07:58, Tue 10 Sep
Mrs Bluesince has always wanted to go, so looking at 5 nights in December (she wants to go when the place is all Christmassy).
Virgin have a sale on right now, am I best off with them or have any of you well heeled sha'ers found a better way... Expedia etc.
Ta in advance for any tips.

I know it's been asked about before, but can't find it.
08:00, Tue 10 Sep
You'll rarely getter a better deal than booking your hotel and flight as a package on last minute or Expedia.
08:04, Tue 10 Sep
The Virgin sale is good at the moment.

Been to NY with both Virgin and BA previously
08:32, Tue 10 Sep
Amazing place.

Go to the top of the Rockafeller at night, so you can see the Empire State lit up - incredible views.

Take plenty of cash; it isn't cheap!
08:32, Tue 10 Sep
Book your flights and then get on Air bnb with a place in Williamsburg.

You can get into the tourist areas if that's your thing or go to some really neat places the locals hang at.

If you watch 'F##k, that's delicious' or the 'Pizza show' on Vice you'll find plenty of the eateries around the area that are featured in the show.
08:33, Tue 10 Sep
I'm sure you will both love it.
Top o the Rock is better than Empire State for views (coz the the empire state is in the view for 1 thing), less queueing, price. Night time city views are ace from the bar at the top of Kimpton Ink48 hotel in Hell's Kitchen. The hotel is pretty good too. Think about citypass, can save you a bit depending on what you want to do.
Finally make sure your cancellation insurance cover is OK (eg pay with barclaycard or similar). Around Christmas /New Year sometimes winter storms can very occasionally
close down all the airports and it's impossible to get in.
08:36, Tue 10 Sep
Thanks for the good advice already all πŸ‘
DES
08:38, Tue 10 Sep
Enjoy mr & mrs 62!
It’s a great city but potentially very cold then!
Take your warmest clothes and have a great time!
Kro
08:51, Tue 10 Sep
Be sure to check out skyscanner for separate flights as I snagged some direct return MAN-JFK with BA for £227 in June. If booking accommodation separate be careful with airbnb due to them being illegal under Manhattan laws so they are either fake or could be closed at any point leaving you to pay for another hotel.
09:09, Tue 10 Sep
Blimey.. Airbnb illegal! Was just looking, cheers for that mate.
09:09, Tue 10 Sep
Bluesince62
Mrs Bluesince has always wanted to go, so looking at 5 nights in December (she wants to go when the place is all Christmassy).
Virgin have a sale on right now, am I best off with them or have any of you well heeled sha'ers found a better way... Expedia etc.

New York is a great place, we went quite a few years ago for my 50th on boxing Day , but without urinating on your Parade BEWARE it was absolutely flipping freezing much colder than in the UK for that time of year it was about -20c

Oh and a little tip unless you want to get mega close to the statue of liberty the Staten Island ferry is free of charge and gets you reasonably close

As a matter of fact got a handy travel guide (me wifey ordered same one without realising) PM me a message I'll send it to you free of charge
09:10, Tue 10 Sep
Top man. Prepared for the cold it's what she wants!
09:26, Tue 10 Sep
Bluesince62

Ah mate, you'll love New York its the best place I have ever been two, beating Rome which is 2nd.

I always book my flights via skyscanner, really good website to use to compare different flights. Always worth checking different UK Airports as a comparison too as you can get cheaper deals depending how far you would fly from in the UK. Then accommodation you can go off any of the hotel sights such as expedia, booking.com or hotels.com etc, all fairly decent.

When you're over, make sure you buy the new York pass, I think it cost me a couple hundred dollars 4 years ago for a 4 day pass, if you intend to see most of the major attractions such as empire state, rockafeller, statue of liberty, any of the various museums etc then this pass is great for saving you money.

When over there, we did a broadway show which was excellent, we went to the stardust diner beforehand too and whilst the food there was okay, its worth it for the experience as all the staff there are broadway star hopefuls and they get up on the counter and sing, quite a unique experience.

I'd recommend doing a sports event too even if you don't like the sport you choose, purely for the fans experience of being at an American sports event, its again surreal. We did the baseball and loved it, was fantastic to go see yankee stadium.

Prices - whilst we went when the sterling was much stronger so obviously was cheaper for us, I still didn't find it an expensive place. Food is pricey in restaurants however you tend to find the portions are that big, you only need to eat twice a day rather than 3 times a day as you do here, and you don't really need starters either so it works out the same or cheaper in the end, unless your appetite is unreal. I found everything else to be moderately priced, no different than most places in Brum centre, again this was 4 years ago. Also the shopping was cheaper, got myself a couple pairs of levi jeans for a lot less than what I do here so depends what you find.

Finally - make sure you go the 911 memorial and museum, its a really interactive museum playing soundclips of people on the phone on the plane to their loved ones, news clips from the day etc. Really emotional but a must see it really is.

So much to see and do there, really jealous you'll love it