09:50, Tue 10 Sep
The 9/11 museum is one of the few places in New York I've been where I really wouldn't recommend.
I hated it. So morbid
09:58, Tue 10 Sep
blues
The 9/11 museum is one of the few places in New York I've been where I really wouldn't recommend.
I hated it. So morbid

Surely that's to be expected?
10:05, Tue 10 Sep
The memorial is lovely. Really nice and thought out.

Maybe worded that wrong about the museum. Found it more glorifying of such an horrific event.
DES
10:08, Tue 10 Sep
blues

Maybe worded that wrong about the museum. Found it more glorifying of such an horrific event.
I found it fascinating and I learnt so much about that terrible day through that visit!

KRO
10:22, Tue 10 Sep
Mrs Davenports and me went for a week last November with Virgin sale. Loved it ,stopped at The Roosevelt on Madison Avenue.
Watch out for the compulsory service charge at most NY hotels , up to $80 dollars pppn !
Ground zero is very moving and agree about the Staten ferry for viewing Statue of Liberty. Time Square at night is mind blowing and the grid system makes finding you way round a doddle. Also try to visit Central Station,very impressive.We was there for the Thanksgiving parade at Macy's with the giant balloons , very strange !
Loud, brash and lovely !
10:39, Tue 10 Sep
DES
DES
blues

I found it fascinating and I learnt so much about that terrible day through that visit!

KRO

It needs to be seen it really does ... beautiful how they cut out all the names all the way around the square

By the way one thing I can recommend is , if you're a film buff like myself download a map of famous film locations ...as well as doing all the landmarks..me and my wife visited a fair few film locations.however When we went we to search for the fire station from Ghostbusters..it was difficult to find and was covered in scaffolding which spoilt the photo opportunity, but some crackers from home alone 2 near Central park plus many more....also if you're after a nice hotel reasonably price is the Westin grand Central off 42nd east and 3rd AVE (If I remember correctly) it was virtually 300yrds from grand Central station and 5th avenue (5th avenue being the main stretch which divides east west sides)

Nice hotel just over from the Chrysler building

By the way my PMs are blocked by mods (Scoobers) so not sure how to send you this guide
11:42, Tue 10 Sep
Love New York and there's lots of good tips on here.

What I will say is that it's not as Christmassy as they make out on the TV. I was there over Christmas 2016 (wasn't actually that cold and the ice rink in Central Park was constantly having the surface water from the melted ice taken off) and was a little bit annoyed at how not Christmassy it was. The Rockerfeller tree is but being Christmas Eve or the 23rd it was rammed. The rest of New York didn't really have much of a Christmas feel, London gets much more Christmassy.

It's an awesome place in its own right but maybe don't get too excited for that part.
Revere me.
12:17, Tue 10 Sep
If you want proper classy Christmas go to Vienna. Beautiful in December.
13:19, Tue 10 Sep
Top man. Prepared for the cold it's what she wants!

Until you get there and she's giving you a hard time about not warning her how cold it will be :D
13:20, Tue 10 Sep
The Reverend
Love New York and there's lots of good tips on here.

What I will say is that it's not as Christmassy as they make out on the TV. I was there over Christmas 2016 (wasn't actually that cold and the ice rink in Central Park was constantly having the surface water from the melted ice taken off) and was a little bit annoyed at how not Christmassy it was. The Rockerfeller tree is but being Christmas Eve or the 23rd it was rammed. The rest of New York didn't really have much of a Christmas feel, London gets much more Christmassy.

It's an awesome place in its own right but maybe don't get too excited for that part.

Pretty much agree with all that ,as said when I went it was -20c couldn't feel my bottom lip

Also have to say they do have some really spectacular window displays

Oh another little suggestion the entrance to grand Central on 42nd street just opposite is a really nice buffet style old school restaurant/ cafe highly recommend and you must do China town and little Italy very authentic cuisine
13:20, Tue 10 Sep
If you want proper classy Christmas go to Vienna. Beautiful in December.

That’s a fair shout.

In fact, I would suggest most larger “Germanic” cities would be very much more Christmassy than NY.

Vienna though... 👏
@Bluewurst1875
DES
13:23, Tue 10 Sep
I was in vienna for an England game in winter of 2009! Never been so cold EVER!
the city was brilliant but being outdoors for more than a few mins was impossible!

KRO
13:26, Tue 10 Sep
DES
I live here. It's not very Chrismassy. Not like London. In fact, you won't see the word Christmas at all. Also, make sure you don't come before thanksgiving. Only then the lights go on.
13:36, Tue 10 Sep
scouty
I live here. It's not very Chrismassy. Not like London. In fact, you won't see the word Christmas at all. Also, make sure you don't come before thanksgiving. Only then the lights go on.

The only bad thing I can honestly say about NY was seeing German students lying on the floor at strawberry Fields central park posing for pics as if they'd been shot!!☹️ Incredibly tasteless and disrespectful
13:40, Tue 10 Sep
DES
NY or not, -20 degrees isn’t pleasant, no matter how wrapped up you are.

Its chuffing cold
@Bluewurst1875