB.
Dong Ren Out.
00:59, Mon 9 Sep
They geared the summer up for a World Cup win at home and it worked. We've never won it before and it was great, stop wetting the bed so much about it.

I don't necessarily disagree about the red ball players but at the same time there is a lot to be said about character and several of those you mention showed it in abundance. England would have won at Lords without the rain and things would be different now, that's the game.

I love test cricket but I would have taken world cup over the Ashes this summer.
Revere me.
01:04, Mon 9 Sep
We've been pretty shoddy in Tests for a while now. The loss to Windies should have set some alarm bells off, failing that, the 83 all out against fecking Ireland. It's just not good enough, and this new Test Championship table will show we're one of the poorer sides in the world at the moment. It's not bed-wetting to be unhappy about the current state of the side.
Dong Ren Out.
01:09, Mon 9 Sep
LondonBlue
We've been pretty shoddy in Tests for a while now. The loss to Windies should have set some alarm bells off, failing that, the 83 all out against fecking Ireland. It's just not good enough, and this new Test Championship table will show we're one of the poorer sides in the world at the moment. It's not bed-wetting to be unhappy about the current state of the side.

Fair. I think a review will happen along the lines of what you want and things will improve a little. That said, it's still not unfair to say it's okay that our eyes were distracted a bit over the past few years in order to be the best in the world at a different form of the game. It paid off.
Revere me.
01:37, Mon 9 Sep
Totally agree with your comments. Root is not a captain and the sooner the selectors realise this the better. The obvious captain for me is Stokes. Agree that certain white ball players aren't the right players for Test Matches. We badly need an opener with Burns who has showed promise. Agree that Curran should come in, hopefully the next Test. There's a very fine in the Ashes between winning and losing and we could quite easily have been 2 1 up rather than 2 1 down. Think the changes we make should make us stronger
03:28, Mon 9 Sep
No need to worry, "The Hundred" will help fix all our technical deficiencies.
07:21, Mon 9 Sep
Bizarre isn't it that Australia fit in a 3 day game between tests, where as the England players haven't been allowed to play for their county since April.

During the last Ashes series down under, Aussie players played in the Big Bash between tests.

Some of the English batting has been a bit lacking in technique but, you have to remember the Aussies have a very good bowling attack.
What did the Knights in White satin?
09:35, Mon 9 Sep
Tall
Some of the English batting has been a bit lacking in technique but, you have to remember the Aussies have a very good bowling attack.

I do think we are beating ourselves up a bit too much overall.

It's not like we don't have problems to sort out - but the Aussies do have a very good bowling attack including the current best bowler in the world. Meanwhile we have been without our number one bowler for all but four overs of the series and have had other problems with bowlers.

Batting wise, you can't get round the fact that Smith being a complete freak has completely carried the Australian batting. Talk about papering over the cracks, he has re-plastered the entire house as far as their batting is concerned.

There is little or nothing between the teams really, but when you have a bloke averaging 150 - or whatever he is averaging, it's a game and series changer.
mad
09:45, Mon 9 Sep
Changes for the Oval.

1. Sibley
2. Burns
3. Denly
4. Moeen (captain)
5. Stokes
6. Buttler
7. Foakes (wk)
8. Rikki Clarke
9. Curran
10. Broad
11. Archer
09:50, Mon 9 Sep
Wolvobluenose
Osterberg
Anyone else just heard that Abdul Qadir has died?

One of the first leg spinners I ever saw and a fine one too: the bowler when Gatting has his spat with Shakoor Rana, I think?

If so, RIP

Confirmed - Abdul Qadir has indeed passed away aged 63.

RIP Sir

The news about Qadir appears to have been lost a bit, what a fabulous bowler.

People think Warne invented bullshit but he learned from the master. To hear him talk about all the different deliveries he had was fantastic, but most of it was bluff. He had the batsmen convinced the ball was spinning three different ways at once when it was often going straight on...and he had the umpires convinced as well.

Yes - he benefitted from very dodgy umpiring in his home tests, but he was a great entertainer.

I remember seeing him interviewed during that series where Gatting and Shakoor Rana had the bust up, Qadir was talking a good game about all the different deliveries he had bowled to get wickets and how right the umpires were to give them out. He was talking about how he bowled a perfect googly that spun back sharply and would have hit middle stump - then they showed a replay and the ball went straight on and would have missed by a mile. Then he talked about how he'd bowled a perfect top-spinner which Gatting had missed with a sweep and been pinned plumb lbw - then they showed a replay and it was a leg-break that turned a bit and again would have missed...but he was so convincing with his flim-flam it was hard to be angry at him.

I remember reading an interview with Imran and he said it was his idea before they came over in 82 that Qadir should grow his hair long and grow a goatee beard...just to make him look like a wizard and get in the English batsmen's minds even more.
09:50, Mon 9 Sep
Spike
Tall

I do think we are beating ourselves up a bit too much overall.

It's not like we don't have problems to sort out - but the Aussies do have a very good bowling attack including the current best bowler in the world. Meanwhile we have been without our number one bowler for all but four overs of the series and have had other problems with bowlers.

Batting wise, you can't get round the fact that Smith being a complete freak has completely carried the Australian batting. Talk about papering over the cracks, he has re-plastered the entire house as far as their batting is concerned.

There is little or nothing between the teams really, but when you have a bloke averaging 150 - or whatever he is averaging, it's a game and series changer.

It could have been a different series had Anderson not been injured after bowling 4 overs on the first day. Aside from missing him more generally, the weakened attack in the first test gave the Aussies the edge. That and Smith being freakishly good are the main differences really - the Aussies have bowled well, but so have Archer and Broad, and we’ve given wickets away too much (more or less all of Roy’s dismissals for example).
09:53, Mon 9 Sep
mad
8. Rikki Clarke

😱
09:54, Mon 9 Sep
Not sure Moeen is captain material either...