10:59, Wed 6 Nov
fradge
Balti
BlueStorm
Isn't it normal process anyway that the Manager selects players his like and others negotiate the deal?
But the manager isn't picking these players.

I'd be worried if we hadn't such a good summer transfer window.

Sunjic, Crowley & Villalba are all very young & already excellent.

Ramos was at Real Madrid til 19 - so hopes are high there.

It's a lot more encouraging than when Redknapp was in charge.
Harry Redknapp didn't pick the players we signed during the summer he was at the club.
11:02, Wed 6 Nov
Neither did Ren.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:03, Wed 6 Nov
Bluesince62
Mayor actually said 'Speakman is Sporting Director in all but name'. Perhaps you missed that bit. What do you think a Sporting Director does?
I misread that bit about Speakman, where I actually thought he said that Speakman was Sporting Director in name only.

Fair enough. Listen, I'm one of Dongs biggest critics, but this summers activity speaks for itself and I'm prepared to believe he can and maybe is learning from his mistakes (and yes he was treating us like Fifa FM 2018). If he is indeed taking advice from Pep and Speakman on players then to me, that is fine and certainly better than the Redknapp/Dein/Vetere shambles we had.
11:09, Wed 6 Nov
Bluesince62
Bluesince62
Mayor actually said 'Speakman is Sporting Director in all but name'. Perhaps you missed that bit. What do you think a Sporting Director does?
I misread that bit about Speakman, where I actually thought he said that Speakman was Sporting Director in name only.

Fair enough. Listen, I'm one of Dongs biggest critics, but this summers activity speaks for itself and I'm prepared to believe he can and maybe is learning from his mistakes (and yes he was treating us like Fifa FM 2018). If he is indeed taking advice from Pep and Speakman on players then to me, that is fine and certainly better than the Redknapp/Dein/Vetere shambles we had.

It does feel like the best summer we've had in quite a few years though.

They're going after young players with something to prove & that feels like the right formula for us.
11:11, Wed 6 Nov
To clarify, nobody is now saying Ren is now an incredible CEO who we all love. He still needs to feck off out of the club, but I will give paise where it's due and he's done some good business.

Hopefully it's signs of a change and not just dumb luck.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
11:31, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
BlueStorm
Isn't it normal process anyway that the Manager selects players his like and others negotiate the deal?

We don't have a manager.

We have a coach.

That is quite normal in football...
Old MacDonald had a farm. EU, EU... Oh.
11:31, Wed 6 Nov
Rasputin
That is some very good photoshopping for that picture...

Eh?
11:34, Wed 6 Nov
Super Hans
To clarify, nobody is now saying Ren is now an incredible CEO who we all love. He still needs to feck off out of the club, but I will give paise where it's due and he's done some good business.

Hopefully it's signs of a change and not just dumb luck.

Basically, this. If you're going to criticise someone for doing things wrong then it's only fair to praise when they do something well.
11:35, Wed 6 Nov
Rasputin
Balti
BlueStorm

We don't have a manager.

We have a coach.

That is quite normal in football...
It is, but it's still normal for a club to have a manager in the more traditional sense and for me that is by far the best thing to have. The Manager picks the team and decides who to sell and buy and the CEO counts the beans.
11:50, Wed 6 Nov
it is a very inefficient way to run a football club in the modern game. It is fine if you have a manager for 3-5 years plus but this very rarely happens nowadays. You need a sporting director to create a club philosophy which the manager must adhere to, otherwise you end up chopping and changing philosophies with the different managers. Look at Man U for example. They have signed players for different philosophies and now they are left with a mismatch of shite.
11:51, Wed 6 Nov
El Mayor
Rasputin
That is some very good photoshopping for that picture...

Eh?

I was being sarcastic about the picture of Bela holding a blues shirt...
Old MacDonald had a farm. EU, EU... Oh.
11:59, Wed 6 Nov
cjm1908
it is a very inefficient way to run a football club in the modern game. It is fine if you have a manager for 3-5 years plus but this very rarely happens nowadays.
Yet you find the ones that do have Managers in place for that long have usually done well in that time. Maybe clubs and fans should be more patient with managers.
You need a sporting director to create a club philosophy which the manager must adhere to
Or you could just get a decent manager in place and let him mould the team using his own "philosophy" (a hipster footballing buzzword I can't abide btw)
otherwise you end up chopping and changing philosophies with the different managers
You don't chop and change if you get a decent manager in place and give them time.
Look at Man U for example. They have signed players for different philosophies and now they are left with a mismatch of shite.
Quite the contrary, I actually think Manchester United's state of flux stems from the fact that they haven't got a dictator in there running that club top to bottom as Ferguson did. Once they find another one of those they'll be alright.
12:01, Wed 6 Nov
Doesn't Ed Woodward sign all the players for United? (Manchester United for all the pedants)
12:05, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
cjm1908
it is a very inefficient way to run a football club in the modern game. It is fine if you have a manager for 3-5 years plus but this very rarely happens nowadays.
Yet you find the ones that do have Managers in place for that long have usually done well in that time. Maybe clubs and fans should be more patient with managers.
You need a sporting director to create a club philosophy which the manager must adhere to
Or you could just get a decent manager in place and let him mould the team using his own "philosophy" (a hipster footballing buzzword I can't abide btw)
otherwise you end up chopping and changing philosophies with the different managers
You don't chop and change if you get a decent manager in place and give them time.
Look at Man U for example. They have signed players for different philosophies and now they are left with a mismatch of shite.
Quite the contrary, I actually think Manchester United's state of flux stems from the fact that they haven't got a dictator in there running that club top to bottom as Ferguson did. Once they find another one of those they'll be alright.

What's the average tenure for a Manager now?

Look at how Southampton have done it.

Their philosophy seems to have survived multiple changes of manager.

The chance of getting a really good one who is happy to stay after he's shown what he can do seems quite low.

Better to factor regular changes into your planning as it will probably happen whether you like it or not.
12:22, Wed 6 Nov
I think you are living in the past. Guardiola does not pick the players for man city. He may have a say but he does not bring a list to the table. He tells Txiki Begiristain that they need a new centre half and he will go and source one. Only 2 premier league clubs now operate without a director of football. Man U and Sheff Utd