00:42, Tue 4 Feb
Just enjoyed this programme on bbc1. Mon 3 Feb.
A terrific social history documentary, covering the period of Irish settlement in Birmingham from the 50s. If you missed it, catch it on bbc4 on Wednesday at 9pm.
Lots of sights and references that should gel with Brummies; Irish Brummies & Blues, including several pubs in the Digbeth area. Presented by a charismatic Irish Brummie, Angela Moran. She is surely Blue.
thanks, As a County Sparkhillian of 2 x irish folks who came here in 60s that sounds interesting

Bbc4 on wed 9pm, is that right? just checked schedule and dont see it?
01:02, Tue 4 Feb
That's my cousin. She was great. Our family is split pretty much half-way, when it comes to supporting 2nd city football teams. Sorry to say, despite growing up southside of the city, she doesn't support the Blues
the king loves me
Bordesley not Small Heath
thanks, As a County Sparkhillian of 2 x irish folks who came here
that sounds interesting

It's a week Weds, 12th Feb, on BBC4
the king loves me
01:04, Tue 4 Feb
Casper
that sounds interesting

Or on the iPlayer, from tonight..... [www.bbc.co.uk]
the king loves me
Casper
that sounds interesting

cheers
Casper, who was from Kilmovee?

Thanks for the heads up was a really good watch.
Pass on congrats to Angela. Great work!
01:14, Tue 4 Feb
Casper
That's my cousin. She was great. Our family is split pretty much half-way, when it comes to supporting 2nd city football teams. Sorry to say, despite growing up southside of the city, she doesn't support the Blues

You have a cousin to be proud of. She gave the programme real authenticity and feeling. So sorry that she’s not Blue. We can’t all be perfect, I guess.
01:17, Tue 4 Feb
1 Banana
Casper, who was from Kilmovee?

Thanks for the heads up was a really good watch.
Pass on congrats to Angela. Great work!

My Grandad was born in Kilmovee. Moved over here, then moved back when my Mom was 6m old, so she lived in that little clapped out stone cottage until she was 6yrs, then they all moved back to Brum, where he lived ever since, working at Cadbury's from the 50's until the 80's. Kilmovee is close to all of our hearts.
the king loves me
01:18, Tue 4 Feb
SOBLUE
Casper

You have a cousin to be proud of. She gave the programme real authenticity and feeling. So sorry that she’s not Blue. We can’t all be perfect, I guess.

Yeah, she did us all proud. Her first ever TV appearance too. Great family/community.
the king loves me
Following on from the post re the Birmingham Irish programme last night. Got me wondering how many of us on SHA have a bit or a lot of Irish in our blood? If you have do you embrace your inner paddy or try to pretend you're all engerland?
07:53, Tue 4 Feb
Born in Brum but family and ancestors Irish, from Cork and Limerick.

See myself as Brummie Irish Brit, with all the contradictions that follow.

Would like to add Small Heath to that description, as that’s where I grew up, but was informed while drinking in the Emerald at the weekend, by one of the very few of my contemporaries who still lives there, that I’m merely a ‘tourist’ in that respect.
Cowinbovril

I'm confident that in a year or so we'll look back at lockdown as a big mistake. It's not a tried and tested policy. It was an experiment TIlton Rifle 8/8/20
MSM
07:58, Tue 4 Feb
Mr Driscoll
Born in Brum but family and ancestors Irish, from Cork and Limerick.

See myself as Brummie Irish Brit, with all the contradictions that follow.

Would like to add Small Heath to that description, as that’s where I grew up, but was informed while drinking in the Emerald at the weekend, by one of the very few of my contemporaries who still lives there, that I’m merely a ‘tourist’ in that respect.

Very similar to you Mr Driscoll - except ancestors from Dublin. Grandad did serve a few years in the Irish Army and was stationed in Limerick for a time though.

They lived by St Andrews with my mom and her siblings and then moved towards the Yew Tree, he used to drink in the Emerald and later on around Hay Mills. He wasn’t really in to football but he had a soft spot for Blues
08:51, Tue 4 Feb
MSM
Old man is a Celtic supporter from Glasgow, old ladies family from Dublin but I’m English through and through. As an aside being brought up in inner city brum I was free to support who I liked really but I sussed out at an early age all of the kids with a bit about em went down the blues whereas most of the spotty fat divs supported villa. Even at the age of 7 I knew the score.
09:27, Tue 4 Feb
Fekk me Rog , you look good for 7 I
👍
... how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I am found,
Was blind, but now I see.