21:03, Mon 2 Dec
👍
21:12, Mon 2 Dec
Don't think I could handle my little mate going, thoughts with you mate, as said above, you gave an animal an amazing life. KRO.
21:36, Mon 2 Dec
So very sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. Over the years, we've had to have 3 dogs and 1 cat put to sleep (I've lost of cats but only ever had to have 1 PTS). I couldn't be there for 2 of the dogs - hubby had to do it. He was in bits, I was in bits, the kids were in bits. I finally decided that I had to be there for the (19 year old) cat and for my beloved Rhodesian Ridgeback - it hurt, it really hurt - but I knew that it was for the best and that gave me some comfort afterwards.
00:51, Tue 3 Dec
Thanks Mo and for all the other kind responses from everyone else. It does help. SHA is ace at times.
03:13, Tue 3 Dec
Bloody hell Bluesince. So sorry. I’ve got 4 grown up ish, children my first dog and 2 cats.
Benji our springer Spaniel is on the slippery slope I fear. 12 yrs old, beaten cancer twice, riddled with lumps now we’ve accepted it’s going to take him. His breathing is poor, his spine is fused, so has hip displacia, he has no control of bowel movements and we are just ‘picking up the pieces’ litterally!

He’s happy in himself and loves life. He can still swim and waddles while his rear legs keep failing.
He loves us as we love him. He can’t talk but his eyes speak volumes. He has his medicalm to get through the pain but he’s close to the recommended maximum dosage.
We are going to have to make that decision soon.
Thanks for sharing your loss as it’s put me in the picture as to what I should expect.

Hope you move on and remember all the good times x
04:19, Tue 3 Dec
We rescued 2 Mexican street dogs who were both riddled with tumours but after a small (Mexican) fortune on operations and chemo they ate both fine and love their new pampered lifestyle. My little chihuahua attacked the put bull of the local neighbourhood cartel king a few weeks ago but luckily he laughed. When we retire I am going to look at getting people in Blighty to adopt a street dog ftom here. Whenever people tell me how warm Latin people are I just think of the heartbreaking sights I see every day of terribly treated animals and scoff at the comments.
07:12, Tue 3 Dec
Good on you Sopwith, you are doing your bit there 👍
07:18, Tue 3 Dec
Bloody hell Bluesince. So sorry. I’ve got 4 grown up ish, children my first dog and 2 cats.
Benji our springer Spaniel is on the slippery slope I fear. 12 yrs old, beaten cancer twice, riddled with lumps now we’ve accepted it’s going to take him. His breathing is poor, his spine is fused, so has hip displacia, he has no control of bowel movements and we are just ‘picking up the pieces’ litterally!

He’s happy in himself and loves life. He can still swim and waddles while his rear legs keep failing.
He loves us as we love him. He can’t talk but his eyes speak volumes. He has his medicalm to get through the pain but he’s close to the recommended maximum dosage.
We are going to have to make that decision soon.
Thanks for sharing your loss as it’s put me in the picture as to what I should expect.

Hope you move on and remember all the good times x

Already begun to laugh a bit with the Mrs and kids over some of the things he got up too 👍
I won't lie mate, it's heartbreaking to go through, our Bruno was much the same as your Springy, he still got excited about a walk even the day before we had to take him to the vets, although we only got 20 yards before he'd had enough. Think I knew then he was done and was suffering too much, his breathing was like he had just run a mile.
Only thing I'll say and again, won't lie as it is a bloody hard thing to go through, is be there at the end with him.
I was talking to and fussing mine the whole way through the injection and made sure the last thing he saw was me, don't let him be in a room full of strangers when he goes
Best of luck mate 💙
08:52, Tue 3 Dec
Alfie is so gorgeous
MADE IN BRUM - BLUENOSE FANZINE - ONLY 30 BOB!
08:59, Tue 3 Dec
So sorry for your loss. It's one of the most heartbreaking things you can go through.
MADE IN BRUM - BLUENOSE FANZINE - ONLY 30 BOB!
09:05, Tue 3 Dec
💙👍
JCL
09:38, Tue 3 Dec
Sad time. I am dreading the day my elderly cat Swish has to go, she has helped me through some tough times. I think of it sometimes when I’m with her and have to shake it off, just can’t contemplate it at the moment.

Anyone who says ‘it’s just a dog/cat’ has clearly never given absolute love to an animal and received it back.

I’ve only ever had rescue animals and think that helps when they pass as you know you have given them love, security and a second chance at life, which is all you can do. Also means that by passing they have now given another animal in need a chance of the same love, security and happiness they are craving.

It may be too soon, it may not, but somewhere, in a rescue shelter, is a scared lonely hound just waiting for someone to come along and stroke, fuss, love and protect them. Sounds like you would be the perfect place for it to find it’s forever home!
The only thing we dislike more than injustice is inconvenience
10:27, Tue 3 Dec
JCL
👍
11:40, Tue 3 Dec
Had exactly the same with our staffy at the end of September, as his eye had been playing up and found him riddled with cancer too. It's absolutely heartbreaking, but like you, we held him while they put him to sleep.

The worse part was coming home and telling the kids as they idolized him, but we paid for him to be cremated through Prestwood Pet Crematorium (it's not cheap, but an absolutely fantastic service), so we have him back home now and have made a little shrine for him.

It does gets better with time, although there's still times I hear a noise and think it's him, but just try and think of the times you had with him and know that one day, you'll meet him at the rainbow bridge.
11:43, Tue 3 Dec
JCL
JCL
Sad time. I am dreading the day my elderly cat Swish has to go, she has helped me through some tough times. I think of it sometimes when I’m with her and have to shake it off, just can’t contemplate it at the moment.

Anyone who says ‘it’s just a dog/cat’ has clearly never given absolute love to an animal and received it back.

I’ve only ever had rescue animals and think that helps when they pass as you know you have given them love, security and a second chance at life, which is all you can do. Also means that by passing they have now given another animal in need a chance of the same love, security and happiness they are craving.

It may be too soon, it may not, but somewhere, in a rescue shelter, is a scared lonely hound just waiting for someone to come along and stroke, fuss, love and protect them. Sounds like you would be the perfect place for it to find it’s forever home!

A round of applause for all of that. Absolutely spot on. You do have to shake that feeling off - I had that with my old boy, Murray, who was seventeen when he died, just over four years ago. The feeling of dread as he got older was horrible, but I just had to enjoy his company and not worry about the inevitable. Of course, that was pretty impossible as I saw him getting weaker. my word, that dog was (and still is) loved and missed. I became his carer really and worked from home full time to be with him, which was a bloody privilege. Well, it was for me, anyway...

When he had to be put to sleep, it was peaceful - if someone had offered me a life-changing sum of money to NOT be with him at the end, I'd have turned it down, genuinely. I was absolutely in tatters afterwards, and then a customer of mine sent me an email with a link to a story about a dog that was unwanted in a rescue shelter. It was far too soon after our loss - or at least that was my initial thought - and then after about two seconds I realised what you'd written above - there was another creature that needed help. This one had 'special needs', thanks to less than kind humans. Anyway, four and a half years later, this 'unwanted' dog is the king of the house, spoilt to pieces and absolutely bloody worshipped.

I felt disloyal to Murray for a while, but that was illogical and in the end I realised that I'd got the best of both worlds - Murray wasn't with us any more, and nothing could have changed that, but I go to miss him and love him just the same, but at the same time was able to give a home to another dog that I love equally. He hasn't replaced him - he didn't have to - but it's a fantastic feeling being able to give another dog a great life, a dog that had eight crap years.

And that's the important bit - not how we feel, because we all know that we'll be devastated at losing our pet, but we can rationalise and see that it's giving them a good life that counts, and there's plenty out there that need ssomeone to love them. And what a great life BS62 has given to that dog, right up to - and including, very very importantly - the end. You should be proud, mate.
@6strings4paws