08:49, Thu 7 Nov
jefflynneshair
'From what I know, transfers are solely being handled now by club CEO Ren Xuandong and Kristjaan Speakman, who appears to be Sporting Director in all but name.'

If this is true then we are in big trouble.

Pep pretty much told us this at the start of the season. We previously believed it was just Ren. Very glad Kristjaan is on board though, I highly rate him.
08:57, Thu 7 Nov
Balti
newblue
Balti
newblue
Exactly. Mayor says ‘the club’ is identifying targets and the two blokes are ‘handling transfers’. There’s nothing wrong with that and a world removed from the model where managers had a very murky part in buying and selling. Only made worse where agents are involved.
Why is it murky that a football manager chooses which players to buy and sell?

I think you’ve misrepresented what I wrote. I didn’t say ‘chooses’, I talked about managers having a very active part in settling the sum and terms of player purchase and sale within which practice wide boys like Fry and Redknapp thrived.
When Fry was at Blues he had nothing do with the money side of things, he chose the players and Brady sorted the money out. Here the CEO is choosing the players and sorting out the money, there is the inherent difference.

The only Manager to have control over who is bought and sold at Blues in the past few months is Monk. I suspect his resistance to changing that is as pivotal a factor as any as to why he left.
If you’re ok with shady dealings, money passed illicitly and so on, perhaps it doesn’t bother you - maybe you regard it as ‘incentive’ rather than corruption. You mention Ferguson, I seem to recall some of his dealings and the involvement of his son as an agent fell into the ‘interesting’ category.
I don't find Ferguson's dealings interesting at all, I don't know why you are so bothered by "shady dealings" tbh. Managers, Executives, Agents etc can all bung eachother as much as they like as far as I'm concerned as long as their teams perform on the pitch.

If bungs are being paid, then you're pretty much guaranteed to be over-paying for the player you're getting.
08:57, Thu 7 Nov
Jameron Cerome
jefflynneshair
'From what I know, transfers are solely being handled now by club CEO Ren Xuandong and Kristjaan Speakman, who appears to be Sporting Director in all but name.'

Pep pretty much told us this at the start of the season. We previously believed it was just Ren. Very glad Kristjaan is on board though, I highly rate him.
Why?
09:10, Thu 7 Nov
Jameron Cerome
jefflynneshair

We were told that there was a team of people that looked after recruitment of which, our Permanent Caretaker Manager was a part. Mayor's article suggests (although does not state clearly) that Ren and Speakman are now dealing with transfers. One is unqualified and the other has decent attributes on Football Manager.
@stevanderman
09:27, Thu 7 Nov
jefflynneshair
Jameron Cerome
jefflynneshair

We were told that there was a team of people that looked after recruitment of which, our Permanent Caretaker Manager was a part. Mayor's article suggests (although does not state clearly) that Ren and Speakman are now dealing with transfers. One is unqualified and the other has decent attributes on Football Manager.

Kristjaan Speakman has been at the club since 2006 and was promoted to Technical Director in July this year.

At that time it was reported that he would be heavily involved in first-team transfers alongside Ren and Gannan Zheng (Edward).

He is obviously highly thought of.
17:44, Thu 7 Nov
Plus it’s illegal. It’s ridiculous to say it doesn’t matter anyway. If it hasn’t done more harm than good in clubs i’d Be amazed.
18:00, Thu 7 Nov
I’m amazed a bit of good news turned that quickly to negativity 😂

Can we just embrace the fact we’ve gone and secured something fans have been crying out for all season, a bit of pace?
19:59, Thu 7 Nov
I’m amazed a bit of good news turned that quickly to negativity 😂

Can we just embrace the fact we’ve gone and secured something fans have been crying out for all season, a bit of pace?

Christ this.
07:38, Fri 8 Nov
Whoever is doing it is obviously doing a good job, I couldn't imagine the wealth of talent that we now have within our ranks in the close season. Well done whoever you are!
09:22, Fri 8 Nov
Sunic and Crowley are quality additions. Other than that I am not sure we have a wealth of talent although clearly the strength of the squad is improving.
09:24, Fri 8 Nov
steve aerobic
Whoever is doing it is obviously doing a good job, I couldn't imagine the wealth of talent that we now have within our ranks in the close season. Well done whoever you are!

This, I thought we were going to get relegated.

Also in response to the comment above about us not having the quality (I know some of these were already here...)

Colin
Crowley
Bellingham
Sunjic
Villalba
Bela
Montero

That's some bloody exciting players at this level there.
09:55, Fri 8 Nov
Whilst 'giving credit where it's due' is being discussed - along with the positive turnaround in recruitment coupled with (at times) performance improvements on the pitch, it also should be noted that the club is trying to introduce a policy where academy players are able to actually progress into the first team and become regulars. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this and a lot of potential benefits, but it's probably not that easy to do in a team which was having problems in recent times and could have backfired badly. Personally, I think they all deserve credit for making this happen quite quickly, seamlessly and successfully and I for one am delighted to see my club go down this route.

I don't care who is calling the shots on transfers or anything else as long as they continue to do things logically, sensibly, successfully, within the rules and in a manner designed to achieve long-term success. KRO.
11:01, Fri 8 Nov
In a lot of ways transfer embargo's work because it forces the club's into using home grown talent, just look at us and Chelsea....coincidence?
11:04, Fri 8 Nov
Apart from Bellingham, all our starters were transfers...
Thongs
Number8 is the worlds best forum poster. FACT. End of chat.
11:10, Fri 8 Nov
But we have used under 23s on numerous occasions this season mostly to good effect and often have several on the bench, it's good to get them used to the first team squad and to get time on the pitch