15:42, Tue 8 Oct
Hello all! Looking for the famous SHA forum infinite wisdom.

My phone contract is up at the end of the month, currently with vodafone. I have no interest in staying with them or upgrading but have never been in a position before where I have the ability to leave when my contract is up (always upgraded early because issues with a phone)

Query being what exactly happens when my phone contract is up? If I have no interest in staying would I need to tell them this? From what I have read online it says your tariff just continues at the same rate but looking to get a Sim Only deal going forward.

Thanks in Advance
BentsCokeParty
Hello all! Looking for the famous SHA forum infinite wisdom.

My phone contract is up at the end of the month, currently with vodafone. I have no interest in staying with them or upgrading but have never been in a position before where I have the ability to leave when my contract is up (always upgraded early because issues with a phone)

Query being what exactly happens when my phone contract is up? If I have no interest in staying would I need to tell them this? From what I have read online it says your tariff just continues at the same rate but looking to get a Sim Only deal going forward.

Thanks in Advance

It'll roll over at exactly the same price if you don't do anything, so you're in effect paying to rent a phone you've already paid for. If you're happy with the phone, work out the best SIM only deal and either go elsewhere, or ring Vodaphone to cancel and get them to offer you the same terms. Go month to month if you think you'll want a new phone soon, or a SIM only contract for longer if you can hack keeping the old phone a while. I usually go month by month for a bit, and then eventually decide on a new phone.
JCL
15:55, Tue 8 Oct
Pretty much what he said.
You don’t need to tell them, you will just go onto a rolling 1 month contract at your previous price, which will be more than a SIM only deal as you are still ‘paying’ for the phone you have already paid for.
If you are with Vodafone and happy with the coverage then I recommend these chaps
[www.voxi.co.uk]

Mentioned them a little while ago on here.

My Vodafone contract was up and I had bought a phone separately.

£10 a month for 6GB of data (any social media site doesn’t count to your data use) – unlimited calls and texts, is a rolling month by month contract so can cancel/move at any time.
It is also Vodafone, just by a different name, you can click a few buttons on their site and get moved over without having to get a new SIM or change your number. I did have an on-line chat with them as there were some settings I needed to update, however it was painless and quick.
You also need go and unblock adult content, this used to be a part of Vodafone for under 16s. but now available to everyone.

If you are keen I can PM you a link to use and you get a £10 Amazon card.
It's always easier to believe something than understand it.
15:58, Tue 8 Oct
Not sure how much you pay monthly however if you are happy with your phone, go sim only. Cheapest method.
16:15, Tue 8 Oct
Im currently debating whether to get a new phone or not. Im getting married next year and also saving for a mortgage currently, a new phone isnt a necessity as it currently stands, and my phone currently works fine as it is, even if I am not a big fan of it.

Only thing I am certain of is I want rid of vodafone. I currently pay around £47 a month. Service is rubbish a good chunk of the time and tbh they have annoyed me a handful of times. Was going to leave them 2 years ago, but my phone broke 3 months before the end of my contract and didnt have the money to stump up to buy a new one or to get it properly repaired so went for an upgrade.

Appreciate the advice, going to have a look on compare the market for a sim only deal but may also have a look around at new phone contracts out of curiosity.
16:20, Tue 8 Oct
my contract was always billed in two parts, one was a monthly payment for the phone and the other was for the airtime.
When the phone purchase was completed (24 months) the Bill reduced to just the cost of the air time.
Be aware some providers increase your airtime bill once you are out of contract with them because you had a cheaper longer term (24 months) contract initially.

P.S. I am still trying to find a network provider that will work in the kop at st Andrews, all suggestions welcome.
21:51, Tue 8 Oct
go onto uswitch. Sim only plans will blow your mind if you have been used to paying £47 a month.

Another vote for Voxi. Got 8gb for £8 a month. i have never used any data on the network either and use a fair bit of 4g. Ain’t complaining thou!
08:02, Wed 9 Oct
I'm with BT (which is handy cos I have my landline and broadband with them) and I pay £18 per month for 30Gb (sim only). Works fine in the UK, roaming isn't great though
08:40, Wed 9 Oct
If you move to SIM only from a contract can you keep the same number?

Also, I have my internet gig allowance available in overseas countries (EU, USA etc). Do you get that with a SIM only?
08:47, Wed 9 Oct
Spying Cop

Yes...

You can carry your old number forward to new contracts, sim only and different providers.
09:06, Wed 9 Oct
Spying Cop

Also, I have my internet gig allowance available in overseas countries (EU, USA etc). Do you get that with a SIM only?

Yeah, you can port it across, I did it from EE to BT.
09:11, Wed 9 Oct
El Mayor
I'm with BT (which is handy cos I have my landline and broadband with them) and I pay £18 per month for 30Gb (sim only). Works fine in the UK, roaming isn't great though
I think EE are doing unlimited data for £10 per month
[store.three.co.uk]
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
10:03, Wed 9 Oct
Rab C Nesbitt
El Mayor
I think EE are doing unlimited data for £10 per month
[store.three.co.uk]

They are shit for existing customers, why I left them.
10:04, Wed 9 Oct
Fair play. Never been with them tbf. Bloody cheap though
Fat Buddha - 'Rab C Nesbitt. He's a contrary fecker, but invariably right. He has his finger on the motherfecking pulse.'
10:13, Wed 9 Oct
Mine too - assume you're with O2? I've been sim only with them since my contract finished over 2 years ago. Must admit though, the price of the sim only deal has gone up a lot so perhaps it's time I looked around for a better deal.