13:20, Sat 5 Oct
Me and my daughter have been arguing over the meaning of a "showstopper".

Is it something bad (i.e. a potential problem that could muck everything in a project up)?

Or is it something good (i.e. something really amazing in a performance or event)?

I know what side I'm on.
13:22, Sat 5 Oct
Shawn Michaels
14:36, Sat 5 Oct

Is it something bad (i.e. a potential problem that could muck everything in a project up)?

Or is it something good (i.e. something really amazing in a performance or event)?

I know what side I'm on.

It's definitely meant to mean something amazing ... ie so good that it stops the show continuing until the applause has died down.
14:45, Sat 5 Oct
Haircut1000

I know what side I'm on.

It’s something really amazing in a performance or event.
15:56, Sat 5 Oct
Always been something bad and ‘stops the show’ for me.
15:58, Sat 5 Oct
Something amazing in an event, that stuns everyone, almost like ‘you can stop the show now because it doesn’t get any better than that’
Formerly Le Mod
16:06, Sat 5 Oct
I always assumed it came from the theatre/music world - essentially when something is done so well that it warrants lots of applause and the show stops until the applause dies down and they can carry on.
16:07, Sat 5 Oct
A homonym (in fact, a contranym) where the meaning differs depending on context, like many words in our incredible language.
16:09, Sat 5 Oct
Linked Image
Dong Ren Out.
in the world of projects its a problem that means the project can't continue until its resolved.
16:20, Sat 5 Oct
BromsgroveBlues
Shawn Michaels

Yep so good.
Revere me.
16:21, Sat 5 Oct
Haircut1000

I know what side I'm on.

Which one of you is the thicko?
Revere me.
16:23, Sat 5 Oct
Something good obviously.
16:59, Sat 5 Oct
I had only ever heard it as something bad. I've heard it used loads at work - are there any showstopppers out there? Potential problems that one would like to be aware of before they might make the shit hit the fan or cause inordinate delays and problems.