20:05, Mon 4 Nov
I.P.F
Obviously Fulham 1975.

It's hard to explain to anyone who wasn't around at the time just how utterly devastating that fluke result was. Blues looked nailed-on to at least get to the FA Cup Final and had a very good chance of winning the Cup, although to be fair West Ham had a good team.

Winning the cup that year would have changed everything, but it all went tits-up from that day onwards.

I have a couple of mates who were season ticket holders, regular away supporters, who were so shattered by the events at Maine Road that day that they have never been down the Blues again, right up to today. That's how significant the defeat was. It changed lives.

Christ knows, Blues fans are a resilient bunch and don't expect a lot, we're fully hardened to disappointment, but that result and the nature of the defeat was just too much for many people to take.

I know this all sounds terribly melodramatic, but if you weren't there it's impossible to explain how crushing, soul-destroying and pivotal it was in the history of this club.
m

Only time I’ve ever cried after a football match. ‘Crushing’ was, indeed, the word. I remember turning to a mate in the last minute to say that there was no way I could afford to get to the second replay, set for Highbury IIRC. Then silence. That goal was a real kick in the guts- never had a feeling like it.
Cowinbovril
20:08, Mon 4 Nov
B_C_F_C
WBA - Villa Park - 1968.

This is the correct andwer
20:33, Mon 4 Nov
100% the correct answer
20:40, Mon 4 Nov
Mr Driscoll
I.P.F
Obviously Fulham 1975.

It's hard to explain to anyone who wasn't around at the time just how utterly devastating that fluke result was. Blues looked nailed-on to at least get to the FA Cup Final and had a very good chance of winning the Cup, although to be fair West Ham had a good team.

Winning the cup that year would have changed everything, but it all went tits-up from that day onwards.

I have a couple of mates who were season ticket holders, regular away supporters, who were so shattered by the events at Maine Road that day that they have never been down the Blues again, right up to today. That's how significant the defeat was. It changed lives.

Christ knows, Blues fans are a resilient bunch and don't expect a lot, we're fully hardened to disappointment, but that result and the nature of the defeat was just too much for many people to take.

I know this all sounds terribly melodramatic, but if you weren't there it's impossible to explain how crushing, soul-destroying and pivotal it was in the history of this club.
m

Only time I’ve ever cried after a football match. ‘Crushing’ was, indeed, the word. I remember turning to a mate in the last minute to say that there was no way I could afford to get to the second replay, set for Highbury IIRC. Then silence. That goal was a real kick in the guts- never had a feeling like it.

Crushing is probably not a great word to use to be fair.
Revere me.
21:30, Mon 4 Nov
Liverpool in the cup final, 2 cups in my lifetime
DES
21:33, Mon 4 Nov
The Reverend
Mr Driscoll
I.P.F
Obviously Fulham 1975.

m

Crushing is probably not a great word to use to be fair.
That drive back from Maine Rd, four of us in a mini, biblical rainfall and almost total silence, all four in mental anguish.
Never reacted like that before or after over football.
Kro
21:38, Mon 4 Nov
number8
Yeah, not 86, my mistake. I try not to think about it if I can help it, it's still the most gutted I've ever been after a game.

Yes I'm with you on this one, a lot of people forget about this match and point to the Fulham 75 semi, but for me this was the pivotal match of the 80's if not the last 30 years of the century. We were in great form and Ron Saunders looked to have pulled off the impossible, building a decent Blues side on next to no money, even if the football was a little brutal Think we were 10th in the 1st Division going into this.

John Barnes absolutely destroyed us on the day, and we simply never recovered. Started a slide to the bottom and we ended up being narrowly relegated. That meant the exit of key players like Mick Harford, Noel Blake, Tony Coton, Howard Gayle who we never replaced, and the rest of the 80's was a horror show as far as Blues were concerned.

43,000 watched this game in 84. Be surprised if there was 6,000 watching our last home game of the 80's, which would have been in the old Division 3. That's how pivotal this match was. I've hated Watford ever since.
montypenguin
number8
Yeah, not 86, my mistake. I try not to think about it if I can help it, it's still the most gutted I've ever been after a game.

Yes I'm with you on this one, a lot of people forget about this match and point to the Fulham 75 semi, but for me this was the pivotal match of the 80's if not the last 30 years of the century. We were in great form and Ron Saunders looked to have pulled off the impossible, building a decent Blues side on next to no money, even if the football was a little brutal Think we were 10th in the 1st Division going into this.

John Barnes absolutely destroyed us on the day, and we simply never recovered. Started a slide to the bottom and we ended up being narrowly relegated. That meant the exit of key players like Mick Harford, Noel Blake, Tony Coton, Howard Gayle who we never replaced, and the rest of the 80's was a horror show as far as Blues were concerned.

43,000 watched this game in 84. Be surprised if there was 6,000 watching our last home game of the 80's, which would have been in the old Division 3. That's how pivotal this match was. I've hated Watford ever since.

mad to think we got about 11k for the league game v watford in same season. Then again, that was the cup then, difficult to explain to the younger fans

The mind plays tricks. i would have gambled my house that Barnes goal in tilton end was a 25 yarder. Looking again on youtube he actually strikes it a couple of yards Inside the box. Woulnt have said that from memory
Yeah I would have said the same, either way it was an absolute pearler, lobbed over the head of Coton (who was no short-arse) and down in time to hit the back of the net. The fecker was unplayable that day, shame he never performed as well in an England shirt!
22:08, Mon 4 Nov
Bluestaines
I suspect a bigger game for us to have won in terms of the ultimate affect on our future may have been the '56 FA Cup Final. Doubt there's anybody on here that can recall that one though.

Those teams between '55 and '63 were almost certainly the best Blues will ever have:

'56 = FA Cup Finalists and 6th in the top flight
'57 = FA Cup Semi Finalists (losing to the legendary Busby Babes) and 12th in the top flight
'58 = Inter Cities Fairs Cup Semi Finals, losing to eventual winners Barcelona, and 13th in the top flight
'59 = 9th in the top flight
'60 = first British club to reach a European final, losing again to Barcelona
'61 = again, losing finalists in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, losing to Roma
'63 = League Cup winners
22:33, Mon 4 Nov
John_Smullen
Balti
...which one would it be?

In my lifetime, probably the defeat at Fulham in 2008. A win there would have kept us up, would have stopped all the subsequent oppoborium flying at G&S that ended up with them flogging the club to Yeung and I think we would have (relatively speaking) thrived from thereon.

Fulham, Maine rd 1975

Close thread.
This.
07:52, Tue 5 Nov
Bluestaines
Super Hans
Balti
The season before the Fulham semi Blues finished 19th in the League. The season after Blues finished 19th. The season of the semi itself Blues finished 17th.

I do wonder if that team was really as bloody brilliant as some make out to be honest.

I always laugh at how some people rave about how winning that would've made us this massive club. Some teams that won it between 1975 & 1985:

Southampton
Ipswich
West Ham
QPR
Brighton

And they're all fecking massive now.

Not sure Brighton won during those years? I recall them losing a replay to Man Utd after having a one-on-one chance to score the winner in the first game in injury time which was saved by the Utd keeper.

As for Blues, my own personal choices would be the Fulham semi final (I wasn't there but listening to what was BRMB at the time) and the Liverpool final at Cardiff which I was at. But I suspect a bigger game for us to have won in terms of the ultimate affect on our future may have been the '56 FA Cup Final. Doubt there's anybody on here that can recall that one though.

Or prepared to admit it.
08:25, Tue 5 Nov
You'd have to be (at the very least) in your early 70s to remember Blues playing in an FA Cup final. That's rather depressing.
08:53, Tue 5 Nov
Probably the Cup Final in 2001 at Cardiff which I was at. We should have had a penalty in extra time but the ref bottled it. Considering the Liverpool team we were playing who won 3 cups that season, we did really well and deserved to win that game.
09:21, Tue 5 Nov
When you look at how Liverpool won the three trophies they won that season you realise they had the luck of the devil:

League Cup: Beating us, a 2nd Division side, on pens after the ref botched a decision that should have given us another penalty.

FA Cup: Beating an Arsenal team who bottled it in the final with two late goals

UEFA Cup: Beating Alaves, a nothing side really, with an own goal in the last minute of extra time.